New Korg SDD-3000 Delay Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratchamp57, Jul 9, 2014.

1. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

I still question the $399 price tag... How long before the first round of flips happens?

FYI:
    MF, AMS, GC are in stock now.

2. mirrorball

mirrorball Member

Sadly, I had less time this weekend to play around with it than I had hoped, and I wasn't able to compare with my teacher's Timeline. So no review from me just yet.

One non-tone criticism I have though is the placement of the input and output jacks on the back. The input jack is on the far left (looking down at the pedal) while the output is a few inches to the right of it. Not the end of the world, but it will require a couple extra-long patch cables.

3. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

:huh

4. Plexico

Plexico Silver Supporting Member

Bump for reviews please!

5. Stanley

Stanley Member

Believe on one of the U2 forums one guy has has received his and he says it nails the SDD3000 rack however of course need more opinions

6. lanny

lanny Member

Dallas Schoo mentioned this pedal to me 3 years ago, I had forgotten about it:)
    I picked one up last Saturday. It's already in my main board:)
    I've owned half a dozen 3K's over the years, and helped develop the Union 'More'(which was originally going after the Korgs preamp)
    The new Korg is pretty impressive, in many ways exceeds the old Korg. It's 'thick' sounding like the original but useable in a live situation. It has a number of extra features that don't exist on the MK1, which will appeal to players into elaborate setups, MIDI etc. It's intuitive but the manual is a bit vague IMHO.
    I can't seem to program a simple panning echo or control the delay time and feedback independently. With that said, menus and deep tweaking quickly make my eyes glaze over. I tried to power it with a PP2, not enough amperage, the factory wart is rated at 600ma. I am very excited about this unit. Way to go Dallas and Korg!

7. Stanley

Stanley Member

lanny

Cool you got it - yeah the power supply is a bit annoying as I was hoping to power it from my boards PSU, oh well can't have it all.

So marks out of 10 - does it really nail the SDD3000 rack or is their some compromises in sound

8. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. Obviously it's not 'the same' But it probably is the same digital engine, running the SDD-3000 program, with a analog preamp and dry through.

So similar. Not the same.

9. lanny

lanny Member

My initial low volume puttering shows it's spot on but easier. The MK1 is really fussy to use live.
    In my opinion, it's a waste of time to have a conclusion on the unit until I/others try it in a real environment, not the 'white tube sock, staring at the amp at low volume' Youtube test:)
    A loud rehearsal/gig will be the test, along with a recording session to see how it sits. The bank switches, TT and A/B selector are simple enough, the footswitches are not too close together, all great points ergonomically.

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

But that is the real TGP environment. :aok

I really want one of these.

11. yucatown

yucatown Gold Supporting Member

I've had mine for a week and love it. I'm not trying to emulate The Edge, so my criteria is not to see how close it gets to the rack unit.

First, the preamp on this thing is total kick ass. It really has a certain tonality to it that results in a voxish tone even through non Vox amps. As far as the delays, I've been goofing around with the presets and I love the SDD3000, tape and modern modes. I feel the cosmic mode is a bit lacking, although I'm only referring to the presets. I probably need to spend more time on that mode. Reverse is very cool. Analog is also good with tweaking. I do like the tape better, though. Pitch is awesome. Can't comment on panning without a stereo setup.

Overall, I love it. I've had the Timeline twice, and both times I got rid of it. The sdd sounds more "real" or in your face, if that makes any sense. The Timeline sounded like software to me, whereas this seems to retain a more live feel to it.

I'll post some clips later.

12. Stanley

Stanley Member

Yucatown,

Thanks for the info, I too am on my second timeline but don't really get on with the interface. This is more up my street with all the parameters available like the rack, nothing important hidden.

Does it come with a multi international power supply (changeable) like a lot do nowadays or was it strictly a US power supply

13. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

Looking forward to them!

14. yucatown

yucatown Gold Supporting Member

Hey Stanley, I'm not sure. I'll take a look when I get home.

15. lanny

lanny Member

The sdd sounds more "real" or in your face, if that makes any sense.

Well put.

16. embrionic

embrionic Member

I have had the SDD-3000 pedal for about a week now, here is my "out-of-the-gate" review/early thoughts:

Only studio usage so far as we are wrapping up our new recordings, so no gig/rehearsal testing yet... September. None-the-less, I did crank it up!

Some background on my thoughts here: I am not an Edge or U2 fan per-se, really respect and love lots of the playing and their music, but I am not in any way chasing the Edge's sound (even though it is sometimes impossible to use delay without conjuring the Edge or his awesome tones and soundscapes)

That being said, long before I knew the Edge even used the rack unit, I acquired an SDD-3000 many years ago (like about when the Edge got his probably :) and it remained a staple in my rig and in the studio I have run for nearly two decades. I have owned three different units, the last one I sold off about two years ago simply because I could no longer deal with dragging the rack around for gigs, it had become quite valuable, and I went to all pedals (other than my still active tape echo). Having gone on a serious delay quest for the past couple of years owning/testing many of the TGP favorites, I can pretty confidently say that Korg nailed it.

