NEW line 6 HX EFFECTS multieffect

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Vintage Corpse Reviews, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

Bit of a disaster.

I plugged the supplied HX Effects USB cable into the HX Effects. It connected to my MacBook, and then it showed no connection. I plugged it out and in a couple of times with no success. I then took out the usb cable and looked in the port and the two top pins in the usb input of the HX are mangled. All I did was plug it in! I can still use it but without USB. Has anyone heard about this? I have a feeling the HX Effects port was faulty.

2. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

Well... within moments @Frank Ritchotte has sorted it all out for me. Absolutely amazing customer service.

Thanks Frank!

3. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Just a bump to give the HXFX some love. The Stomp kind of stole its thunder, but the HXFX is really an amazing unit for us tube amp players. I've had mine for six months and am still discovering new stuff with it all the time. With my EVH wah, a couple real OD/fuzz pedals and EP Booster, it’s an incredibly versatile setup. :beer

TNJ, ccouch7 and Frank Ritchotte like this.
  4. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

I’m now using my HXFX on a mini board paired with my Bluguitar Amp1. Super simple 100 watt rig with amazing amp tones and effects. My effects are pretty simple as there little need for drives - so the HXFX handles all the delay, modulation and more ambient reverbs using 4CM.

ccouch7 and CarlGuitarist like this.
  5. edk74

edk74 Member

total noob here, with some quick questions:
    • I have a Fender Mustang III, with amp simulation etc - so the HX-FX would make more sense than the Stomp, right? (more individual control etc).
    • will the HX-FX work fine with the Fender Mustang III (using effects loop/or just in front)? Any issues that people know of?
    • I'm interested in pilling up some effects, in the shoegaze genre. Think.. my bloody valentine or slowdive. Anyone else here doing that? Is this the right board, or is there something better at the same price, that allows stacking of effects. I'm guessing, a large reverb, 2 or 3 delays stacked, something to make some warmth, a little distortion.

Thanks,
    Ed

6. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I think the answer to all these questions is yes... It sound the HX Effects will work well for you. As far as stacking effects, the HX Effects works really well for that. You have nine blocks to work with in a preset, and each block can basically be whatever you want it to be (with a few exceptions - you can't have more than two 1024 IR blocks, and there's still an overall DSP limit). With the specific effects you mentioned, it will work great.

edk74 likes this.
  7. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

@edk74, Ed, So long as you are certain that you would not want the benefit of also having access to use any of Helix's Amps and Cabs (while using your Mustang III as a powered cab), the HX FX would be a great way to go. Otherwise, the HX Stomp would be something to consider. Albeit the HX Stomp offers fewer footswitches than the HX FX.

If you have a computer available you could try the free trial of Helix Native to explore Helix's Amps and Cabs with your Mustang III. This would allow you to hear if any of the Helix's Amps and Cabs are of use to you. If not the HX Stomp would likely be your prevailing choice. BTW, Helix Native was just on a 30% discount sale (and may currently still be on sale) for any Helix Hardware owners. This would reduce the Helix Native price to $69.99, if you were to buy either the HX FX or HX Stomp.

I have a Mustang IV and Mustang III, both are v.2 units. They work great with the Helix gear. You didn't mention if your Mustang III is a v.2 or an original. The v.2 models offer the ability to change the signal chain positioning of the FX Return. See: Mustang III and Line 6 M9 Upgrade?. Additionally, the v.2 models also have the Studio Preamp Preset which allows for a more streamlined signal path regardless if you choose to use the Mustang's Instrument In or the FX Return.

Regardless if you go HX FX or HX Stomp, get ready to have a blast! I found Helix's Amps, FX, and Cabs, work great with my Mustang IV v.2 as a powered cab, although most of the time I'm using my Helix gear with Studio Monitors or a pair of Yamaha DXR10 Main Monitors. YMMV. Almost forgot to mention, I have Helix Floor, HX Stomp, and Helix Native.

edk74 likes this.
  8. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

Does anyone have any issues with getting the tuner to be accurate? It’ll sometimes identify the wrong strings, not tune correctly. This is in a band situation, not at home.

