NEW line 6 HX EFFECTS multieffect

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Vintage Corpse Reviews, Jan 20, 2018.

1. skisquash

skisquash Member

+1 Looking forward to trying that too this afternoon. Thanks for following up.

2. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

Recognizing that different people will use the HX in a variety of ways there is an enhancement to Global Settings > Switches that I believe would really benefit a particular use case.

The scenario is where a preset with snapshots is being used throughout a song, though it might have other application as well. So for instance where a preset 'Alice' has four snapshots - 'Intro', 'Verse', 'Chorus' and 'Solo'.

As DI pointed out here, 'Preset mode is the superset of both preset and snapshot mode—its behavior determines how one exits back to Stomp mode.' He then gives a couple of examples of how it can be used.

One way to use this is to have Preset mode set to 'momentary' and Snapshot mode set to 'latching' and when in Preset footswitch mode press BANK-up and BANK-down simultaneously to enter Snapshot footswitch mode. (In this mode all four snapshot labels are displayed and the snapshots can be randomly accessed as opposed to scrolling serially using up and down snapshot switches.)

The beauty of this is that you can now toggle between Snapshot mode and Stomp mode using one button press. In Stomp mode press 'MODE' to flip to Snapshot mode and then select a snapshot to flip back to Stomp mode. Minimum tap dancing.

As it works at present, selecting a preset switches you into Stomp mode and pressing 'MODE' returns you to Preset mode. Then if you want to use Snapshot mode you double-press the Bank buttons to switch mode. And from thereon in you can seamlessly switch between Snapshot and Stomp mode.

It may seem petty but I find that step of having to flip between Preset and Snapshot modes disruptive. So what I currently do is take a setup step of selecting a preset, returning to Preset mode, toggling into Snapshot mode and preceding from there. As you can see, not a big deal.

But, what would be really nice is having a setting where having selected a preset, pressing the 'MODE' button would return you directly to Snapshot mode. Less disruptive and even less tap dancing. This is the enhancement.

I don’t know if this would be useful and am presenting the idea here in the event that you can see reasons it might be impracticable or even dumb. But if enough people think it might be of use I will submit an entry to IdeaScale.

As an aside, when using snapshots I have Global Settings > Preferences > Snpsht Edits set to 'discrd'. Which is great when using snapshots but a pain when building them - you have to save the preset (double press) every time you go to another snapshot if you want to preserve your work. So I set Snpsht Edits to 'recall' when building or editing and to 'discrd' when using. This minimizes button pressing, which you might have inferred is something I am somewhat averse to :)

guitarno likes this.
  3. -Empire

-Empire Member

Put the reverb in a parallel path with 100% mix. I think you can assign the expression pedal to control the "split block" parameters.

I found the klon model to be shockingly accurate

4. Buckethead_10

Buckethead_10 Member

I agree, and take a similar approach with snapshots as I find the two button press a bit cumbersome personally. It would be great to at least have the option to change the assignment in global settings how to enter snapshots or stompmode as I rarely use stompmode personally.

I do think Deselby, you are taking an extra step if I’m understanding your post correctly. If you set preset mode to latch, you don’t have to enter stomp mode after selecting a preset and can go directly to snapshots after selecting a preset with the two button press.

To add to this, I think it would be great to be able to use the bank up and down to change between sets of snapshots without having this go back to presets. Also, I think someone previously mentioned this, but maybe an option to remove bank up and down and have an additional 2 snapshots per preset available (6 total).

So far these are the only areas I feel could be more flexible. I’m really liking the hx fx and it has worked very well with the Jp2c using midi.

5. Bluetick Baarrrooo

Bluetick Baarrrooo Member

Lightbulbs! Will give it a try soon. Mucho thanks for the knowledge.

6. CWit28

CWit28 Member

Anyone sucessfully powering their HX with a Voodoo Labs Mondo? If so how are you doing it? I was planning on using the courtesy outlet but once i mounted the Mondo to my Pedaltrain I realized that the plug for the HX can't fit between the rails because the plugs are turned the opposite direction of the outlet.

