New Lesson Alert - Getting Outside the Chords of the Blues - taking it out

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by kirk95, May 29, 2015.

1. kirk95

kirk95 Jazz Lines You Can Use in the Blues Silver Supporting Member

FYI, these lessons are not free. Sorry, I know the expectation today is everything music is free. These are not. I have enormous amounts of free content online - please check the links in my sig.

I have 5 free Jazz Lines You Can Use in the Blues here: https://gumroad.com/davidhenderson please download away....

Just finished up a new lesson last week. Been moving this week so haven't had time to post until now.

My lessons are for the guys that want to blend Jazz harmony in with their blues playing like Robben, Sco, Oz, Scott H, Mike Stern, etc....

After Berklee '79-'82 and playing, gigging, recording and practicing for over 30 years after Berklee, I discovered a simple way to get "inside" and "outside" the chords of the blues using one simple structure. It was like I had just discovered the rosetta stone and everything just started to work for me.

I spent years studying all the chords scales key-of-the-moment stuff (The Berklee Way) and it always sounded like I was playing scales - especially on the Altered and Lydian b7 harmony. In this lesson I take you through the complicated (melodic minor) theory (the hard way), then show you (the easy way) to make it all work (resolve) in the context of a simple I, IV, V Blues.

This is 2nd of 2 lessons using this concept.
    The 1st one was: Getting Inside the Chords of the Blues - so we can go outside later
    The new one is: Getting Outside the Chords of the Blues - taking it out

Getting Outside the Chords of the Blues - taking it out - Video 1

If you are into this kind of playing, these lessons will save you all kinds of time and effort and get you playing in this style AFAP. Hope you like...

FYI, here's some recent feedback.

"Your lessons are really helping me cut through the clutter of other information out there, all of it helps, but you help make it easy to apply musically right from the start."

"This is really, really, really good. Lesson #4 is “the secret.” It is exactly what I have been trying to figure out these past five years of self-study, and the scales or “play melodic minor up a half step” never worked for me.
    "

"Just want to thank you for the lessons. I really love your style of playing and I'm getting a lot out of the lessons."

"
    I self-studied and understand music theory but never learned jazz bebop lines etc. in my guitar youth….and also always wanted to play like Larry Carlton and Robben Ford.

You are teaching precisely in my sweetspot for the things I need to be learning next!
    Keep them coming! Already digging the minor Bb pentatonic over Dm7 Brecker thang!"

2. kirk95

kirk95 Jazz Lines You Can Use in the Blues Silver Supporting Member

Look Clifford-D, just trying to help people with some good lessons. Google search kirk95, there is endless discussion about all this stuff all over the web dating back to 2002. I'm a pretty easy guy to have a discussion with - www.online-discussion.com. LOL

But these particular lessons, are not free. It's all the best stuff I've learned over the years organized into concise lessons that teach the academic way 1st and then the much easier player way. Put a lot of time and effort making these as good as I can. Not for everyone.... but will save you all kinds time if you like the style I play. If you don't want to pay for that... then don't. Not a big deal....

All I know is the people who have tried them really like them a lot and want more?

Going out is super easy.... but sometimes the landing is not. LOL

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  3. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Good stuff! There are plenty of people on this site that could benefit from these videos, including myself...also a Berklee Grad and have been playing seriously for over 30 years. TGP police like to patrol this forum from time to time but the are plenty of people that promote their websites, DVD's etc. I've come across some really great stuff in this section so it's all good with me.

4. hacker

hacker Member

I don't have any problem with someone who actually has something to offer to solicit business on this or any other site. Clifford-D, if you think you are already familiar with the material, then there is no need to comment on this thread.

A Berklee education isn't cheap, and judging from the OPs video, he has the expertise and ability to charge whatever he likes for lessons.

With that said, there are plenty of guys on the internet who have no business charging a penny for their lessons. I see some of their "teasers" on YouTube and I cringe.

5. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Good luck with your project Kirk