New Life For OCD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 20forSeven, Nov 16, 2005.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Is anyone using an OCD as a boost pedal? I plan on trying it as a low gain and boost pedal when I get my Eternity. It seems like a good fit since the pedal has plenty of treble and adds great harmonics. Also the OCD has always sounded better at lower gain to me, I believe this is the way the pedal was designed to be run by turning up the volume and keeping the gain around noon. I'll be sure to let everyone know how this combo works for me.

2. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

any updates? I have an eternity and am thinking of picking up an OCD to compliment it.

3. Wooley

Wooley Member

I use it as a low gain boost. I NEVER turn it past about 9 o'clock and I think it is FANTASTIC that way. I run it like that to do like the intro to Hey Joe and stuff like that, and just get this bright clean boosted sound, with just a tiny dash of grit. Then I run that into my other ODs (works especially well with Analog Mike's tubescreamers) when I want a lead tone or a heavier version of my other ODs.

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I agree about the OCD sounding best with low gain. I rarely go above 9 o'clock myself and usually leave it at minimum, where it still adds some nice overdrive to the sound. At high gain, it sounds pretty much like any other pedal IMHO.

5. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

My harder OD sound comes from the OCD. With humbuckers it is really quite driven already at 9 o'clock. I don't really go past that either. Gives a nice rhythm sound right about there! In your face, clear and powerful!

I'm getting a second one too for playing lead with. It's actually really good for leads, I don't know what people have been moaning about! I might set it to goose my rhythm OCD with just abput the same amount of gain and a nudge more volume. Should be in AC/DC and Zep world then, not to forget the lead sounds from the first Boston album! Let's see!

6. morgan

morgan Guest

I used it for awhile to boost the honey bee, sounded great...

7. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I recently noodled around with mine to try and use it as a boost instead of an OD. I basically rolled the gain completely off and jacked up the volume, leaving the tone a little past 12:00. To my suprise, I was able to get this almost compressor-like tone with a great overall boosted sound that responded really well to my picking. It was just barely dirty, and i mean just a tiny bit of grit. But playing harder really opened up an aggressive break-up sound.

I just got a Timmy a few days ago so I will be messing around with these two to see how well I can stack them for lead/rhythm OD tones.

8. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Teleking, I had the same revelation running my Tele through the OCD with the same settings. Digging in with my attack especially on the D and G strings really brought out some nice natural amp tones. Great stuff.

9. asdf

asdf Member

I'm really curious to see how you think the OCD and Timmy do together. I have a Timmy, and am thinking bout picking up a Barber LTD or BJF Honeybee, but an OCD is an option too.

10. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Me too, I have a Timmy on the way. Or should have anyway! I hope the two we ordered are not lost or forgotten!!