New Les Paul R8 - a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by iMatt, Aug 20, 2008.

1. iMatt

iMatt Member

I have just aquired an R8 which I am very happy with, but have a couple of questions:

1 Mine appears to have a one piece top (washed cherry) - is that common? Others I have seen seem to have two piece tops.

2 The volume pots are not very responsive. On my 02 Standard I tend to set the amp so that I get the tone I want out of the neck pickup and then wind the tone on the bridge pickup down to around 4 to take the edge off it. With the R8 the tone pot is a bit on/off - I have to take it right down to 2 before I get any noticeable drop off in high end and then it very quickly takes all the high end off. I this normal?

3. Mine, athough new, has a slight ding in the front edge of the headstock next to the D sring tuner. Really bugged me at first but I like the feel and sound of the thing so I have kept it ( and the shop would happily have taken it back. However the dealer did suggest that it is possible the ding was there deliberately as part of the VOS treatment. If it is then it is the only mark on the guitar so I kind of doubt that can be the case - looks more like it may have taken a knock when put back on a rack. Did anybody else get a new R8 VOS with a ding or two in it as part of the VOS treatment?

2. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

What year is your R8? I have a 2005 washed cherry, before they did the VOS thing. I understood that you could still get washed cherry, but it was not VOS.

My experience is that the finish dings really easily. I typically post questions on the My Les Paul page. They are very friendly and patient in explaining things. I believe all the information that you seek is already there.

3. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

1 - One piece is uncommon, but I recently read on Gibsons forum that they do exist, A dealer just had one up for sale, and it was clearly a one piece

2 - that is a known thing with the pots, they seem to do nothing for a large chunk of the turn, then a large drop off. Aftermarket "upgrade" kits are available if you don't like it, but that type of pot is supposed to be vintage correct

3 - VOS treatment does not include dings, it is not like Fenders Relic job. VOS relating to finish is more or less unbuffed. If you want to make your VOS into gloss, a little polish and elbow grease will do the trick. VOS is now cheaper, cuz the labor savings of no buff

just prior to VOS was CA ( Custom Authentic) and that was overbuffed, then it was more labor
    and more money. But times have changed

Gibson does do aging/relicing, mostly referred to as Murphy aged, but that is not
    a ding, it's a whole lot of finish cracking and stuff like that. looks totally beat up

cheers

4. iMatt

iMatt Member

I will try the LP forum as you suggest.

Its on 08 -brand new. The paperwork that comes with it describes it as VOS, but really that seems to come down to little more than slightly dulled finish on the body and aged pick-up covers (with a little corrosion on one or two pole screws). Otherwise there is no obvious ageing.

Great guitar.

5. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

how thick in the neck on the r8?

6. XKnight

XKnight Member

Congrats on the guitar. Post a pic of the one piece top so we can drool over it.:banana

7. iMatt

iMatt Member

Thanks Rick - didn't see your post before checking out the LP forum as per Rotten's suggestiong. How found the stuff about the "RS" kit and will look into that.

Some pics below - got a little glare towards the bottom left but don't think that obsures it too much (top may be a little plain for some). The bottom pics are intended to show the ding - hard to make out on first pic(which is of course a good thing):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Maybe it's a glare or my eyes playing tricks on me, but I think I see a line from the center of the tailpiece to the strap button that is where the two maple pieces join.

9. J.T.

J.T. Supporting Member

Yep definitely a 2 Piece

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Two piece. Real purty. I like plain janes best.

11. iMatt

iMatt Member

Now then, when I first saw it I thouht "two piece" - I was sure I could see a faint line from bridge to back of guitar where the pieces meet. But then when i looked closer the line just wasn't there. On these photos there does appear to be a line again. But if you look close enough the curved lines of the grain cross where I though the faint line ones. I will see if I can post a better picture of this area of the top when I get home.

12. justonwo

justonwo Member

The dent you're talking about . . . I think I have them on all my Les Paul headstocks. Pretty common. I wouldn't worry about it.

13. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Wonderful looking guitar! The VOS finish looks great.

14. iMatt

iMatt Member

Well there is no need for me to post another picture, you guys are absolutely right and it is definatelhy two piece.

In my defence the faint line you can all see isn't anything like as clear as that in the flesh. When I took it out of the case the very first time I saw it, but then when I tried to point it out to several people they just couldn't see and then neither could I. But I have just had it out in the garden, and holding just so and tilting in back and forth there is clearly a very slight channel between the two pieces and the light runs along it as you tilt the body. My wife took some convincing (knows nothing about gutars but has better eyes than mine).

So, sorry to dissapoint anyone hoping to see a nice one piece.

Thanks also for the reasuring comments about the ding. Had somthing of a sleepless night wondering whether to keep it or send it back. No regrets I'm happy to say.

15. XKnight

XKnight Member

Nice looking guitar regardless of how many pieces the top is. I bet it plays great too. Enjoy!

16. iMatt

iMatt Member

I don't have calipers or the like to measure it properly. To me it feels a little (and only a little) slimmer than the 50's neck on my 339 and about the same as my LP studio around the 12th fret and possible a little fatter towards the headstock. I'm not sure that tells you anything that useful but its probably the best I can do.

For me personally the neck is exactly what i was hoping it would be. There is somthing of a shortage of these guitars around UK shops right now, and non close enough for me to get to conveniently, so I took a bit of a punt ordering over the phone. I had read posts about how thick the R8 necks are and for that reason had been considering shelling out for an R9 instead. But perusaded by members here thought I would give an R8 a shot and am absolutely delighted with it. It was because the guitar seemed so perfect for me that I was so disapointed to find the ding in the headstock but I'm over that now. Time will come when I give it another ding no doubt.

17. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Thanks. that's very helpfull