The SDD-3000 pedal simply sounds great, is super versatile, all controls are accessible, most programmable, and control via expression over every nearly every parameter that is programmable is implemented beautifully. I do not know of another unit that does this. You can essentially have two sounds per preset provided they use the same algo (e.g. resonant flanger all the way to 4 sec delay with no modulation, all with the expression pedal!). The delays sit beautifully in the mix and blends in a way that so many digital delays do not.

While I no longer have an original unit to compare directly, and I hope someone does so soon, the pedal is clearly in the ballpark of the rack in terms of the preamp and the SDD-3000 mode. Adjustment of the input/output attenuators allows a wide variety of ways to push the front of your amp, as so many players do with this unit, to achieve a slightly compressed / warm tone with a touch of rolloff in the super lows, and touch of sparkle. The "burn" and responsiveness that you feel from the amp when the preamp is driving the tubes just right, to my ears, is spot on with the rack, and perhaps just a tad quieter. It should be noted that driving the input or output does add noise, but you are adding 30db gain so that is not unusual. The rack was the same way. A bit noisy but glorious with that signature chime. :)

The functionality and layout is near perfect with a few odd bits noted below that I would love to hear other's opinions on.

Oh yeah.... I also own a delay lab, and find it to be a quirky but very good sounding delay when in analog dry mode. As far as I can tell the algorithms for the added models on the SDD pedal are similar, but really impossible to tell or get identical results given the very different nature of the controls. The SDD model (yes it is a model according to Korg) is different than anything on the delaylab. If they borrowed a bit from the delay lab base code to design the added algorithms for the SDD, so be it, but the units are very different sounding and it seems clear the SDD was engineered from the ground up with some extras thrown in. I am glad they did! The reverse mode on the delay lab is the best I have ever heard, and in fact sounds a bit better than reverse on the SDD (still excellent but less controllable and a bit less smooth on the attack for shorter delay times).

BTW, I have had access and used TC 2290's over the years as well, but only studio and never direct guitar rig use. I think the "modern" algo may be 2290 based.

The panning mode, if used in mono, can simulate a triangle wave tremolo-like delay, with control over the speed of the trem. It is a very cool sound.

Other observations/odd bits:

The SDD model is designed with lower output than the other models when using the same "dry/wet mix" settings. Most controls for the SDD model respond differently than the other modes. For example, if you set the SDD to "constant parameter mode" meaning you can switch between delay algo's and the knob settings stay the same, the output will drop when you select SDD-3000 mode, and the modulation depth changes etc. I would venture they were trying to be as accurate as possible for SDD mode and wanted knob settings on the pedal to match sound-for-sound the rack unit, but this gain structure/knob response may not have made sense for the other models, which all seem consistent with each other.

Moving the dry/wet mix can introduce a slightly audible tick at some levels, but only while actively adjusting. I am guessing this may be gain staging switching in the unit, or my unit has an issue (don't think it's the latter, but just the design). Because wet/dry mode can be expression controlled, if you are playing very softly, you may here this "tick" as the knob is swept by expression pedal, but you'd really have to listen for it.

The LCR delay setting process is indeed confusing, and the manual somewhat nebulous on this point. I know I will figure it out soon, but it seems a bit counter-intuitive.

The unit reads out BPM (cool) when tapping in delay time in "sync" mode, but you can not make adjustments to the BPM /delay time in any other way, only the subdivision. I would hope Korg would fix that with a firmware update if possible. In other words, if you want to have delay at exactly 120bpm, you have to nail it with tapping, or look up the delay time needed in ms. The tap seems very responsive and feels good. Some pedals simply fail on this front with too many taps needed or poor tap-averaging that leads to large jumps in the bpm/time.

Size: The pedal is big, indeed, but no more so than the delaylab, FBX4, DL4 etc. If you want four switches to stomp, I don't see how they could have made it smaller and also avoided hidden menus etc (no thanks).

That's all I've got for now other than to say if you are looking for a midi-controllable, programmable digital delay that is versatile, warm, and sits right in the mix, make room for the SDD-3000 pedal whether you are an Edge fan or not!

woh... that was a lot to say about this not-so-little gem! Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Greyblooz and mcuguitar like this.
  17. papersun

papersun Member

excellent writeup.

18. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Good to hear some reports coming in! :aok

Anyone tried it in stero yet, does it do true dual delays?

19. HP Hovercraft

HP Hovercraft Member

Great writeup embrionic!

That seems like a huge oversight.

20. embrionic

embrionic Member

I would agree and I hope they fix it to allow fine-tuning of bpm... But the unit sounds so good it is not a deal breaker :)