NEW Laney LA30BL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by menlow, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Nick79

Nick79 Member

Couldn't resist it anymore - I've caved in and bought one. Should be here in a couple of days!

primal, OgamiZ and Phloored like this.
  2. Nick79

Nick79 Member

Its here. Everything you guys have said is spot on, it sounds incredible and i haven't even had chance to really crank it yet.

3. davey77

davey77 Member

Anyone who has one want to take gut shots of these? I’m just curious on why these are inexpensive and if they’re handwired made in England?!

4. Nick79

Nick79 Member

I have. It's all pcb, no turret board in sight. Possibly hand populated pcb but i've shown pics of it to a highly respected amp tech that i trust and his opinion is it's not hand populated. Could be wrong?
    I've no doubt the headshell and chassis itselff is made in uk, and i've no reason to think the pcb isn't either. But i am a bit pissed that Laney haven't been honest about it. It's a glorious sounding amp, and is obviously built to a high standard so in my opinion is still worth what they are asking for them but i do wish they had been honest - I would still have got one but wouldn't have a slightly sour taste in my mouth.

davey77 and OgamiZ like this.
  5. Tisca

Tisca Member

Got photos to show here also?

6. Nick79

Nick79 Member

There you go
    "

I do want to stress that i really do like this amp a lot - Laney have done a fantastic thing by making it, and it sounds, feels, and looks superb. I'm not sure why we have been mislead, like i said i would still have bought it.
    I was very curious as to how it was built, a handwired turret board amp (which i believe they were alluding to) for £800?? I couldn't see it. Hence why curiosity got the better of me.

Tisca likes this.
  7. OgamiZ

OgamiZ Member

The truth is finally out! ;)

Great amp I love mine but Was also under the impression that Laney were using hand wired turret main board with some pcb involved also, I actually quoted them a while back in this very thread saying so on their facebook page.

Like you I'm a bit disappointed in some of the early marketing that went on in the early announcement of this amp. I'm not annoyed enough to send it back or anything because I'm kinda hooked on it now but Laney should have been a bit more straight forward about what you were getting for £879, when you think about it though we probably should have known better because you're not really likely to get a handwired all turret board vintage based amp at that price anywhere. More like £1400, so yes I do think the amp is worth the asking price especially as it's made in the UK.

But shame on whoever it was from Laney that said the LA30 was handwired turret board! It's also still in some of the description of the amp at some online stores

And Finally this:

[​IMG]

I don't want to finish on a bad note though, the LA30BL is a really great sounding amp with beautiful cleans, an awesome crunch tone & takes pedals extremely well, & as long as you go in knowing your getting a very well made & great sounding PCB & Not TURRET BOARD based amp you should definitely be happy with your purchase.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Nick79 likes this.
  8. davey77

davey77 Member

Thank you so much for doing this!!! It answers so many questions haha... I might get one soon now

9. davey77

davey77 Member

I remember going to this past winter namm with my buddy and we ask the Laney engineer if it was pcb or handwired and he said it was handwired haha. And when I saw the price I questioned it. My Orange OR50 was $1400 new and basically the same board, just with more gain and master volume footswitch option. Laney is still an awesome company and an awesome amp that I’m looking into buying in the future. I think it’s a decent price too for this amp.

10. Nick79

Nick79 Member

You're welcome mate. If you get one you won't regret it, its sounds great. And it takes pedals better than any amp i've had before - Currently loving a ts9 mini and the ti boost with it, my pedals have never sounded so good.

11. Sterling#Sound

Sterling#Sound Member

It's a pity.. but indeed maybe too good to be true.

12. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Really disappointed in Laney for lying about the build method of this amp.

That being said I still want to buy one.

13. Nick79

Nick79 Member

Gigged mine for the first time the other night, unfortunately i didn't manage to get any video. It sounded excellent, and with the TI boost it nails early Sabbath - I had it about 7 on the gain, treble and mids at 10 and bass on 0. It's monstrously loud at that point so i attenuated it a bit, which didn't seem to affect the tone at all (For the record i was using a Jetenuator).

I've certainly got no regrets about buying this one, everytime i play it i can lose hours just trying different settings and marvelling at how good it is. i do want to experiment more with different drive pedals, so far i've used a TS9 mini (works brilliantly), Ti boost (again, excellent) and a Marshall Guvnor (works very well).

14. Ultra GP

Ultra GP Member

Just got mine. Really impressed so far.

[​IMG]

OgamiZ, Tisca and Nick79 like this.
  15. Nick79

Nick79 Member

16. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

I am digging the clips you guys have posted in this thread.
    Seems like a really cool 70's rock amp that takes pedals very well, love the retro looking design too.