New Komet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AnthonyL, Jun 2, 2005.

1. trisonic

trisonic Member

What? You mean like Leo Fender vs Western Electric?

Just kidding, everyone, please don't flame me.:cool:

Best, Pete.

2. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Formerly Gold57?? so you switch to 57Gold when you're ticked off? Alter-ego?

I guess it's OK to buy a limited run model, as long as there's also going to be a production run??

After all that you've posted, I wouldn't think you'd shell out the dough for the 'lawyer' model :rolleyes:

3. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

It's $4,850 I believe, for the limited version.

4. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

Steve, you know I dig ya, but your logic is a little flawed here. I've heard from competent techs that Ken incorporated many design elements from Vox, Marshall and Fender amps into his Trainwrecks. If I'm correctly understanding your "collaborative way vs. taking the ideas" argument, Ken Fisher should be chastised for not working collaboratively with Fender, Vox and Marshall...as should Mark Sampson, Tophat, /13, Komet, Germino, Blockhead, etc. I know, I know...this is a tired argument, and fingers can be pointed back a long way...disregard if you like.

peace
    -jeff

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Agreed Jeff. The Trainwreck I played sounded and reacted just like a brighter early 70s Marshall. :rolleyes: Maven Peal is one of the few companys that seem to be coming up with very new ideas IMO. Or at least trying to implement something totally different.

6. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

+1 on Maven Peal and original.
    the other I can think of would be Stephenson

7. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

First, I was responding to the poster that indicated that Ken may not be compensated for his work. But no problem Jeff, I'm always interested in your point of view.

I think I've been pretty consistent on where I stand with "inspired by" designs. Everybody has been inspired by everyone else---and I certainly think that Ken, Fred and Mark Sampson and others would agree. I just feel that Dr. Z and Komet (even BadCat if you wanna count Mark) are the benchmark of how to work with a living amp guru. I view individuals (Ken, Howard, Fred, etc.) much differently than corporations (Fender, Marshall, etc.). That may be flawed logic, but that's just me (I've got lots of flaws!). I'm rooting for the lone guy in his shop, busy creating magic with his talent and soldering iron.

8. 57gold

57gold Member

KF is compensated for work on Komets, AirBrakes, Rx ES...my point is the fact that KFs unwillingness to date to JV with respect to Express, Rocket, and Liverpool production with great folks like Dr. Z and Komet makes only the wealthy collector/high end dealers who trade the few made once in a while the financial beneficiaries of these cool instruments. And, the sad part is that very few players, pros and hobbyist alike, get to experience their particular form of tonal voodoo!

With repsect to my willingness to buy a special version in tone wood...if Hogy says the wood makes a difference, I'm sure it does.

Once again, my point was and is that the Ltd. Edition crap is low grade marketing. I'm not a cheapskate, don't mind paying up for quality and have for amps, guitars and NOS tubes....but the anal, numbered BS, the "Franklin Mint" planned scarcity in order to increase perceived value is BS, IMO!

9. Glaze

Glaze Member

Hogy

I'm one of those guy's who would rather have one covered in regular black tolex. The Komet 60 looks cool and it's road worthy.

I hope this amp will become a regular item in tolex and curent tubes, but I will understand if it does not. I know Ken is extremely picky about tubes and components, so he may feel it should not be released any other way. I know he can no longer buy certain parts that he prefers because certain things are no longer in production. I had a conversation with Ken about a certain brand of tone/volume control pot that he said was the best ever made and that brand is no longer in production just as an example. The electronics market changes so fast over the years...

Current production tubes just do not measure up to some of the very best NOS tubes made. Quality seems to go up and down with some brands of tubes currently in production.

Mike

10. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

Hogy:

So the regular production after the 30 limited edition will have the same circuitry, OT, PT, choke, chassis, and controls, just not the same shell and Tubes, right?

Thanks

11. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

Closed to what I figured....I thought it was going to be in the $5000 margin..I missed for $250....

So I take that the regular production will be in the same price range as the other current Komets around the $3,400.....

12. garyrogue

garyrogue Gold Supporting Member

Hogy
    Have you tried current production tubes in it for sound qualitly?
    The amp is not so tweaked to NOS that they are required.

Will it still have bias points and knob for adjusting?

13. GasMask

GasMask Member

$2,500 Bruno Cowtipper 22
    $2,000 Germino Lead 55
    ----------
    $4,500 (cheap)

maybe we can split the money I just saved you? :D

14. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I don't disagree ... it doesn't make sense to you or me, maybe, but there are people to whom it does. They want to own something that very few others have. I haven't played a Signature Two Rock. But I know that I like the standard Two Rocks well enough, that there's nothing they could improve upon well enough for me to shell out $6 or $7K.... that's just me, but there are many that will.

That was part of the logic behind me buying the Constellation Prototype last week. It's nice and all that it was owned by Ken Fischer, and has a letter of documentation. I'm not really a collector, but I know that stuff means alot to certain people, and that I'd not likely lose any money selling it, if I choose to do so.

15. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

Aw Man..............now you're making me feel bad about my Komet 80 #7! I guess I'll have to put it on ebay and make a couple grand!;) :D

16. 57gold

57gold Member

you savy investor...maybe you can find K 60 #7 and Constellation #7 and offer a unique " matched" set to some chucklehead with more money than brains for $20K, maybe more if KF breathed on them and you have supporting documentation.

Guy would have some great (albeit expensive) amps and you would have his $ and could go make some more cagey investments.

I'll just play my amps and leave the Ltd. Edition maket to others who get their kicks from that BS.

17. Blueser

Blueser Member

Uhhhh...Right.....I think everyone got your point the 6th time you stated it! :rolleyes:

Are there any other salient points you'd like to make other than you don't believe in Ltd. Edition BS, and that only doctors and lawyers with more money than brains would actually buy them.

Maybe you can troll over to Harmony Central and drop your opinion on them 8 or 9 times!

18. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

I think you're being a little hard on the guy...way too hard, in fact. Why on earth do you care that Butch is comfortable dropping $4850.00 on an amp? It's not your cash he's spending. You also can't fault Hogy and Co. for charging that much, and for making a limited run. Hogy is being smart--he knows full-well the perceived additional value of an amp that has KF's design, signature and seal of approval. And he knows that there are people out there who will pay big bucks to obtain that perceived additional value. The limited run simply further enables him to keep his price steep, and ensures he won't have any surplus (after, there aren't that many people out there who desire the TW sound AND have that kind of coin to drop on an amp). How can you be pissed at the guy for being an astute businessman?

It's really simple--if you think his practices are less than commendable or ridiculous, don't buy an amp from him.

peace
    -jeff

19. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

57gold........check this out! My amp is the only amp of the 20 that wasn't shipped out. It was actually picked up by me at Komet headquarters, placed in the exact center of the vehicle, so as not to get rattled around and then stored in a 70 degree climate. This is the optimum temperature in which the Komet can actually increase in tone and also resale. Wouldn't you agree?:D

20. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

did you make sure the rear window's were exactly 2 3/8" open?
    that real important for the midrange to bloom. :D Great post! VDG