1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

New look for Zendrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by turtleheadblues, Sep 29, 2005.

1. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

I know its mean not to post a pic but I got a ZD yesterday and it now has a metal faceplate with the logo and text on it. Looks stainless steel and changes with light and angle changes.

VERY cool new look. Maybe Alf can post a pic.

2. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Cool, I hope mine is the same...

It should be here any day.

3. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

My Zendrive is from one of the earliest batches made. I kind of like the white faceplate. It has a unique, understated appearance.

BTW, does anyone know if the Zendrive can safely be run at higher voltage, such as 18 volts?

4. ahermida

ahermida Member

it can run at 18V but I don't think it will buy you much. I designed to run at 9V so people didn't have to debate which voltage to use or get new power supplies etc.

Alf

5. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I received mine about 2 weeks ago - it also has the silver faceplate....looks great. Crazy good pedal too....:dude

6. monacosis

monacosis Member

Just got mine today and it's great! just what i was looking for. Thanks again Alf!

here's a shot with another new box: FX Engineering MOAB (Mother Of All Boosts) clean boost. they make a great pair.

[​IMG]

mike

7. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

Nice!!! I wonder if the Mos is also getting the new look!?

8. ahermida

ahermida Member

yes, The Mos and the Zendrive 2 will also have new looks.

Alf

9. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

Thanks, the 4-knob Mos is on my short list.

10. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Alf,
    Still lovin' my Zendrive. Going to see Robben Ford in October with John Mayall, word is Robben is playing a Les Paul thru his Zendrive and Super Reverb on this tour. I'm in the second row, can't wait! Any idea on when the Zen 2 will start shipping.
    Thanks,
    Rick

11. ahermida

ahermida Member

hopefully I can start building sometime next month.

Alf

12. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I decided not to try 18V. Last night I opened up my Zendrive and noticed there is a 100uF/10V electrolytic cap on the circuit board. I measured 9V across it (with the pedal being powered by a fresh 9V battery). I'm afraid to exceed the voltage rating of that cap.

Here's another question: I also noticed that there is what appears to be a typical socketed 8-pin dual op-amp (with the lettering blacked out so I can't tell what the stock op amp brand/type is.) Can you recommend some alternate op amps to try out? In my case, I would be willing to trade off some gain to get better dynamics and note definition.

13. drolling

drolling Member

And it is amazing what a difference swapping an op amp can make. I'm not interested in tweaking the voicing of my Zendrive, but recently got an eternity w/a TLO72 to replace the stock (unmarked) chip. Really does make a huge difference.

14. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Speaking of the Eternity, I've been seriously considering ordering one. How does it compare with the Zendrive? Which would you say is more touch-sensitive? Which sounds more "amp-like"?

15. drolling

drolling Member

very different animal. eternity's not a low gainer. I rarely set the drive on mine past 9 o'clock