New M*rshall Kits from Weber? (Cheap!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bscepter, Oct 5, 2005.

1. bscepter

bscepter Member

2. Roe

Roe Member

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

Damn! This almost... and I mean almost makes me wish I had opted for this instead of a Valvetech. I think, however, the Hayseed will be all that and more.

4. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

i know the weber kits are nice but trust me, you won't be disappointed in the vavletech. i have a hayseed teefus special head that smokes a lot of other really nice amps.

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

I know, I know... I'm just feeling more GAS pains, even though I don't even have my Hayseed yet! Actually, I still want to build a bedroom amp. I was thinking of buying one of Ted's tweed champ kits. (But I was sort of drooling at the thought of building a KT66-powered 45w head).

6. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Wow, am I reading that correctly? $550 for an 18-watt kit which includes the finished cabinet and speaker?

Has anyone made one of these? I'd be curious about the quality of the components and cabinet.

7. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

here's to weber! they're such a great resource for us guitar players, with awesome products and support. and none of the hyped up price inflation that you often see in musical gear.

i'm sure these kits are going to be great--everything i've ever gotten from weber certainly is!

8. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

I built one of their JTM 45 kits. I now use it as my main "dirty" amp in my two amp setup. (SFSR handles the clean duties) For the most part they are good product. The only things that are questionable are the jacks and switches, but other then that... good stuff. The guys on the kitbuilding forum are great also, they can walk you through about any problem. They're some very knowledgable guys.

I don't know how the thing sounds compared to a 'real' JTM 45, but for my tastes, it sure sounds good.

My $0.02

mR

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I hope his company does very well. Those prices on those kits are amasing.

If you get a chance scroll down to the 5E3 6L6 Kit. Its called the Proluxe. I'm tickeledshitles that I came up with that name and Ted used it.

Oh well my 15 minutes of fame are up. :D

10. bscepter

bscepter Member

Well, considering his next kits are "V30," V50" (head) and "V15," I'd say there's a good chance you're going to have to sell off some gear... :D

11. e-flat

e-flat Member

I'm very curious about these kits as well. If Weber does put out an affordable Ac15 kit, I would be very tempted to give one a try. The JTM 45 looks tasty too. Ted Weber is a great guy, has always been very straight to me in past dealings, and makes awesome speakers. I'm glad to see that he is pushing forward with his biz!
    Judging from the layouts on his site, it seems like there are really good instructions/diagrams available for these kits. I wonder if someone of my modest soldering skill (decent, but not stellar) and with no amp building experience could take a crack at one of these?

12. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

After seeing up close and personal what a buddy of mine went through building an 18W TMB, I'd have to say you get what you pay for.....:(

13. s_brink

s_brink Member

Those look really intriguing.

Is there somewhere I can look for some model number to more common Fender model name conversion for some of the kits? Kind of a Fender novice.

14. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Would you care to comment more on this? I'm just curious if it was a matter of the components being lower quality than other (more expensive) kits or just that it was a difficult amp to build.

15. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'm asking taht same question re: skill level. I can solder pretty good and follow instructions well. But, I've never built an amp kit before. I think I could do it.

What kind of instructions do you get with the Weber kits, or do you pretty much just go by the layout and schematic?

16. bscepter

bscepter Member

No instructions at all, from what I understand. He rates his kits for build difficulty, so have a look. I'm about where you are (I've built a germanium boost pedal, but that's it), so I'm shying away from the Marshalls. I'm going to start with a simple Fender Champ-style amp.

17. fullerplast

To be very brief about it, part quality, quality control (i.e. does part A really fit into Hole B?), and functionality (i.e. if one follows the schematic and layout precisely with no errors, will this really work?) were all issues. PM me for more specifics if you want.

Nothing against Ted, I use his speakers and other products. Just an honest observation. In all likelyhood, things have improved.

18. DAB

DAB Member

I'm no expert but here is some info that I think is correct. I would encourage the really knowledgeable folks to step in here and correct me is needed.

5C1 and 5F1 are the Fender Champ (5f1 is the tweed I think)

5E3 is the tweed deluxe

5c3 is the wide panel tweed deluxe

5c5 and 5e5 are wide panel tweed pro

5e7 is the tweed bandmaster

5e8 is the tweed twin

5f4 is the tweed super

5f6 is the tweed bassman

Don't know about the rest.

DAB

19. fullerplast

Suggested layout and schematic only. Not all amps have necessarily been built and tested. Probably not the best kits for a beginner unless you have (or want to get) some debug skills. Some circuitry may need to be modified along the way.

20. memphisrain

memphisrain Member

e-flat,

I built the JTM 45 kit without any prior amp knowledge and very poor soldering skills. Just take your time, and follow the layout exactly. Then after you think you've got it, check it at least twice with a break in between checks. Oh and don't stick your hands in the damned thing when its on either. It'll make a believer out of you!!

s_brink,

Try this place. Click on Fender amps.

Schematic Heaven

mR