NEW line 6 HX EFFECTS multieffect

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Vintage Corpse Reviews, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Ivan Hristov

Ivan Hristov Member

Well, some of them sound pretty good actually!

2. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

It is annoying that when saving a preset name on the device you can only delete space, not insert it. The HX Stomp allows you both insert and delete space when editing the name. Aside from the inconsistency between the interfaces it is clear the HX Stomp gets it right.

3. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

One of the things I always liked about the RE-201 was the included reverb. I tried recreating that here by putting the Cosmos Echo along with the '63 Spring model on a parallel path. I have the mix on the Cosmos Echo at 100, and I'm controlling the wet/dry mix with the A/B split block in the HX Effects. Guitar is a Fender American Professional Series Jaguar and amp is a Bogner Atma mic'ed with a Sennheiser E906.

4. zsno

zsno Supporting Member

That's an awesome idea I hadn't thought of, thanks for sharing!

5. Ivan Hristov

Ivan Hristov Member

Anyone.....

6. Blackmoreguitar

Blackmoreguitar Silver Supporting Member

Hi, I don't know if I can help, (I've been messing with my Axe FX for the last month or so and the HX effects has sat in it's bag during that time!), but maybe if you could be much more specific about how you have the HX effects connected up, then you may get some responses I don't really understand this part of your post:

"When I connect the guitar with my pedals straight in the input of the amp, and then use only the input and output of the Hx Effects trough my amps fx loop there is no tone loss, but I cannot use the drives on the Hx...."

Can you tell us exactly how it's connected when you get the muddy sound; (are you saying it is when you use it in 4 cable method?), and what other gear you are using then hopefully someone can give some advice.

Ivan Hristov likes this.
  7. CWit28

CWit28 Member

I have a routing/wiring question. I've been running my set up with my dirt pedals in loop 1 (S/R1) and my Timeline and Bigsky in loop 2 (S/R2). The reason the dirt pedal are in a loop is so that I can run one the the compressors and a noise gate before my dirt pedals. Now I'm now using stereo amps and want to run the Timeline & Bigsky in stereo, which from what I can tell means that I need to use S/R1 and S/R2 both for my wet effects. Is it possible to run them in stereo some other way so I can keep S/R1 for the dirt, thereby keeping the gate and compressor before the dirt?

8. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Do you need the Timeline and Bigsky in a loop? Do they change position in your signal chain at all? You should be able to put them after your HX and just control them via midi from the HX.

9. CWit28

CWit28 Member

I could do that, I pretty much always have them last in the chain. But I found that I had to turn down the send signal from the HX about -12db into the Strymon pedals because I was getting clipping in the Bigsky, especially with the more modulated verbs like Cloud. Then I am using the 3db boost on the Bigskky plus whatever the max boost is on the return of the loop to get the signal back up before it goes to the amps. I couldn't figure out any other way to get the clipping to stop. But if someone has a suggestion I'm all ears!

10. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Do you have the HX Effects' 1/4" outs and FX loops set to line level, maybe? If you have them set to instrument, they shouldn't be clipping the Strymon pedals.

11. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

I have submitted an item to ideascale to request an update to the UI to support character insertion when editing names and labels.

"With HX Effects you can only delete, not insert, characters when Customizing a Footswitch (p.13), Saving/Naming a Preset (p.14), Renaming a Snapshot (p.26). With the Helix, Helix LT and HX Stomp characters can be inserted when performing these actions. This is obviously the desired behaviour. The request is to update the UI for HX Effects to have it conform to behaviour of the other devices."

If you’re interested in upvoting the item it can be found here.

TubeStack likes this.
  12. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Why are you naming presets on the unit anyway? This is one of the main advantages of HX Edit... :)

13. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

Yes, I have the unit connected to a computer at all times:p One of the things that gives the Helix family a leg up over other solutions is the simplicity and power of the UI. Maybe Helix Core normalizes behaviour across the family and the request has already been addressed. One can only hope:)

14. Grimace

Grimace Supporting Member

Keep Bluguitar at -10.
    Set the inputs and outputs on the HX at instrument.
    Plug guitar into HX.
    Run cable from HX loop 1 out to main input on BluGuitar
    Run cable from Bluguitar loop out to HX loop 1 in.
    Run cable from HX main out to Bluguitar loop in.
    Start with an empty patch on HX
    Insert effects loop 1 block somewhere in the middle window of the effects block view.

Play around without adding any more effect blocks, does it sound the same as plugging guitar directly into BluGuitar? Mine does.

If it does not, swap out some cables.

Assuming it sounds OK, you can add drives to the left of the effects loop block, time based stuff after the effects loop block, or whatever you want.

BTW, Minotaur or screamer models sound great boosting the vintage and classic channels.

Ivan Hristov likes this.
  15. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I prefer to work directly on the HXFX itself, so @DeSelby makes a great suggestion. I don’t own a computer and don’t want to borrow my wife’s laptop every time I work on FX.

iPad/tablet integration would be cool...

joeriz and DeSelby like this.
  16. CWit28

CWit28 Member

I'll double check when I can but I'm pretty sure I had them all set to instrument.

17. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I’m going to be gigging my HXFX for the first time on Friday. I’ve had it a couple weeks and used it at one band practice. Really enjoying it, so far!

Going to use the HXFX pretty simply: stompbox mode with one preset for my LP and the same preset with an EQ block added for my 335. Primarily delay, mod, comp, and amp switching from the HXFX and old school pedals for OD, fuzz, wah.

Anyway, one question:

Should I leave the HXFX powered on between sets? Turn it off? Does it matter?

Thanks.

18. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I've left mine on for days at a time... I would never ever think of turning it off between sets.

gumtown likes this.
  19. gumtown

gumtown Member

I would not power off between sets,
    when I set up for a gig, nothing gets powered off, just amps to standby.
    Chances are you might have setup with unsaved tweaked parameters, or for some stuff (not the HX specifically),
    that 1:1,000,000 failure happens when something powered off and won't switch back on.

TubeStack likes this.
  20. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Leave it on.

TubeStack likes this.