New Les Paul Traditional or Used Historic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sonic Reducer, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

In the market for a new Les Paul. First off, the new LP's are a little confusing. You have the standard, the standard traditional, the standard traditional plus, the standard traditional pro, traditional pro with a 50's neck.

I think I have it narrowed down between a used R7, used R8 or a new Standard Traditional Plus. Looks like the price for the traditional is $2300. Used R7's vary, but usually around $2500.

What's the better option? Pay a little more for the historic or go for the traditional?

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

try 'em then buy 'em. but some folks don't like the weight relieving holes in the body of the Traditional. it's just a thang.

3. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I'd rather buy a new R8 for $2800 than a used R8 for $2500. Just sayin.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I love Traditionals. I had an R7 and like the Traditionals better. That would be my choice. In fact it was my choice. You don't have to spend anywhere near $2300 to get one though.

5. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

So where can I get a new R8 for $2500 and a new Traditional Plus for less than $2300

6. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Historic, no doubt. You have an idea of what these guitars actually sell for...or can actually sell for because not every place sells them for this low (GC). Head to your local shop, find one you like and make an offer. If that's not an option, try calling a few Gibson dealers. As for used, the lowest I've heard of an R8 selling for was $1,700. That's cheap!

7. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

You cant get a new R8 for $2500. New, more like $3300. Used you can get it for $2200-2400 in a plaintop

But you can get Traditionals all day long for under 2K. Here is one brand new for 1899, and thats before any coupons or haggling or whatever
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...rd-Traditional-Pro-Electric-Guitar?sku=581715

here is plus, with a flame top, under $2300 at MF. And you can most always do better than their pricing.
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...ditional-Plus-Electric-Guitar?sku=519321#used

8. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

If you're buying for resale go Historic. If you're buying to play then play a bunch of each if possible...might still be Historic but could even be a Studio that grabs you. I personally LOVE my Traditional.

9. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

I went the used historic route '06 R4 and am very happy. That said, I hear great things about the traditional models. I just have never owned one. I paid just under $2K.

10. MT Buckaroo

MT Buckaroo Silver Supporting Member

My local music store quoted me $2k out the door on a brand new Traditional Plus that retails at MF at a stated $2300. Used you can find them around $1600 if you are patient and find one for sale by a private individual (non-dealer). The non-burst Traditionals (goldtop and black) are a bit less.

I'm doing the same analysis: buy a brand new Traditional Plus burst for $2k at the local Mom and Pop that you can at least hold in your lap and plug in before buying to see if it's a good one, or roll the dice on a used R7 purchased on-line (eBay or TGP Emporium) in the $2300-$2500 range? Jury is out.

The problem where I live is the scarce selection available locally at retail. Even when the Mom and Pop has one in stock, it's not like you can compare it against a half dozen other ones hanging on the wall to cherry pick. Only marginally better than buying on-line.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  12. Scott L

Scott L Silver Supporting Member

A Traditional at 2300 is with no discount, any Soccer Mom can get 10 off at GC. Get a hold of one Troy at WWW.Wildwoodgutiars.com and he will hook you up a lot better than that. Don't go by the site price call.

They have 11 Traditionals in stock, you see the actual guitar your ordering.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibson/traditional/

Yes you can - give a call to Matt at Alto Music in Airmont NY. Great shop.

329 New York 59
    Airmont, NY 10952-3739
    (845) 352-6717

13. b2sc

b2sc Member

Historic. Once you go Historic, you don't go back to the production models....

14. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Most people here will tell you the Historics are better guitars. In general that might be true, but every guitar is an individual. My Traditional is a helluva guitar, but it needed some work: new bone nut, better caps, pickup change is way more subjective, but anyways, there are some GREAT Traditionals out there

15. Aran

Aran Member

Try a few but on average I'd say used Historic.

16. DavidMgT

DavidMgT Member

Used Historic - no contest. Although as AJ pointed out, you may find a Traditional (or Standard) that speaks to you. I, for instance, love my R8, but really like the sound of the chambered standards - it is as if they have just a touch of 335 in them.

17. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I did.

18. El84man

El84man Member

I got my first Gibson in 2009 which is a Traditional. Then a few weeks back I bought an R7 and the Traditional isn't too far off it. The R7 does feel a bit better than the Traditional, like a little more care went into some of the finer details.
    Then I tried a honey burst Traditional the other day and it just blew me away completely. Unplugged it was so bright and and the resonance through the neck was incredible. I plugged it in and it was the most alive sounding Les Paul I've ever played, even with the stock 300k pots... So now I'm broke :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

My point is pick the guitar that sounds the best to you. There will be great ones and lemons no matter which model you look at.
    Don't just buy a guitar because it's a deal.

19. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

Both are great Les Pauls.

I have a 2009 Traditional and R8. The one thing that the R8 has over the Traditional is a certain vibe that I can't describe.

20. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I'd go Historic.

You're looking in the wrong places if that is the price range you're finding on a used R7.
    Can be had for substantially less.