New lovepedal eternity vs. old

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bionic, Mar 17, 2008.

1. bionic

bionic Member

I have a chance to pick up a new eternity for $200 but am wondering if the only difference is aesthetic between the new ones and old.

2. btmish

btmish Member

Hmm, this should be fun!

3. rewog

rewog Member

No.
    The new ones are made with surface mount components.
    The old ones use through hole components, wired by hand.

- do a Google search on 'Eternity smd'.... :rolleyes:

4. madscientist

madscientist Member

Different construction but a sound difference may or may not be present, depending on who you talk to.

A blind audio test (where the user eq'd each pedal by ear to get the sounds as close as possible) would be interesting. Having it done at a TGP Ampfest would be even better, this way, we could all hear for ourselves in real time and get a better sense for feel.

Oh, and it would help if both pedals worked properly.

I'm considering throwing down for one and doing the test myself, but I've spent a good amount of money on pedals lately. We'll see.

5. samtheman

samtheman Member

.....pppsstt, white ones are best

;)

/sam

6. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I talked with Sean and he told me that the handwired and his newer PCB E,s are more reliable,he had been having trouble finding good source of foot switchs.
    I have a handwired Black ( E ) and a new Orange ( E6 ) and love both,the ( E6 ) Has such a nice open tone and is a bit brighter but thats can be controled by lowering the Glass knob or using a EQ,the black hand wired ( E ) is my favorite it stacks well and since getting it,I use it the most.

7. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

How does black and burst compare?

8. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

From reading many,many posts, I've gathered that the 'burst E appears to be the favorite but I'm sure there are many different opinions about this.

9. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

A lot of people love the White E as well. I have an older burst (used eBay purchase), White (used eBay purchase) and RH E an I prefer the RH (bought on sale @$229).

That said, I played the newer model at Sean's a few months ago and preferred that to my RH...clear, uncompressed and even flatter EQ than my RH.

OTOH, I much prefer the CoT and Balance over the E (or any other od, including Barber DDLG and Hermida ZD--which I really like), so take that into consideration....

10. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

+1 on the balance. Great pedal!

11. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

ANY CoT--right now it's the CoT in my CoT/Mosfet Boost Revolution pedal. I also like a blue CoT and I really like the Balance - both the silver and DAG Balance with no led. I just prefer the overall gain structure of the CoT/Balance pedals.

12. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Either fatback or gitpicker (or maybe you?) have mused before that the balance seems to get overlooked. It really sounds great. One of the 3 of you even suggested stacking a balance set to 9:00 into a CoT set at 7:00--and that is real nice. I bought a silver one from Sean and 2 used ones from the Emporium and they seem to be real consistent.

13. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I went from the cot red ( too much highs and no volume control ) to a cot gold ( too much gain and I just couldnt tweak it to my liking ) to the Purple PLexi ( original low gain version ). A Honey Bee into a PP has become my high gain rock go-to.

Could I get a good description of how the balance works and what you guys find it works best as? Is it like the cot50 in basic design, or something else?

14. Andre357

Andre357 Member

+1...........some one please describe the balance relative to the COT 50. I'm wondering the same thing as Bluesharp...

15. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Oh lordy, not again. Search function...
    BTW, I will add that only Sean knows the differences and just how many versions there have been. Hmmm...when I die my paradise will have 70 versions.

16. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

When you search you dont always get the perfectly fit answer... and you also don't get the opinions of the people in "this" thread. But yeah.. :D

You will have to get killed by an exploding 100 watt marshal thats takes out at least 3 rappers in order to achieve the 70 versions...

17. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

The Balance is a little louder with a more even eq. The CoT seems to have a titl toward presence. The Balance probably stays cleaner a tad longer and also has more gain. It has been a while since I compared the 2 head to head and I can't do it tonight....

18. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

To me, the Balance has more girth. The cot 50 blue and red that I had were BRIGHT. They are meant to be, but it wasn't my thing. The balance on the other hand is very touch sensitive and can be left on all the time if you want. If you crank the gain all the way up on it you et a very cranked tweed stones type sound out of it. But with it at 9 o'clock you can get some cool hendrix style overdrive depending on how hard you hit the strings or where your volume knob is.

19. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

I agree about "girth". My red is a touch brighter and the blue is very close--in my rig.

20. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

If they make a white one, you'd be patriotic.

The blue is just a bit darker than the red? Thats it?

girth? ;-)