New Lincoln Brewster album...holy smokes!!!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pat Healy, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I'm listening to Today Is The Day and, IMHO, it's Lincoln's best work to date. For those of you who are not familiar with Lincoln Brewster, he was a child prodigy who was fronting bar bands by age 13 and grew up to become Steve Perry's guitar player after Perry left Journey. He got into P&W music a number of years ago and is pretty much hailed as the best guitar player in P&W music at the moment. Stylistically you can hear influences of SRV, Clapton, The Edge, and occasionally he indulges a bit of Neil Schon/Satriani-esque shreddage. He has CRAZY chops and fantastic tone.

At any rate, this new album is fantastic...I believe it's his best songwriting, singing, and playing so far. Even if you don't dig the P&W thing, any guitar player should be able to appreciate this from a strictly musical standpoint. And you Lincoln devotees should be thrilled. HIGHLY recommended.

2. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Thanks for the heads up! Checkin it out on itunes!!! Totally forgot about it.

3. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

I preordered his album and instructional video from the web store and haven't received it yet....

4. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

I just ordered my video too - but the release date was late last week. I'm sure they'll ship soon.

Lincoln is an incredible player. We do a lot of his songs and swiping his licks and solos has proven to be great fun and a bit challenging even for this old cat! A friend saw him live - still hasn't recovered. If he gets anywhere near Michigan again I plan to get there.

5. PianoMan

PianoMan Supporting Member

I'm really enjoying it as well! Easily his best studio album, and on par with his Live CD. My only solid complaint is that the CD is only 10 songs.

The instructional DVD he just released is good too, though it is more geared to the beginner/intermediate players (with the exception of his walk through 4 of his songs). The next one will get into the more interesting stuff though according to him.

And speaking of seeing him live, I'll be seeing him for the 4th time on Saturday. Can't wait to see him play some of the new stuff!

6. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

He is undoubtedly good. I heard something from him the other day that sounded like modern-era Jeff Beck. Cool!

7. Steve Lowe

Steve Lowe Member

I was just listening to this last night. We've been doing 'Today is the Day' for about a month now. and I'm looking forward to trying a couple of the other tunes as well. He's a great guy, too - got to meet him after a concert at a local church a few months ago.

8. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I love the guitar playing but I think a lot of the songs are really cheesy for P&W.

9. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I agree, but a lot of P&W is cheesy.

10. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I LOVE everything I've heard from this so far! Lincoln ROCKS!

11. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Lots of Eric Johnson in his playing too.

12. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I don't hear as much EJ in this album as in his previous releases. Hints of it are still there, but this one seems to have much more of a Clapton influence. He actually sounds a bit like Mayer in spots, though he blows Mayer into the weeds from a chops standpoint.

13. JRenn

JRenn Member

I'm not sure you've quite heard what Mayer is capable of, my friend. Even so, Mayer spanks Lincoln at songwriting, but let's not turn this into a contest.

Each artist has merit, and Lincoln's production and guitar playing on the new album is great!

14. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I can't wait to hear this record. His live disc was excellent.

15. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Hey, no Mayer hate here. I have his albums and have seen him live multiple times. He's excellent. It's just that Lincoln can pull off all the blues/rock/pop stuff that Mayer can, in addition to bringing speed, fluidity, and precision that Mayer does not have.

No argument with you on the songwriting, however.

16. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

I'm going to see him this weekend... can't wait..

17. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

18. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

Kent, WA... it's just across Lake Washington from Seattle...

19. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

he played at our church here in allentown......
    marshall 50 watt half stack..killer tone

20. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Straight on!

I love the new album.

Some Mayer inspired stuff on it, definitely. Listen to his version of Salvation is Here and the new song Let your glory shine. awesome!