New Komet junkie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Joern Venaas, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Joern Venaas

Joern Venaas Member

I`m in the Komet zone and I can`t get out of it. First I bought a KF-50 Limited #22, and now I`m buying another one #23. I`ve had them both since they arrived, and they sound different from each others, even they have the same tubes (mullards, brimar, telefunken). Tubes and bias has a huge effect on this amp. I tried the Sovtek 12ax7s from my K-60 in the KF-50, and it sounded way to dark. So the amps are voiced very differently, but in the Komet tradition. No need for a OD pedal, the KF-50 does it all by itself, pure Komet sound. It`s such a thrill, working the volume control on my guitars (mostly a PRS Modern Eagle) with this amp.
    After a gig, a friend of mine said that the KF-50 sounded like a big Hammond B-3 organ, and I can definite see the resemblance here. By the way, Slash has just got one.
    I`m taking the Komet addiction to the max. I just sold my Diezel Herbert and cab. Ordered NOS tubes for my K-60 and got a K-80 that I think Ultrasound shipped yesterday. This amp out of 20, is 1 of 3 that Ken Fisher tweeked and signed. And I was told if I remember right, had a womans name instead of a s.n. and NOS tubes.
    Next thing is a Skrydstrup ampswitcher for my Komet addiction. Sorry for rambling.

Joern

2. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Nice - post pics of your Komets please!

Cheers

Nigel

3. Joern Venaas

Joern Venaas Member

Ok, I will take some pictures soon after the K-80 gets here.

4. Glaze

Glaze Member

Joern

Are you comfortable with posting a sonic review of the Komet 50 yet? I have played through several Komet 60 amps and that amp blows me away. I'm seriously considering buying a Komet 50, so I would appreciate any feedback on that amp.

Mike

5. Blueser

Blueser Member

Joern,

Have you played a Constellation yet? I have had an 80, two 60's, and have had the Constellation for more than two years. I have not played the 50 yet, though I am dying to hear one.

One thing that all the Komet amps have in common is the most incredible harmonic complexity that I have ever heard in any amp! When you get the amp on the edge, its seems as though every single note is an orchestra! That just kills me!

I favor the Constellation, as it has more gain than the 80, and 60, and gets it at less painful volumes. It also has that beautiful compression of the EL84s when its cooking that I really love. I thought the 60 had less gain, and more "air" surrounding the notes, with less compression, and I thought the 80 had the least gain of the three. The 80 had almost a JTM 45 thing going on. It's bluesy breakup was just incredible, and it had a bigger bottom than the 60.

All great amps for sure! I am a die hard Komet fan. I think Mike and Hogy, along with Tony Bruno are making the very best amps on the planet!

Enjoy!

B

6. Joern Venaas

Joern Venaas Member

I have not played a Constellation yet. I bet it`s an awesome amp, but I`m a bit sceptical to not have the full eq to dial in my own settings. And the sound clips I`ve heard, has this upper midrange sound I`m not so sure about. I only play PRS guitars, and the older ones has a lot of upper midrange, I`m trying to dial out.
    My purpose for having 4 Komets, are to use them in a wet/dry/wet system. A rack with a VHT 2/50/2 power amp, 2290, H-8000, Skrydstrup switching etc... A Bruno 4x12 with Celestion Heritage G12H, plus two 1x12 Diezel cabs loaded with EVs for the wet sounds.
    The K-80 will be used for clean sounds, the K-60 (that I think has more than enough gain) will be used for crunch, riffs, and all the 80`s hard rock sounds. One of the KF-50 will have a full blast lead sound. And the other one, I will experiment with different tubes to make it more smooth Eric Johnson kind of lead sound.

Joern

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While I haven't heard the KF50 or the K80, the K60 is the amp I use to measure all others....and not one has come close. Sounds like you're even more Kometose than me ;).

8. Glaze

Glaze Member

The Komet 60 just does things most amps can not do. Players who prefer non master volume amps and want the amp to respond to their playing instantly 'get it'. I really like that amps smooth transition from clean to overdrive.

I love what the Komet 60 does, but still I wanted more of a Marshall overdriven tone out of the Komet 60. That is the only thing that held me back from buying the Komet 60.

