New Leslie Rotating Speaker

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by daddyo, Sep 28, 2008.

1. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Leslie (now owner by Hammond Suzuki) has a real rotating Leslie speaker out. Has anyone tried one? I know they cost the same as a good amp.

2. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

I emailed them to get the demo DVD, got it a week later. Looks like a nice piece of equipment.

3. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I saw some pictures of recently somewhere. It looks like it's fairly well made from what I could see.

4. KCblues

KCblues Member

I've repaired several of these, and so got to play through them for a bit.

They are pretty complicated beasts inside. There is a line level input you can use to feed from your guitar preamp. The rotor speed is contunously adjustable from almost stopped up to a high rate, unlike older Leslie's which only had 2 speeds.

Two repairs were simple, one not so simple... A broken rotor horn on one (rough handing by user), belt replacement on the another, and had to rebuild the rotary switch on the third. They have a Lot of electronics inside with multiple circuit boards. When I worked on these ~2 years ago Hammond did not have spare electronics parts in stock, components or boards. I wanted to buy a replacement rotary switch and wound up rebuliding the existing one. They were still pretty new back then so maybe they're stocking spare parts in the US now. The cabinets are particle board so care should be used in moving and shipping them.

All that said, they sounded awesome! A Strat on the in-between PU settings, a nice clean Deluxe Reverb attenuated to line level and input to the Leslie, and I was simply mesmorized for a couple hours!

5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Those must have been older models, there are new models made for guitar, one to use with your own amp and one that has a built-in amp.

Al

6. KCblues

KCblues Member

Thanks for the correction, Al.

I need one of those !!!

7. reverendfrankie

reverendfrankie Supporting Member

Bump for an update if anyone has tried one.