New Landry LS100M AMP Review!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bushkey, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Bushkey

Bushkey Southpaw Member

I got my LS100M on Thursday(#3). YAY! This is Bill Landry's new "Modified" take on his original LS100. It basically has more low mids, more distortion, and more Clean head room. I think the "M" stands for MORE. I waited 5 weeks for it. Man is it a serious amp! I'm typically a low wattage amp player, and this is my first 100watter. But, I must say, the global Master Volume on it is amazing! I have played a lot of nice amps, ones with great MV's, but I have never seen one like this. It works so well, it works better then my Aracom Pro attenuator. I'm so happy to have those quality cranked tones at levels that don't split my ears and don't kill my relationship with my neighbors. Solid Work Bill! SO, Shall I break it down further? My first impression after 3 days of play:

TUBES: My M came with the 6L6's that Bill recommended to me. 4 6l6's(100 watts). Yes, 6l6's sound great! very punchy and crisp. clean ch shines with L6's. Gain channels sound modern and HiFi, but the amp still has warmth do to the thick mids. I pulled 2 tubes, and ran it at 50 watts. sounded great too. basically same tone with tad softer attack(dont let the word soft fool you).
    NOW, I put in EL34's! I kept it at 50 watts and put in some NOS Mullard XF2 El34's. Wow, More my tone. Yes, I had to back of the mids on the controller to match up with the warm mids of the 34's. Wow again. I know the other gents are liking the 6550's and 6L6's in this amp, but I personally am loving the 34's. To me, It adds a little more color and warmth that I love. For now, I will be keeping it at 50 watts with the 34's. I also changed up all the preamp tubes as well. I put all NOS tubes in except for the Pi. I always use a gold pinned Tungsol in the Pi. Very good modern tube that is linear for the Pi. I also like to use a Telefunken in the clean Ch position. Vintage Mullard and Amperex for the rest
    All my tube changes made a big difference. Made a Killer amp even more musical.
    Im playing with quality vintage output humbuckers on a Gibson Les Paul and Gibson SG. 4x12 Mojotone/Marshall Cabinet. Celestion Greenbacks and G12h's. Mogami & Van Den Hul Cables.
    TONE:
    Clean Channel- The clean channel is wonderful with lots of headroom. Don't plan on camping here for dirty tones, this is all about clean. Only gets a tad dirty when cranking the gain knob. Very fendry with it's own character. I am still bonding with it and still need to tweak some more. Sounds great with my pedals, takes pedals very well. I think its pretty darn good for a ch switcher.
    Channel 2-Red CH.- Oh ya baby! This is why I bought it. The amp isn't even broken in yet, and it just kills. I like the depth knob at 12 o'clock and the bass at 4 o'clock, and its so bold and beefy with good crunch at lower gains, and chest pounding rhythms at full gain. Tight low end, beefy and articulate at the same time. This is not a high mids very warm marshall tone. This amp has some hot rodded marshallisc tones, but a little darker, and tighter. To me, It's a hot-rodded Marshall 800 meets VHT meets Boogie. I am a Tool/Adam Jones fan, and even though Adam uses two amps(Marshall & Deisel, {old Tool-Marshall with Boogie}) to get his tone, I think this amp can get close by itself. It's a very universal amp that covers a lot of range. (That's what I wanted). I have owned high gain amps that didn't do dirty overdrive very well. This amp does the full range of over-driven dirty tones. Key word is Overdrive. The amp does overdrive and distortion well. My last high gain amp did gain distortion very well, but when you rolled back the gain knob, it just sounded like weaker high gain tones. Not here. Overdrive and high gain distortion in one box with a flick of a chicken knob. This amp goes from sweet dirt to metal mania. It's not a Scooped mid metal amp, but the way I here the lower mid bump, I feel that it does metal well. Very open crunchy and beefy......Are my adjectives getting out of hand yet....LOL. I think the tone is well balanced over the tonal spectrum. Not to much of this and not to little of that. and it has the ability to get thicker then a Marshall. While it is darker then the original 100, due to more low mids, it's still capable of Lots of highs if you still want them.
    Channel 3-Yellow Ch: Some amps I have played that have a high gain boost, I feel the boost kinda squashes and compresses the tone too much. I find that the Landry holds onto the note detail even at the highest gain boost setting. No squash here! Freakin awesome gain tones! Im in love. More gain then you will ever need. way more gain then any marshall/marshall clone that I have played. Put your ear plugs in and hold on while you feel it pound you in your chest!
    Side Notes:
    *Goes to show you how versatile this amp is. Bill loves the 6l6’s and ET-65 speakers. I love the EL34’s with Greenbacks and G12H’s. Neither of us are lying to you. I am running a 4x12 Mojotone/Marshall Cab with 4 greenbacks, and 2M's & 2H's mixed. The H's help the clean channel, but I love the 4 greenies with the tight distortion of this amp. I think this amp will sound great with lots of speakers. Im sure Vintage 30's will win it too.