The Komet 50 sounds like what I really want. I would like to hear someone compare the Komet 50 and the Komet 60 to a vintage Plexi Marshall. That would give me a good idea due to I've played through the Komet 60 and owned several Plexi Marshalls.

Mike

9. Glaze

Glaze Member

Joern

What does the Komet 60 and the Komet 50 sound like compared to a Plexi Marshall to you?

The last time I seen Eric Johnson here he was using a Fulton Webb amp and a vintage Fender amp with it. The show before that was the vintage Marshall and the vintage Fender. I always liked Eric's lead tone through the Marshalls more than anything else he has ever used including the Dumble.

Mike

10. Joern Venaas

Joern Venaas Member

Mike

I have never owned a plexi Marshall, nor have I played one since the 80`s. But I don`t think they can be compared. The Marshall needs a good OD pedal to perform as an overdrive amp, the Komet don`t. The KF-50 and a plexi Marshall are both big sounding amps, and that`s where the similarities ends.

Joern

11. poutserman

poutserman Member

Once you've experienced a Komet i don't think you can go back to Marshall no matter how good it is.:RoCkIn

12. Glaze

Glaze Member

Joern

That is very true. Most guy's use effects with the Marshalls and most guy's interpretation of that tone who never owned a Marshall Plexi is some famous players tone off of one record who used a Marshall Plexi with effects and studio magic to get that tone.

I have played through the Komet 60 and it does not need a pedal in my opinion for more gain(atleast for the gain level I like). The Komet 60 has an extremely smooth transition from clean to overdrive just by how hard or soft you play without touching any controls on the amp. I simply thought it was one of the best amps I have ever played through.

I've heard the Komet 50 has more sustain and more bottom end.

Mike

13. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Mike, I would say the Komet60 is to an early '70's Marshall what the Komet50 is to a late '60's Marshall. The 50 has more bottom and the top end is a little softer.

14. Blueser

Blueser Member

Does the 50 have more gain than the 60? Also, are the cleans as sweet on the 50 as they are on the 60?

I wonder when the clips will be up? I also wonder when the standard production model will finally be released? Very tempting to say the least.

15. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

It has a little more gain the the 60 but really the amps are way more similar than they are different. It's just a bit softer,easier going, more forgiving an amp, just a bit.

16. Glaze

Glaze Member

Mark

I would prefer that on the Komet 50. I've heard the 50 has more sustain also. Only a few people who post on this forum have a Komet 50. I think several guy's are like me and waiting for the tolex version. The wood head box is far too nice. I actually want the tolex version just for taking it out and not having to worry about it too much if I end up buying one.

Mike

17. garyrogue

garyrogue Gold Supporting Member

Did all of the Limited wood head amps sell out?

18. poutserman

poutserman Member

I think that the K50 is an amp voiced with a strat in mind.My K60 sounds great with my strat but it goes into a whole other zone with my Les Paul.Everything from clean to scream without the use of any pedals.Killer rock lead sound,all the bass anyone would want,controlled feedback on any pitch.I think KF wanted the pure strat players to have the same:RoCkIn capability given the lower gain pickups on Strats.

19. Glaze

Glaze Member

Poutserman

I like your description of the Komet 50. Ever tried the Komet 60? What are the differences between the two Komet amps if you have?

I like an amp that will go into controlled feedback/sustain in a smooth musical way when you hold a note. Many non master volume amps will not do this very well and the sustain just dies off very quickly. I'm into this personally. It's kind of a Peter Green/Carlos Santana/Slash kind of thing that I like. Actually the best new non master volume amp I have played through that did this very thing the best was the Komet 60(one of the reasons why I want the Komet 50). The very best amp I ever had that did this was a malfunctioning vintage Marshall head that would slowly get the tubes too hot(glowing red) but the overdriven tone and sustain of that amp was just unbelievable(Think early EVH).

Mike

20. poutserman

poutserman Member

As i said in my previous post,i have a K60.It's beyond description.I think its the definitive Komet amp,the standard that all others should be judged by.About 20 years ago i passed on a Trainwreck as i was young and a product of channel switching but the sound of that amp stayed with me and nothing came close until i got my K60 last year.:D