New LR Baggs M80 pickup and Anthem opinions.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Grant Ferstat, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone has heard the new Baggs M80 pickup and how much better it is compared to the M1.

I'm also wondering what people think of the Anthem now that its been out for a while.

I'm looking at maybe trying something different to the iMix system I have in my J45.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the anthem is a home run; the SL version is frankly all you need, the bigger version adds cost and complexity but not much sonic benefit, just the option of panning out the mic and going back to the straight bridge piezo sound.

the M-80 is coming out in maybe april, and while it looks interesting, it's apparently going to cost almost twice as much as an M1!

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Ouch on the M80 price!

So you've found the Anthem system appreciably better than the iMix Element/iBeam?

4. TravisE

TravisE Member

Twice? So we're talking $300? Hmmm...that's kinda steep. Still, if it ends up being the be-all-end-all, it could be feasible.

5. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

I can say with utter and complete confidence that nothing in the game of amplifying acoustic guitars is EVER gonna be the be all, end all. And while I'm a huge fan of the Anthem and the M1, the M80 is still primarily a mag pickup. Mag pickups can, with work and patience sound really musical. What they can't do is sound like an acoustic guitar.

The M80 will be another player in the endless game of live acoustic guitar compromises.

6. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Yep.

7. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    I've had the Anthem SL's in both my 6 string and 12 string handmade acoustics for the past 9 months or so... play them straight into the base of my Bose Model I Classic, using the "50 hz low-pass cut 5 db" setting(?), and I like them a lot! Wish I'd had them when I was gigging 4-6 nights a week... without going to a dual-source system (piecemeal) and an expensive pre-amp (and all the attendant hassle), the Anthem sounds better than anything else I've heard... smooth and full, easy to tweak the eq and get a sound I like, and reliable and problem free (thus far).

The only gripe I have about the Anthem is that installing it changed the tone and volume of my guitars... more noticeable in the 6 string, which I have played for 33 years, well, 32 before the Anthem... I wasn't thrilled with the change, but I DO like the amplified sound, and I have recently gotten a Goodall Grand Concert to play un-plugged... so, I've kept the Anthem in the Mark Angus 6 string.

The more I have played that same 6 string, un-plugged, the more I've grown accustomed to the "new" tone and volume, and the guitar still sounds really good; just not quite as loud, not quite as hot in the mid-range, as it was prior...

I have been singularly unimpressed by my experiences with both the M1 and the M1A pick-ups... so, I'm not all that interested in the M-80...

8. TravisE

TravisE Member

Everyone's an expert. :rolleyes:

9. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

So the sole reason you make a post in a thread about acoustic pickups is to call into question my opinion? Really? Just to make me look bad? What's the point here?

At very least if you're gonna publicly disparage my post you could at least offer something by way of why you think am being pretentious.

10. TravisE

TravisE Member

I made a one setence statement without going into detail and you felt the need to educate me as though I know nothing. Don't always assume that the person that you're replying to has no knowledge of the subject.

11. walterw

The whole hook of the m-80 is supposed to be that it does sound more "acoustic", but Joseph is right, soundholes are inherently less "natural" than other solutions, as a trade off for being pretty bulletproof at high volume.

He's right as well about no pickup being the ultimate, as the tech is continually improving. (so maybe he is indeed an expert ;)

The good thing about these choices is that they don't involve big irreversible holes in the guitar.

12. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

Ah..I see what you're reacting to. My bad. I thought you were coming at me outta the clear blue. My original post (to which you reacted) wasn't directed at you. You were just the messenger and I shot you...I am sorry.

I however and past that, I stand by everything I said :)

13. TravisE

TravisE Member

Gotcha. I'm with you though, I doubt that it'll be everything that they say it is. Baggs is making some pretty incredible claims by saying "This all-in-one pickup installs in minutes and faithfully captures more of your guitar’s acoustic soul than any single pickup ever created". I'm sure we've all heard those claims before and I have yet to find anything that I find that to be true about (though I haven't had the opportunity to try the DYN-G yet). Still, I'm trying these days not to be a cynic.

Until I hear something better, I'll keep the K&K in my Martin. It's cheap and easy.

14. Grant Ferstat

I can kinda get the idea of how the M1 "sensed" the top of the guitar seeing as it was suspended from it but I'm intrigued as to how the M80 senses the back and sides of the guitar seeing as from what I can tell it doesn't have a mic component to it, and, it isn't in contact with the back and sides..

:dunno

15. walterw

i interpret the ad copy as it using the same idea, just with a more loosely-damped bottom coil that is thus more vibration-sensitive.

the active-passive switch is cool, though, like on the takamine-branded "triaxis" version of the M1.

16. Grant Ferstat

That, I have to say, sounds like a bit of ad-spin really. So it's not directly feeling the back and side vibration it's just picking up more of the top vibration which I guess you could argue is indirectly coming from the back and the sides being transferred to the top. Hmmm, well, ok. :)

Still I guess in the end it will all be down to how it actually sounds. I think the M1 is a good pickup of it's type so if this is an improvement well then I guess that could make very worthwhile for certain applications. The story seems to be that it'll basically give you similar sonics to an M1 plus an iBeam with a simpler set-up.

17. walterw

they make a big deal of which directions it will sense vibration in, so that may have something to do with it, too. (directionality is a big part of acoustic instrument transducer design, reading the good "tone" waves while ignoring the feedback waves.)

funny how it really is almost a taylor ES system in a removable unit.

18. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

I agree 100%, except that I'm not a fan of the M1. I prefer the DiMarzio Angel for that type of tone and it doesn't click as bad when you hit it with a pick.

19. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I still like my M1 blended with a K&K PWM through a Headway preamp. Perfect? no, but really pretty darned good and a very versatile combo.

It's not likely that a single source will ever fully capture everything coming off a flatop. Even single high end condenser is less than perfect. If the anthem is enough mass to change the acoustic tone, I'm not interested. But I'm definitely interested in hearing the m80.

20. Grant Ferstat

An M1 or M80 suspended from the top has enough mass to change the tone as well. Although..easier to remove I suppose. Our singer has M1's in his guitars and we pull them out when we're recording them.