New Lava Cable Soldered Ends...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eldanko, Jul 15, 2012.

1. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Don't be sorry. Most do not have trouble but it does happen and we understand it is not the easiest system out there. If you decide to ever give another one of our products a shot please let me know and I will make up for the frustration.

2. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

Me too -- I miss the size and convenience of my Lava solderless stuff but won't go unsoldered anymore so this would be great. Looking forward to more info!

3. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

I like the idea of solder less, and I like the small Lava format. I had my board done in George Ls and was finding them a bit unreliable so I re wired the whole board with Lava. I thought I was very careful, and I also consult the local retailer who gave me some tips. Even so, I'd say they are not more reliable than the GL's maybe less. I'm guessing that I'm still getting stray strands from the braid bending back and touching the centre cable, I dunno. Some times I get no sound on start up until I touch ( even very lightly) one or two cables and everything sparks to life. Or this can happen the other way round, in the middle of playing. Very frustrating so I guess I'll be changing to their or another solder system.

4. MG90

MG90 Member

I like the idea of them. They are a nice size. I just bought 50 pancake jacks from Asia for $20 shipped.

5. fossilfuel

fossilfuel dismember

I've been using three+ sets of solderless Lava cables for going on a year now.
    I've rewired my board at least once and changed pedals several times,
    never had a problem with them. A great product.

6. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

@fossilfuel, good to now. Maybe it's my technique. I might be leaving too much exposed braid folded back. Cheers

7. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

Anyone know if these are available yet?

8. Rumble

Thanks thb. I still have a few weeks to go with building my pedalboard.

9. Rumble

OK, I'm starting to sound like a kid on a roadtrip, "are we there yet?"

10. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

So... I noticed you added the Mini Ultramafic kit under the soldered kits, but what about the solder-free? I really want that new cable, but I don't like soldering.

If necessary, I could just buy the bulk cable and the plugs.

11. tibbon

tibbon Member

I am *very* interested in these. I'm using Pancakes now and not really all that happy with them when I use smaller cable (the strain relief doesn't work well then and they are still huge feeling... don't work well on pedals with close-spaced jacks).

I've got a box of 50-75 pancakes if anyone wants them...

12. turtleheadblues

Yes the Mini Ultramafic is sized for the solder free plugs< same size as the Mini ELC>

13. Rumble

Thanks, that sounds good!

14. Rumble

What will the soldering procedure be on these connectors? I assumed these would have a conventional soldering tab, but the pic looks like a little cylinder-like deal that will solder to the end of the center wire, and that cylinder will make contact with the spike inside the plug. Is that correct?

[​IMG]

15. oxtone

oxtone Member

Do you buy them already soldered, or do we have to do that?

16. Mayo5

Mayo5 Member

So turtle, If we already have the all the cable and tools from the solderless kit. We can just order the new plugs, correct?

17. turtleheadblues

You can order kits , bulk or pre made to your lengths. Some dealers will be building these to spec as well.

BTW These are now in stock to answer the few that have asked here.

Thanks.

18. EbMM

EbMM Member

This is devastating news for me, I just bought a tonne of connectors for my new board and would have loved to use lava for the compact size.

19. tibbon

tibbon Member

Strange question, but any idea if Musician's Friend is going to be carrying them ? I've got $50 to burn there and was hoping to pick up some new cables anyway..

If not, I'll just buy strings at MF and order the cables from Lava.

20. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

wait; so you solder the center conductor to a little piece that then slides into contact with the plug?

sounds like you've gained absolutely nothing over the original solderless setup!

the whole point of solder is that you don't rely on just metal-to-metal contact.

(solderless is just fine if done right! i use george L with no problems, and i'm sure the lava solderless is every bit as good; my trick is to use a drop of liquid de-oxit on the metal bits that are going to make contact, so as to prevent any connection problems down the road.)