*Effects loop. Parallel Looper. Guilty, have not messed with it yet. soon.

*Build Quality. I took the chassis out and took a looksee. Looks well built and well organized. Solid quality parts. Monstrous Tonemaster transformers.
    *Very quiet amp! floor noise is the lowest I have yet to experience on a high gain amp. just reeks quality.
    *Sustain for days!
    *Reverb. Accutronics spring reverb tank. Standard quality spring tank. Almost plate like.
    *Master volume. Insane! Worth the price of admission on its own. Rock this monster amp in your bedroom.
    *Customer Service: Bill is a sweet man, excellent player, great amp builder, and he will go out of his way to answer questions. He wants happy customers. It's always a pleasure to talk to Bill.

*My only complaint at this point, there is no indicator light/pilot light to show you that the amp is on when set to the clean channel. Gain channels have small LED lights, but no way to tell the amp is on in clean mode; especially with all that black going on. I have already shared this with Bill, and I am going to add a jewel light next to the standby switch soon. Can only switch channels from the foot pedal. Would love a small toggle on the amp itself to channel switch as well.

If you like high gain amps, you really should give this one a try. It is addictive to play and feels fast and free. I'm really enjoying this amp, and I am glad I took the chance on it. If you want a Marshall clone, look else where. If you want a better Marshall inspired, highly universal amp, that has quality and influential tones, going from clean to organized insanity, and stands on its own, this is it. This one is not for your sister. This amp has some serious ballz!:dude
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

to be continued......

(just one crazy mans crazy opinion)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. Guitarfool

Guitarfool Supporting Member

Very cool review, sounds like you like tha amp

I heard one and played one a while back from a fellow forum member and i remember it just being a very nice sounding amp, big warm and just rocked out a big thick Marshall type sound, i dug it for sure. Im not sure if his was EL 34 or 6L6 but it was nice

HNAD enoy and make a quick clip when you have a chance

3. gtTelejoe

gtTelejoe Member

Sounds like a great amp. I smiled when you changed the power tubes to EL34's and what nice ones to boot. I'm with ya. Great review!

4. Bushkey

Bushkey Southpaw Member

Updated with photos. Baddass Black & White.

5. gtTelejoe

gtTelejoe Member

6. Mad Monk

Mad Monk Member

Great review and thanks for the pictures!

I believe mine is next or the one after that. Really looking forward to rolling some NOS tubes through it.

7. Bushkey

Bushkey Southpaw Member

Bump to share with more Readers. I would love for Bill Landry to be recognized for making a great Amp.

8. bmenary

bmenary Member

I have an LS100- Best amp in the house- I will write more about it later- Rockin amp-

9. pima1234

pima1234 Member

Do the facebook share. Bump for Landrys!

10. Bushkey

Bushkey Southpaw Member

bump. Still love it.

11. B-Squared

B-Squared Member

Played my LS-100M (Serial #2!) last night at a gig...sounded incredible--I really love goosing it on the front end with my Analogman-modded TS-9.

Here's a few pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a great night! The amp was screamin'... :D

BB

12. gtTelejoe

gtTelejoe Member

That just looks like all kinds of fun!

Glad the amp kept up and delivered the goods.

13. Mad Monk

Mad Monk Member

I have #4. More to come after I get a proper cab for it.

Fantastic amp!

14. Bushkey

Bushkey Southpaw Member

Here you go Bill, Let there be Jewel lights!:warning:aok

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  15. Landry amps

Landry amps Member

Man, that looks good! I ordered some red and purple ones. They should be here this week, and will be on all new amps.

16. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I'd like to read the OP .... but would it be possible to add in some carriage returns?

17. Bushkey

Bushkey Southpaw Member

I have every color, and I think the White and purple look the best. In this picture is the purple, but it looks blue here. In person it's very purple. Jewel lights are cool...HA!

18. B-Squared

B-Squared Member

Bill gets his in tomorrow. Spent the afternoon at his place. :D

BB

19. Landry amps

Landry amps Member

I apologize for my ignorance, but what does that mean?

20. Structo

Structo Member

I think he means paragraphs.

That is a cool detail to have the front valance velcro mounted to access the preamp tubes.

Love to see some gut shots of the chassis.