New limited Toneczar Echoczar Quad !

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jove, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Jove

Jove Member

Haven't seen this mentioned:

[​IMG]

Wowza...so, whose gonna jump on this? (More importantly, who did on the Ebay auctions and didn't share...)

J

2. brettmoor

brettmoor Supporting Member

3. MG90

MG90 Member

Anyone ever try an echoczar? Is it that much better than the Timeline?

4. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I mentioned it once before. These are no wait list, but rather being auctioned. The fist one I followed sold for almost 3,000 dollars, so good luck unless your last name is Gates.

5. gpro34

gpro34 Member

The Echoczar is a completely different animal. I love mine, it's not going anywhere.

6. magnus02

magnus02 Member

What chips are in the original? Is that the only difference? Minus the wait of course

7. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

Actually, this has been mentioned before. Already at the end of 2010 when it was announced :)

8. Jove

Jove Member

Sorry if it's old news. I just clicked on his recently updated (January 2012) "What's new gallery" and saw this so assumed it was something recent.

J

9. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

"Limited"... as opposed to the usual Echoczar that's on sale everywhere next to Boss? :rotflmao

"Matched BBDs"... I don't know about you but that's the first time I see anyone claiming there's extra mojo in matching BBDs. Matching germanium transistors? Maybe. But BBDs? :confused: And what would be the particular benefit of this? Based on what properties exactly?

As for the price of this or even the normal one... hats off to anyone who can sell a brand new guitar pedal for that kind of money.

10. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

"Limited" all right. It wouldn't be so limited if their prices were a little less "limited".

11. blood5150

blood5150 Member

This guy has one for sale...

[​IMG]

12. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I've got both, the Echoczar is the highest quality version of true analog delay, whereas the Timeline is the best in today's digital technology.

13. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

1875 DOLLARS? Whaaaaaaa-

14. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

That's stupid, (2) DM2s might run 400 bucks (2) AD-80s might run 450 bucks, that is you would ever need to sound just as great as this very pretty well engineered idiot trap.

15. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Those are 300ms delays with no modulation. The echoczar has over a second of delay time and is dramatically more complex and full featured.

16. angrytroll

angrytroll Member

bargain. those mn3005 are usually like $40k.

17. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I can tell you the difference because I asked Ed (the builder) the same question. The 3005 is more percussive in the attack. It is probably better for rhythm (generally speaking) and the original Echoczar chip is a little smoother sounding and sounds better with leads (according to Ed). Either one is fantastic, but I already own several delays with the 3005 chip (Diamond, Memory Man) so I'm fine with the original version. Anything Ed builds is top notch. Ed is quite the perfectionist and would not release anything that wasn't stellar and/or meet his very picky expectations, so I'm sure it's bad ass. If I purchased a 2k delay though (and my wife found out) It would be WW3 at my house, lol.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  18. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Well when it hits a second plus, analog is at a distinct disadvantage, so they are way way way overpriced. Nice pretty toys that are entirely unecessary, though wonderful to own i am sure. Some deserving gear hog will absorb this immediately.

19. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Generally speaking I would agree. I have owned many, many, many, delays, and most analogues get too dark after 800ms, like the Moog SD104 for example. Some guys dig that tone though. Anyway, I don't know how Ed does it, but the Echoczar remains musical and defined throughout its entire range. Honestly, few pedals live up to the hype, but the Echoczar really is in a different league. Until you've play one, you'll never get it. It just hypnotizes you. The repeats are different sounding than any other delay I've owned or played, and I'm quite the delay fanatic.

20. u2streets

u2streets Member

After 5 years on the wait-list, I received my Echoczar+Angelbaby on Jan 5th. I also was an early adopter of the Timeline, and snagged one on the first batch. I currently have the Timeline and Echoczar on my board and have been gigging and recording with this setup for the last few weeks.

To respond to your question: "Is the Echoczar is better than the Timeline?"

My simple answer: They are both incredible delay units that excel at different things.

My detailed response:

The Echoczar is warm, lush, and vibey. Every time I step on it, I feel a sense of satisfaction in my tone that I've never experienced in a delay/echo unit. It sounds open, rich, and full, but also clean and quiet. It has lots of headroom, is harmonically rich, intuitive and musical. By this, I mean it requires little to no tweaking to get a great sound. Just dial your time, feedback, and mix to taste and let the tone gods sing! The repeats melt nicely over time and the attack/knock in "echo" mode is unlike anything I've heard in any other delay pedal. (I've owned a lot of delay units... tape/analog/digital.) For soft, subtle thickening, slap-back, and all the way to ambient shoegaze, the Echoczar is awe-inspiring.

I for 75% percent of my delay needs, the Echoczar gets the call over the Timeline. Subjectively, I do find it to be sonically superior, by a noticable margin.

On the other side of the coin, I find the Timeline to be the best digital/modeling delay I've ever played. It's has a ton of usable sounds and is capable of many non-traditional, creative tones. Though it's tape and bucket modes can't replace the real thing, they are well executed emulations. This is a sonically premium, versatile pedal that can get you through just about any gig or recording situation.

In my current set-up, here are the areas that the Timeline beats the Echoczar.

1) Tap Tempo: Though I only need this feature about 10% of the time, it's essential to have a great sounding delay with tap tempo.

2) Digital Clarity: for certain duties, analog delay just doesn't cut it. Sometimes you just need a crystal clear delay that remains pristine all the way through the repeats. For this, the Timeline shines.

3) MIDI/Presets: Instant recall of settings can easily be taken for granted in the digital era. Switching from a tape slap to a stereo delay with one stomp is really convenient. Though I haven't taken this step yet, I like the idea that I can connect a midi controller for easy access to a lot of presets.

4) Non-traditional Sounds: The Timeline provides a palette for creativity that you won't find in more conventional pedal. And while I must admit that the Timeline's "Lo-Fi" and "Ice" modes weren't selling points for me, they are nice bundled extras that get used when stock sounds just won't do the trick.