New M-Audio Interface!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by muddy, Oct 8, 2005.

1. muddy

muddy Member

2. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Between the Black Box, the Trigger Finger, the MicroTrack, and this, I'm thinkin' M-Audio has to be the coolest home recording gear company out there.

I didn't realize they were part of Avid until just recently. I don't know who the big name is now, but Avid used to be the one for pro video editing and production back in the early days of digital video. So there's some history here that makes me feel even more confident about buying their stuff.

3. Sanj

Sanj Member

hmm ... so if I was to get an MBox ... that would get me protools LE .. and then if I was to get this, would I be able to control PT LE with it?

Essentially I would use the MBOX on the go .. and have this thing for more "static" applications ..

Guess what I am shooting for is to get PTLE off the Mbox, since this does not come with that packaged (at that price).

just thinking aloud and wondering ...

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Digidesign (i.e., Pro-Tools) owns M-Audio. The ProjectMix I/O is compatible with Pro-Tools and most other big name recording software. Sounds like you have a workable plan here...

5. Sanj

Sanj Member

The one question that remains unanswered is if this thing with work with PTLE .. everywhere it mentions PT-Mpowered. ..

It would suck if the MBOX had to work with PTLE and this would only work with PT MPowered. That would force me to run two versions of PT and swap stuff between them for the scenario I described earlier.

May just be Digidesign forcing folks to get the 002 for PTLE and only allowing this for PTMPow .. that way they would not hurt sales of the 002 ..

Maybe my ignorance at work here .. and apologies in advance if that is the case.

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Okay - mine just got delivered to my office this afternoon. First one shipped by Sweetwater, by the way! :)

Sez 'n' I quote: Compatible with Mackie Control, Logic Control, HUI, WDM, ASIO-2, GSIF-2, and Core Audio. In other words, standard protocols, not specific programs. So it seems like it ought to work for you if PT-LE supports any of those standards.

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Wow!

If they'd bring out a rack based version without the sliders I'd be all over that!

m-audio is one of the few companies making hardware that develops it's own drivers in-house too. Many other companies farm out the drivers which is why so many drivers are buggy...

8. Orren

Orren Member

PTLE (Pro Tools LE) does not support any of those formats at all. Pro Tools only supports the Digidesign Audio Engine (DAE).

However, Digidesign makes a special version of Pro Tools just for M-Audio hardware, called "Pro Tools M-Powered." This version ships with a special version of DAE that works with specifically enabled M-Audio hardware--of which this new device is one.

I've got PTMP (M-Powered) currently in use with a FireWire solo, and I think it lacks the ability to use the extra video package (DV Toolkit), but other than that, it's the same as PTLE.

Orren

9. Norcal_GIT_r

Norcal_GIT_r Member

If you read the specs closely it say comapitable with PT Mpowered V7. Which isnt out yet so I wonder if it works with lower versions.
    I was contemplating ordering this from Sweetwater yesterday but opted for a 002r and command 8 because I already run PTLE and wanted total compatability right out of the box.

10. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

The box also says it's compatible with Digital Performer, but after installing all the drivers in the universe, I still have no proof of that. Plus some other issues, so I'm expect to be on the phone with Sweetwater and/or M-Audio Tech Support on Monday. :(

Damn, I REALLY want this to work - I have a bunch of stuff I want to be recording, and this would make it a lot easier if I can get it to fly.

11. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Alrighty then...

No drivers (yet) for Digital Performer, no matter what M-Audio's website (and the box!) says. I'm going to keep it until they deliver the drivers, but at the moment I can't get any use out of it. :mad:

12. Blueser

Blueser Member

I just have the feeling that this thing is just too good to be true. How good can the quality of this thing be at ~$1K?

13. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Well, the feature set is terrific. It's a big heavy horse of a thing, some plastic but some metal as well. For the semi-serious home studio cat, I think it has the potential to be pretty damn useful. For the semi-pro or pro, a good set of A/D and D/A converters and a really good control surface would probably be the thing to do instead. But getting all of that in a single package for about the price of a HUI interface seems like a good thing to me.

But I won't be able to say for sure until they get around to developing the ****** drivers! :mad:

14. jim dandy

jim dandy Member

This is super cool! It has 8 onboard mic pre's, compared to the 002r's 4 mic preamps. M-Audio's stuff is pretty cool. I own a FireWire Solo, and I'll be eyeing this one in the future.

15. Norcal_GIT_r

Norcal_GIT_r Member

Looks good on paper.:D
    Hopefully there will be good drivers for it soon so Decay O can use his.

I couldnt wait for drivers I plunked down for an 002r and a DigiMax light pipe w/8 XLRS.

16. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

In case anyone cares, new drivers are out. They support DP4.6 - and naturally, I only have 4.5. Well, I'll install the drivers this weekend and if I have to upgrade Digital Performer, I will.

17. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

WHY WON'T DP4.6 LET ME REGISTER?!?!?

I've got the install disk in, I enter my name and key, and the "OK" button won't become active. ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!! :mad: So I can't get DP4.6 to launch!

Anyway, the ProjectMix drivers do support Digital Performer, but it takes some searching to figure out how to fire it up in DP mode. If anyone cares, you have to power it on holding down the "Pan" button below the "Aux1" button.

Just once, before I die, I'm going to get some freakin' audio into my Mac using the ProjectMix and DP. Just once. Please lord, just once...? :(

18. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Well, it was me versus the M-Audio, mano a mano, and I think I finally emerged, bloody but unbowed! Still can't make DP4.6 register, finally said 'screw it' and fired up (and upgraded) Ableton Live 5 (a pretty hip little program, actually - I'm very impressed and happy with it!), closed my eyes and pushed some buttons at random (the drivers for Live 5 are out and posted, but not the documentation :rolleyes: ), and son of a bitch! - it works! Once you've finally got the Project Mix talking to your computer and DAW software, it's very very cool indeed! More as I get more experience with it.

Fired up the Trigger Finger as well - still making that happen, but it has the potential to be exactly the drum machine I've been looking for for doing "live" drum tracks without the fuss and muss of actually, say, buying, mic'ing, and learning to play drums. :)

I really like the Ableton software - far more user friendly than DP, and now that I'm not trying to run it through the Black Box, it doesn't sound bad and not much latency. The BB is fine for what it is - a tool for getting your guitar and scratch vocals down on hard disk - but it's not the optimal audio interface by a long shot.

So finally, just once, I got some sound through the ProjectMix onto my Mac.