New Lentzes: P90 vs. T (help me spend my money)

Blauserk

Gold Supporting Member
I'm thinking about getting one of the new Lentzes but can't make up my mind between the T/P90 version (with a Tele-type bridge and P90 in the neck) or the one with a more traditional Tele-type layout.

I am one of the few people who enjoys Tele-type neck pickups, and if I get one, it would probably be the only guitar I had with one (I'd probably sell my Tele in favor of the Lentz). On the other hand, I know from experience how good a P90 in the neck sounds.

Whaddaya think? And no, "buy one of each" isn't a realistic alternative.:D

studio8000

lentz's new p90 has to be heard/played to believe. it's an amazing sounding pickup esp in the neck position. i have one of his T style guitars and of course those pickups (in his guitar) sound amazing as well. but i think this new p90 is something realy special. cant go wrong either way, but if it's gonna be the "one" guitar you have, i would recommend the p90/T... but thats just my opinion.

KLB

Whichever way you go, the switching system with the Gibby 3-way switch and a separate volume for each pickup would be more versatile.

Zane

I have to say Scott does a great "T" style bridge pup. I'd love to hear what the "T" /P-90 combination sounds like. That said I have one eack "T" ,& "S"... so I put my deposit on the 2 p-90 version.

posted by KLB
Whichever way you go, the switching system with the Gibby 3-way switch and a separate volume for each pickup would be more versatile
I hadn't thought about that hardware on the double P-90...might be cool!

studio8000

Originally posted by michaelg
what kind of options are available? p/u? body woods? neckwoods? colors? binding?
he's doing either dual p90, p90 neck/tele bridge, or traditional T pickup configurations.
body is either super light resonant ash, or alder (if he can find some good alder, otherwise he wont make it)
neck wood is maple with maple board or rosewood board. every now and then he comes across awesome brazilian rosewood, but none right now.
most the traditional colors
and they're doing binding too which looks killer on bursts.

the 3 knob (vol, vol, tone) configuration will be killer for versatility. the tradition 3way with vol/tone good for guys that set it and forget it.

i played the guitar loud and hard all afternoon, just lost track of time. truly in a class of it's own. no p90 guitar i've ever played sounds like this!

Ian Anderson

I just posted some pictures on the Lentz forum of the latest. It's actually one of the prototypes of the 2 p-90 guitar with the T style layout.

studio8000

Originally posted by Ian Anderson
I just posted some pictures on the Lentz forum of the latest. It's actually one of the prototypes of the 2 p-90 guitar with the T style layout.
that is gorgeous!!

mountain blues

Gold Supporting Member
Sacre Merde... I am in love.

Zane

Artandink is a lucky man that is beautiful! I think I might have to call Scott ,& change the specs on the one I ordered.

artandink

It's going to be a long wait until next Thursday.

I heard Buddy Whittington put this puppy through its paces a few days ago, and he approved. :dude

Here's another shot from the Lentz shop:

I'll do a report a week from this Saturday.

Art

OWENMUSTANG

the twin P90's should just be killer!
as soon as i can revive my money tree, the one above is at the
top of my list!!!!

Zane

Man if ya'll haven't see it yet they have some sound clips posted on the Lentz site of the "Blue" one. Sounds real good ! Can't wait to hear some clips of the one with the P-90 in the bridge!!

gregc

Silver Supporting Member
I keep trying to like that body shape......
but it's not EZ.

gregc

Dave Orban

Platinum Supporting Member
Originally posted by gregc
I keep trying to like that body shape......
but it's not EZ.

gregc
I think the body shape is fine, but I have to say that I've not been thrilled with any of the pickguards, with the exception of the one on Buddy's red Lentz...

Gazza

When I order mine I'll be going with P-90's and that's only because I already have Lentz guitars with B-kaster style p'ups. If you don't have a Lentz I say go for the B-kaster in the bridge and P-90 in the neck. Either way you'll thank yourself and Lentz for years to come.

Ian Anderson

I was quite taken by the blue one with the T in the back and P-90 in the neck. The in between tone is phenominal, and the B-kaster pickup in the rear is stellar as always. I keep trying to convince myself it overlaps with my T style, but the in between and P-90 in the neck tones make it a completely different guitar.

Then again the P-90 in the bridge is pretty happening. :dude

studio8000

I was quite taken by the blue one with the T in the back and P-90 in the neck. The in between tone is phenominal, and the B-kaster pickup in the rear is stellar as always. I keep trying to convince myself it overlaps with my T style, but the in between and P-90 in the neck tones make it a completely different guitar.

Then again the P-90 in the bridge is pretty happening. :dude
simple solution.... everyone should get one of each!!

Trending Topics