NEW line 6 HX EFFECTS multieffect

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Vintage Corpse Reviews, Jan 20, 2018.

1. HollyviewMan

HollyviewMan Member

HAHA! I can't let go of y Polytune either!

2. leechesofkarma

leechesofkarma Member

Coming from a Helix and have two questions
    1. How do you access snapshots? Running 2.5 I think.

2. I'm using 2 fx loop blocks, 1 noise gate, 1 gain block, 1 simple eq... all utility stuff and I can't be using hardly any DSP yet I'm only left with a couple of blocks for actual effects. Can we add a second row option that can be turned on in global so I can properly use all the dsp I have on tap for those of us using a lot of utility items?

3. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

Whelp, except for sorting out the power (I'm waiting on a mail-order right angle barrel adapter for the HX Effects) this is essentially what I've settled on for my new small board... And I'm thinking with it I won't need a big board any longer...

[​IMG]

Simple simple... Crybaby Mini >> HX Effects >>Axess BS2 Buffer/Splitter all on a PedalTrain Metro 16... The Crybaby and BS2 reduce the wear and tear on the main HX FX IO jacks, and I like having a toe switch for my wah, as well as the option to split my signal easily on stage if I need to (without going into the menu and splitting my output yada yada yada)... For the eagle eyed among you, the extra barrel power plug sitting between the HX FX and the wah is for my L6 G30 wireless, which I only bother with for gigs... The Axess and Crybaby (and wireless, when used) are powered by an old and trusted low-profile Pearl isolated power supply (MiJ, circa 1987) that's mounted under the board and that I've used on one board or another forever...

4. voxylady

voxylady Member

Just got my HX yesterday and loving it so far. I have a question though, and not sure if it's been answered in the thread.

Is it better to leave the power switch on and have it boot up when I plug the pedal board power in? Or should I turn it off via the power switch every time I'm done using it?

5. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Doesn't matter; whatever's more convenient.

6. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

This guy messaged me on facebook asking about the HX FX last week so I talked him through how he could replace each pedal on his board with it. Well apparently he pulled the trigger and today he just sent me this:

[​IMG]

This was his old board, pretty nice:

[​IMG]

I think he'll end up running the drives in one of HXFX's loops so he can put a compressor and TS808 before them.

Refinery > Helix SP Comp (both are ross-based)
    Tylerdrive > Helix TS808
    Flint, tuner, and H9 max replaced with their Helix equivalent models.

This unit really is a game changer for amp+pedal guys.

skisquash, KeLynne, MIJLOVER and 2 others like this.
  7. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike Supporting Member

I know this was mentioned earlier and worked for one of my amps to reduce noise......so just a reminder.

If you are running 4CM and have an unbuffered FX Loop, try running the HX Send/Return at line level.
    This made a huge difference for my Two Rock Classic Reverb Sig.

8. Anthony G

Anthony G Member

I was playing around in global settings and noticed if you have your snapshot mode set to latching, but your preset mode is set to momentary, snapshot mode is stuck in momentary mode.
    Is this the intended design, because it somewhat defeats the purpose of this setting?

strangec likes this.
  9. Digital Igloo

Digital Igloo Member

Yep. Preset mode is the superset of both preset and snapshot mode—its behavior determines how one exits back to Stomp mode. The advantage here is that you only need two switches to switch snapshots and return to Stomp mode: MODE, SNAPSHOT X, done. (Actually fewer; if you set Stomp Mode to 4 switches and set Up/Down to Snapshots, you can just stay in Stomp mode.)

If you want MODE to toggle between Snapshots and Stomps without automatically switching back to Stomps, set both Preset and Snapshot mode to latching.

strangec, skisquash and shanesiegle like this.
  10. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

I have an older Pro Mod and it works really, really well with it. The newer Splawn's might be different but to run the 4cm and use the amp switching I had to get a midi amp switcher, the other fix would have been to use two hum eliminators. If I didn't I got a ground loop hum since there was five cables going back and forth. Once I got that sorted out I couldn't be happier.

CATSCANMAN and Uncle Mike like this.
  11. Anthony G

Anthony G Member

I understand why this is like this, but I wish this behavior was controllable.

