New living room/bookshelf system help

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by blowery, Nov 15, 2017.

1. blowery

blowery Supporting Member

Alright, looking for a smallish home stereo for the living room/kitchen/dining area.

we had a Bose lifestyle at our old house that was from the previous owner. We just sold that house and I left it because I'm not a fan of Bose of all, but my wife liked a "decent" sounding stereo. It was OK, but nowhere near worth the money they charge for them.

I'm looking at the Denon D-M41
    https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hifi/mini/dm40

Or something similar. I can always add a sub if there isn't enough low end. Not sure how "loud" this can get though. We do like to crank it up sometimes.

Any thoughts or ideas in the $500ish range.

Wants:
    Great Sound
    CD Player
    Radio
    blue tooth or wifi
    inputs for TV (optical/digital)
    Analog input (hook up the old record player)
    Loud-ish
    Sub-pre would be great if needed

This doesn't need to be surround, but I would be fine with that if there is something that sounds great in that range.

I'm not opposed to a piecemeal system...it just has to be semi-easy to use for my wife/kids and have a CD player.

thanks

derekd likes this.
  2. karmadave

karmadave Member

Seems like a pretty decent system, but they have added Bluetooth and a few other features to the DM41SBK...

blowery likes this.
  3. Tachymetres

Tachymetres Supporting Member

blowery likes this.
  4. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

5. blowery

Thanks for all the information, I'll check those sites out.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

blowery likes this.
  7. Tachymetres

Tachymetres Supporting Member

I don't know that reference.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

Old Stereophile from the 1980-1990s. Sam Tellig, the "Audio Cheapskate".

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  9. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

You can find great stuff that ticks all your boxes except wifi, but that's an easy workaround, at garage/estate sales, Goodwill, etc.

I just hooked up some friends with a Yamaha 100WPC Natural Sound AV receiver, Samsung DVD player and Boston Acoustics towers that cost me a total of $20. Sounds crazy good - fills the whole open LR, Kitchen, DR with loud, clean sound.

In my LR, I'm running an Adcom pre/545 MKII power amp, Oppo CD/DVD player into some vintage Polk Audio CR-7s, all of which I got for a little under $100. It's not high-end, but you can see it from there. <g>

I'd suggest looking for something like the Yamaha, or an Onkyo for a receiver and finding some small, good bookshelves on eBay (I really like Tannoy PBM-6.5s) and a sub. Probably well under $200 for a whole rig, and will sound very nice.

blowery likes this.
  10. blowery

Those look pretty interesting, would still need a AM/FM plus CD. I'll look into that setup a bit.

That may be an option if I can't find the specs/settings I need for a decent price.
    I really like the Denon, but not sure it will be loud enough?

I have an Onkyo setup in the basement for surround that blows the old Bose I had away. It just doesn't have CD or bluetooth so it's kinda out.

I am a Yamaha fan, so I might check out some stuff from them.

11. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

are you sure you would need radio(or even a CD player) ?
    seems like streaming is the simplest way to go these days - you mention making is easy for the Mrs and the kids
    Spotify (or Pandora) > iPad or iPhone > Bluetooth > amplifier > speakers
    simple as it gets

blowery likes this.
  12. finwhale

finwhale Member

NAD receiver with OHM walsh 2 off of ebay

stay away from small mini monitors - they are a very compromised design

blowery likes this.
  13. blowery

While that is pretty nice, and we may have to go that route because we only have a few radio stations where we live. The other issue is, internet is also sketchy lol and "capped" at the moment although I don't think streaming audio uses much data. I'm hoping for a point to point connection soon. We are 7.5 miles out of town and we might as well be 100 for internet around here lol.

As for CD's, my wife has a few she likes to listen to, although I could always find a power speakers/bluetooth that has analog inputs I suppose.

I will look into those Ohm Walsh 2, thanks! personally I want it to sound good and realize smaller monitors are just limited period.

14. mannish

mannish Supporting Member

I have NAD integrated amp & Paradigm Titans but all that is unplugged I use the DeepBlue 2 speaker now - I just stream music, haven't played a CD in a while

15. blowery

Just thought I would update with what I got. First off, it sounds pretty great and blows the Bose away.

I could never find one of the smaller bluetooth devices without some sort of shortcoming, in features mainly, but also in price. After scouring around a little I found a few bargain gems.

I started with receiver, a refurb unit from accessories4less.com
    Pioneer VSX-830k - Wifi a/v receiver, bluetooth, built in pandora/spotify/airplay, full 4k HDMI, 5.1,

Subwoofer -
    Emotiva Basx S8 subwoofer - https://emotiva.com/product/basx-s8/ Tight bass, not woofy/boomy and doesn't take up a huge spot in the room. Really impressed with the output from this sub.
    Amplifier type – High efficiency Class D.
    Amplifier power – 150 Watts RMS.
    Frequency response – 28 Hz – 150 Hz (+3/-3 dB).

Speakers -
    Sony SS-CS5 https://www.sony.com/electronics/speakers/ss-cs5#product_details_default yeah I know, Sony...but stay with me. These have been getting lots of great reviews on the audio/theatre forums. Really a great sounding speaker and a steal right now at $73 a pair. They do need a sub IMO, only so much deep end comes from bookshelves. Seriously, check out some reviews and info on these, great little speakers. Very clear and detailed.

My tv and DVD player is hooked up to the system, so for CD's we just use the DVD player. Works great and is just as simple as a dedicated CD player. The sonic quality is pretty impressive honestly and exceeded my expectations, especially the sub and bookshelf speakers. I've got old school CD options, radio, and all the streaming world built in along with airplay and bluetooth. For under $500, this system is pretty impressive.

16. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

A 3-way speaker at that size and price is pretty cool!

blowery likes this.
  17. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

Nice system! Sounds like you did some serious research!

blowery likes this.
  18. blowery

Yeah, I was really surprised when I came across those. usually they are around $140ish range, originally $250/pr range. They also make subs/center/tower in that range but apparently they aren't as impressive. I'm thinking of picking up another pair for the surrounds...but who knows.

Yeah, I spent a little time on it. I would have liked just a small micro system that sounded good, but I just couldn't find anything that didn't have issues/complaints or lacking features/volume. Once we get internet I'll be able to test the built in Pandora/spotify. That will be pretty nice.

It's interesting using a reciever that you can run/setup through your TV monitor. First receiver I've had like that. The Pioneer also has the MCACC (Muli-Channel Acoustic Calibration) feature which auto sets it up. Pretty nice feature although it has a small glitch. I haven't had a ton of time messing with it, just cranking and going...well cranking christmas tunes at the moment. :eek::rolleyes::D

thanks for help and suggestions.