7. xcc

xcc Member

You could use one of these to turn the direction of the plug:

That way you don’t lose two of your outputs.

8. CWit28

CWit28 Member

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking I might want/have to do. Anyone see a problem using one like this that swivels?

[​IMG]

9. xcc

xcc Member

Nope, should be fine as long as it’s good quality. Moving parts are a possible point of failure, but once it’s in place it probable won’t ever move much.

LordByron likes this.
  10. Bluetick Baarrrooo

Bluetick Baarrrooo Member

The solution was to put a volume pedal block on the B path in front of the reverb, and control that volume pedal with expression. Controlling the split block by pedal only turns the split on-off, so to have continuous level control over the 'send', the volume pedal option is the best I've figured out. The downside is it eats up an extra block, but the upside is it's opening a whole realm of possibilities. The new HX reverbs with very high decay settings work great for laying pads, and lower decay settings also achieve my original goal. I have to say, this is now making we wish I had double the switches/paths/horsepower... oh my word, am I actually considering trading up to a full Helix? Just maybe

11. -Empire

-Empire Member

Ah yes I was thinking maybe there was a level control on the split block but now that I'm checking, there isn't. Volume pedal would work.

hahah do it!

12. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

Thanks. I want to toggle between Stomp mode and Snapshot mode with one button press. Setting Preset mode to latch means that after going to Snapshot mode and selecting a snapshot you are returned to Preset mode.

Here is a table that describes the current behavior when setting Preset and Snapshot mode preferences. In each case pressing 'MODE' when in Stomp mode will return you to the mode Stomp was entered from with the exception of when Snapshot is Momentary.

[​IMG]

13. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

If you set the Split block type to A/B and assign its RouteTo parameter to EXP 1 or EXP 2, you shouldn't need a separate Volume Pedal block.
    Also remember that in either Preset or Snapshot mode, you can set FS1/FS3 to Bank, Preset, or Snapshot Up/Down. So if you typically select your presets or snapshots in order, you wouldn't need to manually switch between the two modes.

LordByron and -Empire like this.
  14. orourke

orourke Member

I've been using my HX for about 3 weeks now. I go stereo into various amps. Sometimes Quilter 101 solid state, sometime Mesa Mark IV. I go straight into the front of whatever amps I'm using and I'm not experiencing any noticeable hiss issues. I really love this unit! It's working out really well for me.

HollyviewMan likes this.
  15. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

Roger on that. A fair number of things I am doing really require random access and I find having the snapshot labels visible helps. I know the enhancement suggestion is small beer but it would be a nice to have.

One thing I am really not clear on is what is a use case for setting Snapshot to momentary.

Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  16. xcc

xcc Member

Before I submit a ticket, does anyone have issues scrolling parameter pages? It may have started with the last update, but if I scroll one way to a page I can’t go back out of it. Like I can go all the way to the right, but it stays there and won’t budge after that. I have to go to a different preset and back again to adjust anything.

This happens on new presets and old, it also happens in the effect chooser.

17. Bugeater

Bugeater Member

I'm getting an odd, yet repeatable behavior when editing the Vintage Digital delay. I attached a expression pedal controller to bit depth, but when I move the expression pedal the unit freezes up. It still makes sound, but none of the buttons do anything.

I control many other things with this expression pedal on the HX Effects with no issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this or is it possibly a bug?

EDIT: Shortly after this, the unit kept freezing on the boot screen. I had no choice but to do a factory reset. Unit works again, but I lost days of work. I should've been saving my presets to the editor, but now I don't trust this thing at all. This is my second unit...the first got sent back due to a different issue. Not pleased.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  18. 254 stringer

254 stringer Member

A user on talkbass reported the same freezing issue today and another was able to duplicate the behavior.

19. Bugeater

Bugeater Member

Thanks for that info. It's reassuring that it's not just me, so hopefully it'll get some attention.

20. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Please report that. Sounds like a bug.