New Lovepedal Magicboy?!?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mr.mattphisto, Feb 2, 2008.

1. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Any using the NEWER Magicboy (soft switch, Cusack Chicken Knob)??

Interested in getting a small vibe pedal on my board. I had the MoFaux, and it was great but it was more of a phase than a vibe IMO.

$149 is a nice price as well

2. radcliff

radcliff Member

Interesting....I heard the Mofaux was supposed to be much closer to vibe than phase.

3. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Yeah...it could just be me...the one I had was more of a phaser tone. It was great all way until you got to about 2 o'clock, then it started to sound more like a phaser...a good phaser too :roll

I played with the internal trimmer a bit, and still sounded like a phaser...to me...

The Mofaux is a great pedal, and I might buy another one...but I want to know more about the new Magicboy

4. radcliff

radcliff Member

Hmm, I mean does it sound like a vibe when it's kept slow? I really only like vibes at the deep and slow settings...the Hendrix stuff.

I heard the old Magicboy was much more of a 4 stage phase thing, I think.

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I don't have the newest one that you refer to but I had the original Magicboy in addition to the Sweetsound MoFaux. I love just about every Lovepedal I've owned and Sean is the greatest but, to me, the Magicboy was much closer to a phaser whereas the Mofaux came closer to capturing the feel and sound of a univibe.

Just my $.02. If you're REALLY after the vibe sound on a budget the Voodoo Lab Microvibe does an excellent job.

6. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

What PhilM said.

I had an older one that worked really well. It wasn't quite the same as my Fulltone Deja 2 but if I were just needing it occationally for covers, it would be fine. If you're looking to define your sound with a Vibe, I'd pick one of the high end clones--Uber, Ultra, Mojo, Deja, etc.

7. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

I TOFTT last week and ordered one. I like the idea of having something simple to take with me to gigs, so we'll see how it goes. It will be interesting to compare it to my Lovetone Doppleganger when it arrives.

8. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I don't really use vibe that much, so if anyone gets a new one and reviews it I'd love to hear what you have to say. I liked the old magic boy, but no led or 9v meant no go on the touring circuit. I'm too absent minded to remember that I have to unplug the input to save the battery or that I left the vibe on even though there is no led.

*shrugs* LED + 9v tap + only 150 sounds amazing to me.

9. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

MAGICboy Vibe is reviewed in this month's Guitar Player.

10. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Yeah, I ordered one Sunday. Buck-fifty with LED and 9v was too much for me to pass up. I also stumbled across a short video demo (I think it was linked somewhere on HC:nono) of a dude doing 'Little Wing' with one and it sounded like what I'm looking for: occasional vibe, maybe just on a solo here and there or other rare occasions when I can get away with it. I'll let y'all know after I get it, which could be a couple of weeks, based on previous experience.