New Lentz L90/Bkaster

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Blauserk, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

This is my second Lentz. My first one was a blonde early 1950s-style Tele-style that was so light it felt like it was made out of balsa wood. I bought it used and sold it after I determined I'd like to have one custom made to my specs. (That never happened, of course: during the interim, F****r's lawyers came a-knockin')

This one is better.

[​IMG]

I confess that I had some concerns after I ordered because for the past year or so I've been selling off my bolt-neck 25.5" guitars, including some really good ones (GVCG T-style, Grosh Retro Classic), because I've really been feeling that I'm more of a 24.75" set-neck guy. But that may have just changed. After I finally got the kids to bed, I got this out of the box and put it through its paces for nearly two hours.

To begin with, it's a thing of beauty. I confess I was among the people who really did not like the new body style when it came out. It's grown on me, and it does look better in person. It's enhanced by the tremendous quality of the finish (Scott Lentz excells at many things, but I think finish work is his forte), which is both quite thin and mirror-smooth, and the natural beauty of the wood. The craftmanship is so superb on the neck that I find myself just admiring the carve of its back. The body is so well matched that I spent the first hour and a half convinced that Scott had given me a no-cost upgrade to a one-piece body. I think I've spotted where the pieces are joined (anyone care to make any guesses based on the photo?), but even now I'm not 100% sure, because I cannot for the life of me spot any seam on the back. The photo doesn't do it justice.

Costmetics aside, the thing is tremendously versatile sonically--I played for 120 minutes getting all sorts of different sounds out of it with only minor adjustments to the guitar (I only touched the amp once, to tweak the treble when I started focussing on the neck pup). I really love the pickups. As much as I love the L90, I was so pleasantly surprised by how great the bridge pickup sounds that I couldn't leave it alone. I like the bridge pickup as much as what previously was my all-time favorite Tele bridge, a late-50s-style Hamel Tele pickup. And yes, I like them more than the set of pups that was on my first Lentz (although those had been "adusted" by prior owners in ways that I don't think maximized their potential). The body is extremely resonant and quite light.

I don't think of myself as someone who raves about every bit of gear I buy. I tend to have a pretty sober assessment. But these new Lentzes are the real deal. The whole time I was playing it, I had the giddy feeling of someone who had just bought a guitar new in about 1952 made during a week when Tadeo Gomez was really really on, like I was present at the first strum of what was going to become a vintage guitar.

I really, really need not to buy any guitars for a while to keep my wife from divorcing me. But I'm already thinking about what was my "runner up" when I decided on the color scheme for this guitar: A maple-fingerboard bound-body Lentz in Lake Placid blue with the same pickup arrangement. Somebody hide my wallet.

2. hemlock

hemlock Guest

That's gotta be a one piece body.

Same pickup combo that I'm going to be using in my Tele project. I would love to play a Lentz one of these days. They seem to have serious mojo even through teh computer monitor.

3. fyler

fyler Member

if you don't mind talking about it, what does a new lentz like that cost? it looks amazing, but i fear it's (far) out of my price range.

4. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

That is one SWEET looking guitar...Congrats!

5. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

I bet if its a 2 piece body the seam is running right down the long axis of the pickguard.

6. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

I think they're $2550 without binding (but also without a case and without shipping charges). A bound three-tone sunburst sold on this page within the past three months for $2400 or less (I think).

That's where Scott normally puts the seam, but I think in this case, it actually runs on the bass side of the body. I haven't had the pickguard off to check, but I've eyeballed the cavity side, and haven't found a seam yet.

7. michaelg

michaelg Member

sCOTT'S BRIDGE P/U'S ARE THE BOMB

8. Zane

Zane Member

Yep these are great guitars...Great Tele tones + that L-90 has such a "woody" tone...THEN all the great tones you can "dial in" with the 2 volume knobs...
    Lots of COOL stuff gonna be happening this year from Scott & the "boys"

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

10. Zane

Zane Member

lets just say you get a MASTERBUILT guitar for the price of a CS teambuilt...can't beat that!

11. e-z

e-z Member

Beautiful. Ever since I saw Studio8000's 2-tone w/ binding I've wanted one. Yours has inspired me to pull the trigger. I talked to Scott today and placed my order. The wait begins.

12. Ogre

Ogre Member

The blue one that I got to audition was as good a guitar as I have ever played. Loved the neck and the tones.

13. fatback

fatback Member

I got a chance to try one of the new Lentz guitars last week and man what a treat it was. I tried one of the new two P90 models. It felt great and sounded even better. With a little bit of gain it retained a nice airiness and clarity when caressed and could seriously bark and scream when dug into. Quite a dynamic beast. I'm now seriously gassing for a bound oil-black body with a black guard, maple neck, and 2 P90's. If only I didn't already have three guitar projects already under way. Oi!

14. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Your options are in terms of color, fret-size, Rosewood or Maple fingerboard, and pickup configuration... perhaps I'm forgetting something, if I am someone will add on to these options, I am sure

the 3 knobs are: 2 volumes (one for each pickup) and a Tone knob

I've said this before, but I'm pretty much convinced that Lentz is making the greatest bolt-on guitars of all-time. My next new guitar will be a Lentz

15. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

You'll be glad you did. It really is a fantastic bolt-on.

16. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

I placed my order about a month ago :BEER
    I am loving the feeling I get when others post their pics of Scott's latest creations :p
    I'm sure Scott or Ian will post a pic when it's finished...
    This could be the beginning of something special:rolleyes:

17. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I also noticed the body looks like a slab but pics can be deceiving. Are there any comfort contours? For the forearm?

18. randy morser

randy morser Member

just to clarify, you mean the company called Fe****.

19. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I'm sorry. If the question was for me, I don't know what you're talking about.

20. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

Some new photos of my baby. Pity I can't host photos bigger than 512 KB on photobucket!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]