The way I play momentary presets make the most sense. In the odd case where I have a preset with snapshots though I want to be able have snapshots operate in latching mode, even if this means after I select my preset I have to hit the mode switch again to enable snapshot mode.

strangec likes this.
  12. rickgk

rickgk Member

No difference here

13. xcc

xcc Member

I’m looking at the Red Panda Tensor which accepts USB MIDI. According to the manual the HX does this but apparently only to computers. Is there any way it could work with the Tensor? Of course if Line 6 could work in some glitchy CT5 type stuff I wouldn’t need it (wink wink nudge nudge).

From the manual: “The HX E ects device receives and transmits MIDI messages via its 5-pin MIDI In & Out connectors, as well as via USB, providing functionality with just about any MIDI hardware or software gear you may want to use with it. USB MIDI operation is func- tional with Mac & Windows computers, as well as with iPad or iPhone mobile devices.*”

14. Incufan7

Incufan7 Member

The editor is going to make this thing epic. I'll have axe edit open on one screen and hx effects edit on the other. Patch making nirvana :p

HollyviewMan likes this.
  15. skisquash

skisquash Member

I'll have to check but I thought I set this up as you describe by setting the snapshot to latching, if I'm following you. So once I'm in a preset I can then go to presets and stay & switch around the snapshots. When I'm done, I can just switch exit go back to the presets.

16. treeuh

treeuh Member

Just set up my board with it (I’ll post pics soon), but just wondering if someone who has more hours on it knows if it’s possible to assign the input/output modes with a preset...

For instance 1A could be set to instrument level in/out, but when switched to 4A it would change to line level in/out... I’m a guitar and keys player, and I rigged up a way to conveniently run my keys rig through the HX but it’d kinda suck to have to go into global settings every time I switched instruments

17. sws1

sws1 Member

The way mine is...
    Let's say I am looking at the 4 snapshots.
    I select between them ad nauseam.
    I rarely, but sometimes, hit MODE to go into stomp mode...e.g., to use the looper
    Hitting mode puts be back into snapshot mode.
    (I have songs where I need to use different snapshots, while playing a loop, so I have to go back and forth)
    When song is done, I hit bank up or bank down and then find the preset I want.
    After selecting the preset (and here's the only downside), I then have to push both bank buttons simultaneously to put it into snapshot mode. Not a huge thing however, since I only do that in-between songs.

strangec likes this.
  18. HollyviewMan

HollyviewMan Member

I thought about asking this same question! I have my powered by my board so when you plug the board it the HX switch is already on so it just boots up. I was hoping I wasn't doing damage to the unit! Awesome Thanks! :)

19. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike Supporting Member

I have been trying to trouble shoot the hum and hiss that the HX is introducing into my amp.

I added two Ebtech Hum Eliminators onto various power sources. One on the amp and the other onto the HX and then the UA OX. The only way I can completely eliminate the Hum is to remove the HX from the signal chain. I have even tried removing the SPDIF and Apogee Interface from the signal chain all to no avail.

Removing everything and leaving just the HX and the Amp with the Ebtech Hum Eliminator or adding a second Ebtech to the HX does nothing. I have even tried using the Strymon Zuma power supply which I at first thought eliminated some of the hum but it didn't make much difference.

Using my analog pedalboard without the Ebtech Hum Eliminators, everything is dead quiet. Adding the UA OX back in everything is dead quiet.

The following is the signal chain......any thoughts?
    No differences between 4CM and just using 2 cables.

I am at the point where I have to believe the noise issues are the HX.
    [​IMG]

After Baron55 noted that I shouldn't have used 2 Hum Eliminators, I removed one from the OX. Made no real audible difference.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    rickgk likes this.
  20. G_LooseCannon

G_LooseCannon Member

Hi all.
    New member.

I currently run hx FX into the loop of my victory v30
    main Guitars, charvel San dimas and a Stratocaster.

Absolutely loving it and now have a one item pedal board
    Agree about the uni Vibe. Ace

Ànyhow introduction over.. I'm struggling to get into the whole snapshot thing. Is there an idiot proof guide available.

Cheers
    G