New Komet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AnthonyL, Jun 2, 2005.

1. TheQuakerPimp

TheQuakerPimp Member

I'm a very busy working musician and this is the first time I'm posting on a forum...
    I think 57gold has a few good points ( i don't agree with all of them ). As a working musician, you only have a limited budget to work with, so when an amp finally comes along that blows you away and you know that if you have it, and that it can take your playing and live performance to a new level... you save up for it for months or much longer. I know because I went through it when I found the Constellation. I like that Holger and Mike maintain production on this amp as it is a very inspiring amp to play. I grew up 2 towns over from Ken Fischer in Jersey, and first got to hear his amps (trainwrecks) played by BB from BB and the Stingers (jersey band). I was blown away by his playing and his tone and was extremely dissappointed when i contacted Ken to find out that he was no longer building them. Ken is an artist in his own right and I'm sure he has his reasons for keeping the amps from being produced... he's designed several amps that will no doubt go down in history for being awe inspiring, but it's also frustrating that so many talented guitar players are being denied the ability to create new art based on his designs while wealthy collectors hold on to them like baseball cards doing them an injustice.
    Builders like Greg Germino have shown that there is no need to get that vintage marshall any more... that the technology exists that a person in his home can build a marshall better than even marshall can.
    In regards to supply and demand, there are plenty of talented amp gurus in business right now, and there are even more electrical engineering students with amazing soldering technique and attention to detail that would be willing to work inexpensively for a building gurus, which could increase production and lower costs for everyone, but of course, that can appear to be a daunting undertaking for an amp builder who is used to working solo.
    My big question is.... Why can't Komet be authorized to build me a Liverpool? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Constellation and will be happy with it forever, but I would just love to know why Ken is holding onto these designs. He's been sharing his knowledge with ultimateguitargear.com, so I'm wondering why he can't share the circuits with serious players as well.

2. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

that's exactly what I experienced in my Constellation this weekend, Hogy ... the microphonic tube didn't reveal itself until the amp was cranked and the cab was picking up the vibrations ....

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Jeff,
    You have never tapped a tuning fork and held it against an object to make it audible? :confused: Thats how I learned to tune a guitar. :) No electronic tuners here! (Probably why Im always out of tune as well) :mad: ;)

4. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

Absolutely. I used to tune my acoustic with a tuning fork for years when I first started playing. Strangely enough, I never made the connection...never realized that my guitar could, essentially, function like a tuning fork. Hey, I never once said I was bright, haha.

peace
    -jeff

5. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

That was funny to me!:D

6. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

Me too! I didn't a guitar tuner till way in to my career, you know the fork's with the round end? I would would stick it in my ear and
    give it a flick and tune that way at gig's. VDG

7. Colt

Colt Member

hell, hogy, just put mine in a cardboard box....

hehehe

Komets and Dabecks are my fav. amps to date.

8. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

I really don't see the price tag as outrageous at all. Hand built amps cost a lot to build (trust me, I know), and the attention to detail and quality of components that Komet employs have to take an extraordinary amount of man hours. When you consider the time+parts (including NOS tubes and whatever limited wood they use)+unparalleled construction and a famous design and the fact that those amps are built for more than a lifetime, it begins to look like a bargain to the serious player. A lot of guys spend way more than that on golf clubs or rims for their cars. I mean, even if it comes out to $5,000, there'll never be an amplifier that is built any better, and if the sound does it for you, you may just stop chasing all the other amps out there and settle down with one. Spread that cash over the years of use you get out of it... seems downright reasonable to me.

Atomic

9. guitarpkr76

guitarpkr76 Guest

Butchr,

I live in Alexandria also and would like to get together and play sometime. I've talk with you before at the campgrounds. Shoot me an email at guitarpkr76@gmail.com. Take it easy.

10. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

Any updates available????

11. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Member

Then I think Oprah might be one of the first few in line!!

12. RobertMiller

RobertMiller Member

Can't resist chiming in.

For me, the appeal of a "boutique" amp is not just in tone, but knowing that I can trust the build quality. The K60 that I play is the same amp that Knopfler plays, except for tubes. Not that I'm a Knopfler wanna be, but I don't have to worry that his or any other pro's amp got more attention to detail than mine. I've had a few lemons over the years, even had a "high end" amp catch fire at a sound check because of an internal design flaw. Anything can happen, but if my K60 or any Komet amp malfunctions, it won't be because someone on an assembly line wasn't paying attention, was in a rush, substituted cheap parts, etc. This is likely true of other "boutique" amp makers as well, but I can only speak for the Komet amps cause I have seen it firsthand.

Regarding price and availability to artists - I don't buy into the fact that artist are being denied access or suffering for lack of access to products. There are more options available to all players across the price spectrum now than ever before, IMO. You don't need to spend a bunch of money to make a valid artistic statement. But even if I'm wrong, isn't all great art borne of suffering?:D

13. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Member

George Lynch plays the K60 too...

14. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

The new amp is supposed to be out sometime in August. I'm trying to be patient.:)

15. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

HAH,HAH....me too! I keep looking at their website for an update....

-- Barr

16. CPA

CPA Member

I'm trying to be patient. I have a 60 and 80 and am waiting for the next one to come along!

17. elambo

elambo Member

Any news on this?

18. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

Yes. We saw the finished head boxes Friday, and they are absolutely stunning pieces of art. The cabinet maker outdid himself.

We won't sell any until all 30 are built and burned in. Half of them are done.
    We want to hear them all side by side to tube them out and make sure they are all on the same level.

Anybody interested should call Ken or Gene at Ultrasound. Contact info can be found at www.kometamps.com .

Mods: if this is considered Spam, please move it to the dealer section.

Hogy, Komet Amplification

19. jjguitarranch

jjguitarranch Member

I'm on the list at Ultrasound and have not been contacted. Should I be concerned?

20. Timmo

Timmo Member

No matter how you try and 'slice it' Komets are NOT Trainwrecks!
    I wish they were but they aren't.
    Two Rocks are NOT Dumbles!
    I wish they were but they aren't.
    Do I want to try the KF50..........Hell yeah! :AOK