New Korg SDD-3000 Delay Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stratchamp57, Jul 9, 2014.

1. embrionic

embrionic Member

I don't run stereo but if you tell me what to test for I will give it a shot and report back.

2. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

Not many delays readout in BPM. I think the Timeline is the only one. I know the Timefactor uses ms also. Should easily be fixable though. Wish all pedals did it in BPM. You can still finetune the tempo in ms.

3. treeuh

treeuh Member

I'd say most digital delays do display bpm. Timefactor, Nova, Timeline, Delaylab, M9,...

4. dealmaker

dealmaker Member

Thanks Embrionic - excellent write up....think one is on the list now...

5. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Thanks, like if in SDD-3000 mode, can you have separate left and right delays that can be controlled individually? :)

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

Would like to know as well. It seems like it can from the manual, but couldn't tell for sure. I'd like to be able to set ms independently.

7. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Yeah, the manual sure is a mess :D :huh

8. Desiknow

Desiknow Member

Hey Guys.

I purchased and received my SDD-3000 pedal on Saturday.
    My initial thoughts - its great! I love the SDD setting. Spongy and in-your-face.
    Its just beautiful.
    I also have a Timeline and and seriously considering removing it from my board.

I am a U2 fanatic and don't mind the lack of a great "ice/shimmer" type setting as I haven't used the preset in quite a while since I have a H9 handling all that type of stuff.

As some have already stated my biggest gripe is that you can tap in or set the ms with a pot but when it comes to note based rhythms (ie. quarter note, half note, etc.) you have no way to adjust the BPM manually. You can only tap in the BPM and try to get as close as possible, then save - the display will show you the bpm tempo you are tapping in but thats it.
    I emailed their support and even went as far as asking if the BPM's can be tapped in via midi and the answer was "no."

The expression port in the back cannot take a tap tempo pedal either which annoyed me because I was willing to have a little work around by picking up a Visual Sound Time Bandit.

I turned around and asked them if the unit was setup to take firmware updates so I can have a hope that they will correct this issue but they have not responded yet. I guess we are going to have to get a little noisy in-order for them to correct this issue. It appears that they only consulted Dallas and the Edge and not a lot of live players with real world rigs that would need what has become a super common feature especially at $400.

BUT...besides the BPM issue I can say that I am in love! Sure beats trying to snag a rack unit on eBay.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

Also - can it do dual delays in mono?

10. embrionic

embrionic Member

this is where it seems non-intutive as i noted but still trying to figure out. OK, when using the unit in mono:

LCR does create multi-tap type sounds, but it seems to be impossible to control the times individually. "R.Time" to adjust the right delay/feedback is not available in LCR mode, and when LCR mode is off you can only hear a single tap anyway, even though you can adjust the "R. Time". I will have some time next week to run stereo tests.

I sought some clarification from Korg on LCR mode and the response was a similarly vague "When in L/C/R mode, the independent delay times for the right channel are disabled and it will output L/C/R based on the algorithm for this mode."

uh... ok... so what is the algorithm? Can it be adjusted?

Reminder... the SDD-3000 Pedal sounds great! :)

11. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

Got it - thanks! Maybe we need some input from Dallas. :)

12. andy888

andy888 Member

13. Stanley

Stanley Member

14. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Just do a bit of math and use ms?

15. andy888

andy888 Member

yeah true enough

16. Balok

Balok Member

Good demo here:

No mention of analog dry through.

17. embrionic

embrionic Member

there are now apps available for most smartphones that have replaced the ubiquitous "delay time/bpm chart" that was once found taped next to the delays in most studio racks. easy! still i do hope they fix it.

18. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

Would love to see a PGS demo or better a Shnobel demo comparing it to about 10 other delays. I don't really care about the other modes. I just want to hear an in depth review if the sdd 3000 mode.

19. Stanley

Stanley Member

I received mine today, I used to own the rack version for many years. I think Korg have a winner here!!!!

Unlike the rack I love how the knobs all display a specific parameter value on the LED display when tweaked hence you have incremental settings displayed

e.g. instead of turning a knob to 3 like the rack, the LED displays 2.8 / 2.9 / 3.0 etc therefore incremental steps / values that can be recorded exact.

Nice to use one foot for banking etc (never like how the Timeline did it, though the Korg is a large pedal)

The preamp has also been confirmed in an email to Korg to be all analog and not digital as some people may have suspected.

Overall im loving it so far and although not as many fancy delay options as the Timeline, I'm loving the SDD mode (not got to the other delay modes yet)

its dead quiet also even with the preamp at full pelt, no old rack hum / hiss etc.

20. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Is the PSU multivoltage, aka 110-240V?

Considering picking one up from the US, and would be nice to know if I need to buy a PSU or just change to EU plug.