9. edk74

edk74 Member

I have the v2, so that's good. I'm trying out the demo version right now in Reaper! Using my Fender Twin as output, into a Minatour - sounds great! much better than any of the Fender built in OD effects.

What I do miss at first glance, is a nice user-interface like NI Guitar Rig... I really love that layout :)

MusicLaw likes this.
  10. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Wow! Frank is everywhere, all the time. He's as mobile as Santa Claus at Christmas, but all year round.

He saved me and it happened at light speed, just as I am reading here.
    I've never heard of or seen customer support anywhere else be any better!

11. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

Although a skeuomorphic design is wonderful eye candy and provides instant recognition of familiar gear, it vastly complicates UI development, coding complexity, and more. Line 6 has been very clear why they chose a non-skeuomorphic design.

edk74 likes this.
  12. edk74

edk74 Member

yes... I can't deny that I just like eye-candy :) But I found the following link you probably refer to, and I can understand those points completely, and once things are setup, who cares about the GUI I guess...

https://line6.com/support/topic/318...for-the-blocks/?do=findComment&comment=244598

MusicLaw likes this.
  13. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I bought my HX Effects about a month ago. While I haven't had much play time with it yet (unfortunately), I have to say it's very impressive so far. User-friendly too, which is a must for me (I went the programmable multi-fx route twenty years ago and it kinda scarred me;)).

I've created a preset for my Tele, with the Red Squeeze comp, Timmy, Klon, Opto Trem, Script Phase 90 and Simple Delay. All of them sound great so far and are very easy to tweak. Next up will be a preset for my PRS DGT, which will likely just be a couple of different boosts and a delay (with room for some wild card effects as I need them).

I'm looking forward to creating an Andy Summers / Police preset. All the old school is in there, so it should be fairly simple.

TubeStack likes this.
  14. sws1

sws1 Member

I'm going to let the masses sort out the issues with 2.8 before I do anything to upgrade my HX. Simply too matches patches and snapshots that would disrupt my gig schedule if I ever lost. (I'd probably quit the band rather than try to recreate.)

As an aside, I'd love the ability to get a paper printout of each preset as a backup, so that if I needed to recreate, I could just follow the paper. I could probably print out the HTML for each preset as it has the numbers. It mostly makes sense.

Anyway...

Is there a way to go back to my current OS version if for some reason 2.8 doesn't work properly? Including my presets? ie a FULL restore back to today's setup

15. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Just create a backup in HX Edit prior to doing the update. You can always roll back the firmware if you need to. It’s just that in order for a backup to work with an older firmware it has to made with that firmware.

16. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

HX Effects has a new hot fix, available now—2.80.1. This fixes a very rare bug where the internal master volume could be inadvertently set to zero. This ONLY affects HX Effects; there is currently no 2.80.1 for Helix Floor/Rack/LT or HX Stomp.

17. Jacob Van Noy

Jacob Van Noy Member

Thanks for the update and fixes. I have updated the firmware to both 2.80 and 2.80.1 and performed a factory reset (I backed up my HX on the older firmware which I later used when going back to 2.70) and I had muted outputs both times. I’m not sure the hot fix is doing it for some of us.

18. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

LOL - is that what’s going on? 2.8 is installed and nothing is coming out in 4CM. I guess I need the update.

Weird it was fine yesterday.

19. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

The new overdrives from the update are flat out killer! The Zen drive model especially just kills! Really love this thing after over a year with it.

20. reo73

reo73 Member

Just pulled the trigger on a HX Effects to use with my tube amp rig. Excited about all the possibilities. Question...is there an app editor for programming it or is everything done at the unit itself?

Frank Ritchotte likes this.