New look for Zendrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by turtleheadblues, Sep 29, 2005.

1. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

I know its mean not to post a pic but I got a ZD yesterday and it now has a metal faceplate with the logo and text on it. Looks stainless steel and changes with light and angle changes.

VERY cool new look. Maybe Alf can post a pic.

2. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Cool, I hope mine is the same...

It should be here any day.

3. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

My Zendrive is from one of the earliest batches made. I kind of like the white faceplate. It has a unique, understated appearance.

BTW, does anyone know if the Zendrive can safely be run at higher voltage, such as 18 volts?

4. ahermida

ahermida Member

it can run at 18V but I don't think it will buy you much. I designed to run at 9V so people didn't have to debate which voltage to use or get new power supplies etc.

Alf

5. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I received mine about 2 weeks ago - it also has the silver faceplate....looks great. Crazy good pedal too....:dude

6. monacosis

monacosis Member

Just got mine today and it's great! just what i was looking for. Thanks again Alf!

here's a shot with another new box: FX Engineering MOAB (Mother Of All Boosts) clean boost. they make a great pair.

[​IMG]

mike

7. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

Nice!!! I wonder if the Mos is also getting the new look!?

8. ahermida

ahermida Member

yes, The Mos and the Zendrive 2 will also have new looks.

Alf

9. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

Thanks, the 4-knob Mos is on my short list.

10. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Alf,
    Still lovin' my Zendrive. Going to see Robben Ford in October with John Mayall, word is Robben is playing a Les Paul thru his Zendrive and Super Reverb on this tour. I'm in the second row, can't wait! Any idea on when the Zen 2 will start shipping.
    Thanks,
    Rick

11. ahermida

ahermida Member

hopefully I can start building sometime next month.

Alf

12. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I decided not to try 18V. Last night I opened up my Zendrive and noticed there is a 100uF/10V electrolytic cap on the circuit board. I measured 9V across it (with the pedal being powered by a fresh 9V battery). I'm afraid to exceed the voltage rating of that cap.

Here's another question: I also noticed that there is what appears to be a typical socketed 8-pin dual op-amp (with the lettering blacked out so I can't tell what the stock op amp brand/type is.) Can you recommend some alternate op amps to try out? In my case, I would be willing to trade off some gain to get better dynamics and note definition.

13. drolling

drolling Member

And it is amazing what a difference swapping an op amp can make. I'm not interested in tweaking the voicing of my Zendrive, but recently got an eternity w/a TLO72 to replace the stock (unmarked) chip. Really does make a huge difference.

14. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Speaking of the Eternity, I've been seriously considering ordering one. How does it compare with the Zendrive? Which would you say is more touch-sensitive? Which sounds more "amp-like"?

15. drolling

drolling Member

very different animal. eternity's not a low gainer. I rarely set the drive on mine past 9 o'clock