New limited Toneczar Echoczar Quad !

cajone5

Some guy
Gold Supporting Member
It's no accident that people who run this unit down tend not to own one, whilst those who own one tend to praise it.

Just like a Klon.

Or a baby.
Why would you own something you don't like? I owned one in the past and gave a somewhat critical review... because I tried it and didn't like it... So I sold it.

Just because you're critical of something doesn't mean you never tried it. :huh

I would say the people critical of price only are generally the ones who haven't tried it but I think it's fair to be critical on that matter without owning or even trying one. If you say it sounds like dump-sauce and you never heard it that's another story but I think the negative reviewers in this thread are generally (with one or two exceptions) sticking to criticizing it on grounds that they can ably do so.

Last edited:

pacomc79

I wonder if there would be a market for a rehouse putting both a Klon Centaur and an Echoczar into the same pedal?

dr.morton

People who want their boutique pedals cheap should send their money to Farndork or Faustine to see what happens when your business model sucks.

I've got no trouble with builders who try to be innovative, build stuff that even keeps its retail value and ask for a price that makesa all their trouble worthwhile.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
People who want their boutique pedals cheap should send their money to Farndork or Faustine to see what happens when your business model sucks.

I've got no trouble with builders who try to be innovative, build stuff that even keeps its retail value and ask for a price that makesa all their trouble worthwhile.
does not compute. neither farndork nor foostine were 'cheap'. in fact, the faustine was darn expensive. logic fail here. .. . .

8strings0hair

and hope I can afford one when it comes up but I can't decide if I really want it...
I'm right there with you.

Which ties into all the people always commenting on the price vs. sound.
The main thing that makes this issue frustrating is that none of us can go to a music store and try it out. I know it's the snake that bites its own tail (it's rare, which makes it pricey, which makes it rare, etc...), but it's akin to buying something blind. Always tricky...

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
All I know is I've owned a bunch of delays. All but one were in multi-effects boxes, some cheap, some high quality and price. I think I had a Boss delay pedal at one time. They all were ok but something was missing and most had a metallic quality to the sound - except for the Lexicon PCM 70. The Echoczar has the sound I've been looking for. If you think the price is too high and you don't want to pay it, great, be happy.

Mojoman

Silver Supporting Member
Just wanted to stop in to this thread with a little insight. I have recently received my Echoczar and after owning many delays (and all the 'hot' tgp ones) I can say that this is a very special pedal. It provides me with something that i find most important - inspiration. It truly is one of the first pedals that has inspired me to find new sounds and play in new ways to this level. It is truly an amazing, amazing thing.
Don't want to derail, but wanted to give my input based on some of the comments in this thread. It is not always easy to buy something you cannot play, but my two top guitars (Thorn Artisan and Artinger), my favorite pedal (Echoczar), and my top amp (Magic Amp Brit) are all things I did not hear or play first. Sometimes it is worth the leap of faith.

66Park

Just wanted to stop in to this thread with a little insight. I have recently received my Echoczar and after owning many delays (and all the 'hot' tgp ones) I can say that this is a very special pedal. It provides me with something that i find most important - inspiration. It truly is one of the first pedals that has inspired me to find new sounds and play in new ways to this level. It is truly an amazing, amazing thing.
Don't want to derail, but wanted to give my input based on some of the comments in this thread. It is not always easy to buy something you cannot play, but my two top guitars (Thorn Artisan and Artinger), my favorite pedal (Echoczar), and my top amp (Magic Amp Brit) are all things I did not hear or play first. Sometimes it is worth the leap of faith.
It's great to hear you've found something that so inspires you. Sometimes you do have to take a leap of faith, and it can be an amazing experience when it works out so well.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I was wrong, the last ordered polished Echoczar took 4 years.

I've been emailing with Ed a bit about the sound of the 3005 version and I also looked up the actual data sheets on the chips. The 3005 does have a lower s/n ratio than other, similar chips by about 6 dB. He also states that the frequency response of the 3005 is better! Everything you love about analog delay in the most complex all-analog delay ever built (not counting the digitally controlled analog delays)!

dr.morton

does not compute. neither farndork nor foostine were 'cheap'. in fact, the faustine was darn expensive. logic fail here. .. . .

No logic fail here, but maybe I should have been a bit more precise:

Neither Foostine nor Farndork were cheap when compared to companies like Danelectro...but they were too cheap to get their own boat afloat.

Farndork: Way too many pedals (+ custom builds!) for a one/two person enterprise. Other small time builders only offer a handful of items. If a new item is offered usually an older one gets retired. This way you'll be able to build batches, reduce build time, buy more components at lower rates etc.
The way Farndork worked his pedals should have been priced like one-offs...

Foostine: I remember a thread were people discussed the individual attenuators complete with gut shots. The Foostine Phantom was far the most complex, best build, having the most components, bla, bla, bla.
It looked far more complex and cost intensive then some of the handwired tube amps made in the US.
The way they were build they should have been $1500 or even more to make it work. But of course only a very few people would have paid that much.

So basically to start as a small time builder it is not enough just too have a good product. You also need to make your homework as a business man. Even if it means that your dream from being your own boss won't work.

So again, if got no trouble with builders who demad a price that makes their efforts worthwhile, guys like Toneczar or Spaceman. Nobody is forced to buy their products or needs them for being a great musician. But the whole "I'm so much smarter because I use the cheaper brand xyz" is tiresome.

lux_interior

The 3005s are not alien artifacts... they have been used quite a lot (the Dlx. Mem. Man is the usual example). And they indeed can give quieter results, as demonstrated in the Dlx. Mem. Man with tap tempo, but in my experience not in a dramatic fashion as implied.

Devin

Low Voltage
I would complain about how expensive this is... but when something is this expensive its pretty much futile. Just asking to get flamed.

I like how big the knobs are and how shiny it is!

sub rosa

I always assumed the regular pedal used the MN3005 chips anyway. If that's not the case then what chips does it use?

doom

I'm still flipping between interested and not. I'll likely buy it when I'm called, it's not like I'll lose money on it.

But trying it will be important I think, very. Impossible to decide based upon equipment, fingers and tastes that aren't mine through a medium as vague as the Internet.

They do look beautifully, beautifully built. Are they gooped? It wouldn't bother me, I never open up my pedals anyway, but curiosity leads to the question.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
:rotflmao

the fastest car ever made, if you discount all the faster ones!

:sarcasm
Name an analog delay with more features than the Echoczar/Angelbaby that doesn't use digital controls?

To use the car analogy isn't a bad idea, the fastest cars that didn't use computerized engine controllers were no slouches: NASCAR from a few years back, faster around an oval than the Porsche GTP cars of their era (240 mph IIRC, prepped for top speed work).

Squigglefunk

Name an analog delay with more features than the Echoczar/Angelbaby that doesn't use digital controls?
ah you make a good point, the echoczar needs a whole additional pedal (angelbaby) just to have a lot of its incredible features so I don't really see how its fair to compare it to any other single pedal :bonk