New Lollar P90's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Grant Ferstat, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Brian from ACME has clued me in on some special "vintage wind" P90s which I have on the way for my Tele Jr.

Based on a 1956 LP Goldtop that is owned by a friend of Jason Lollar. Underwound version of Lollar's soapbars, with magnet strength reduced. Cleaner tone at any volume, decreased lows and mids, less growl. Scatter wound for extended frequency response. Alnico 5 magnets provide wide dynamic range, and increase the amp's tonal response to picking pressure.

I currently have a set of Fralins in the guitar (stock bridge, 15% underwound neck) but I still find them just a little pushy-I really want pickups that'll clean up off the volume just a little earlier.

Considering how much I'm in love with the GVCG Lollars in my other Tele I'm really looking forward to these arriving.

2. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

that's good to hear. i had some of his p90's in my lp special reissue and they sounded great but were a little too hot for MY liking. i like having less output in the pickups so i can crank the amp more.

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I'm with you on that...also I just found that I wanted a bit more dynamic range & volume graduation out of the pickups prior to hitting the front end of the amp hard.

I think that maybe the snappy response of a Fender scale guitar may have something to do with me wanting a lower output version of the P90 too.

4. Grant Ferstat

Vintage wind Lollar P90s just arrived in the mail at work.

Out with soldering iron tonight...rehearsal tomorrow.....

I'll report back my findings soon.

5. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Seattle (Well, perhaps, Vashon Island- no, the whole PUGET SOUND) is smiling on Perth!
    I think you will enjoy!
    Good on you!

6. Grant Ferstat

After a very quick low volume post-installation trial I can say that the vintage-wind Lollar P90s are definitely sweeter and prettier than the Fralins they've replaced.

Full volume rehearsal tomorrow with the band will tell me more.

7. Grant Ferstat

UPDATE:

These pickups, I'm pleased to say are exactly what I hoped.

Compared to the Fralins they are much lower gain, sweeter tone. Somehow the treble strings sound very rich & while the wound strings have great clarity. This seems to be Lollar characteristic as the GVCG Lollars in my other guitar have this quality too.

These vintage-wind P90s are very dynamic and clean up beautifully from the guitar volume or a lighter touch and for me have more useable range because of this. I think in my case my whole rig is actually geared towards a lower gain pickup which is why I'm finding these Lollars more expressive.

The Fralins I had were certainly a great rock pickup-raw and grainy in good way. The Lollars are sweeter and maybe a tad more polite...maybe too polite for what many people expect out of a P90 even. I'd venture to say that many would be better served with Jason's more standard P90 wind or the Fralins.

When I first purchased my Tele Jr I think I was keen for the really fat punchy ballsy P90 sound as an alternative to the "twang" of my number 1 Tele. I did find though that the Fralins were just bit too pushy for my style which is kind of equal parts chime and crunch. The new Lollars in the mahogany set-neck Tele Jr have given me a warmer broader tone than the centred punch of the ash bolt-on '98 Tele while still offering enough sweetness to be backed off when needed for the sake of song dynamics.

Thanks to Brian from ACME for the many emails of advice and thanks to Jason Lollar for being a genius!

8. ToneDog

ToneDog Member

I am very happy to hear that the vintage wind P-90s worked out for you, Grant - and thanks for the honorable mention!

As you will recall, I have a three (3) P-90 set in one of my guitars. I think we have some similiarities in our rigs and taste and it seemed like you were looking for the same sort of tone and response I was from your guitar and that's why I recommended this set. For what it's worth, I tried a set of Jason's standard P-90s first and while I liked them very much, it wasn't the sound I needed so I talked to him about doing a lower wound set and these are what he did for me. They are based on the pickups in a '56 LP Goldtop a friend of his owns.

Thanks again and best wishes, Grant!

9. Grant Ferstat

Definitely a Lollar convert!:AOK

Of course I couldn't resist getting that original P-Bass pickup for my Japanese reissue. I'll let you know how it goes.

10. ToneDog

ToneDog Member

Yeah, I meant to ask if you'd had a chance to check out the original P Bass pickup yet and forgot. Let me know how that goes!

11. Grant Ferstat

Latest update.

As expected the Lollar original P Bass pickup has improved the tone of my 90s 54/55 Japanese P-bass reissue. You can hear the windings on the strings with more clarity and the whole tonal range seems expanded but without becoming "modern" sounding. A little more growl overall.

RE the vintage-wind P90s:

I've found that I can get a more aggressive sound out of them by bringing up the pickup heights a fair bit. I've traditionally kept P90s lower due to pretty strong string pull, but I suspect with these vintage-winds the magnets may be de-gaussed a fair bit as I didn't get any nasties bringing them closer to the strings.

To me this really only adds to the versatility of the set.