New Macs and Pro Tools

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by holyears, Feb 10, 2006.

1. holyears

holyears Member

Has anyone heard any news about when Pro Tools is planning on releasing an update so that it will be compatible with the new Intel Macs. I was going to ask the reps at their NAMM booth, but I got distracted by about 5 million other amazing things to see.

2. amper

amper Member

From http://www.digidesign.com/

Compatibility Alert — New Apple Intel Models

Pro Tools (HD, LE and M-Powered) is not currently compatible with the new Apple iMac and MacBook Pro computers with Intel Core Duo processors
    Pro Tools is not a universal binary
    Digidesign currently does not have a release date for the Pro Tools update that will be needed for compatibility with these Apple Intel based computers

3. warren0728

warren0728 Member

adobe announced they have no plans to support the intel machines until sometime in 2007....

ww

4. holyears

holyears Member

I know that these computers were released a little sooner than expected, but it seems like these companies were caught off-gaurd. I wonder if they were listening when Jobs made the announcement last year.

5. elambo

elambo Member

I've heard separate rumors of ProTools compatibility - one said two months, one said a year. I've also heard others in between. Who knows... Steve Jobs boasted about how easy it is to port software into Intel compatibility, but it's taking this long??? I hadn't heard that one about Adobe taking over a year to get it done. That's gonna hurt Intel Mac sales. Macs are known as media machines (audio and video processing) and the major players seem to be in no hurry to catch up.

-or-

The major video editing software is made by the company that owns Digidesign (Avid) and the major audio production software is made by Digidesign. But now there's Final Cut Pro (made by Apple) which is taking over a huge chunk of Avid's market, and if ProTools is going to take long to be Intel-ready, Apple's audio software might just have a major advantage in taking over ProTools' market.

Something tells me that Apple is in no hurry to get Avid, Digidesign, OR Adobe (Apple makes competing software for Adobe as well) caught up.

6. holyears

holyears Member

Very interesting thoughts elambo.
    Could be that Apple is giving their own software a little nudge in the marketplace. I'm true to Pro tools though and would wait it out over jumping over to Logic impatiently (especially after having invested in the Digidesign hardware!).

7. d7music

d7music Member

I have a little studio with a Digi002 and Pro Tools 7 LE, but I just bought Logic and I plan to use both! I was considering purchasing the additional 16 tracks for Pro Tools LE, but then I saw what Logic offered... 255 stereo tracks... and the Guitar Amp Pro plug-in... and the Sculpture soft synth...
    My singer also is in need of a new Mac laptop soon and plans on buying the Intel Mac Book Pro. Pro Tools wasn't going to work for him anymore for a while...
    I also recently upgraded from my PowerMac G4 to a Dual Core G5. Logic will let me use the processor on my G4 in addition to my G5.
    I had to buy Logic... it is saving me money!!! :)

8. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

And you'd be wise to wait. :)

I bleed Mac, but I'm not a fan of Logic...not even a little bit.

9. holyears

holyears Member

Funny Story @ Logic -
    I went to the Apple Mecca at NAMM and was really interested in checking out Logic. I went over to the huge console where a rep was about to show off what Logic could do and just as the cursor was about to reach the point where the whole band leaps in in all of their megalo-multi-track glory...it froze...the rep tried to make some adjustments...it froze again...the rep was truly embarassed & frustrated
    (to his credit: It was the last day of NAMM and he said, in the midst of his frustration, that it hadn't frozen up at all on all the previous days of the show), but by this time I, along with the other people who were there for the display, were embarassed for him, and quietly slipped away from the awkward situation.
    Thus...I've never really had any experience with, or exposure to Logic...maybe next year.

10. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

i'm just getting ready to dump my powerbook and buy a macbook. But if I can't do PT sessions I'm screwed. And the longer I wait to sell my laptop, the more it depreciates.

Get your ass moving Digidesign!

11. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I feel so old with a G4 350 running a ProTools Mix system. I'm on PT version 5.3 I think. My motto, if it ain't broke, I ain't touching it! lol

12. onemind

onemind Member

From the digidesign website...

Digidesign currently anticipates that in May 2006 it will release versions of Digidesign® Pro Tools LE™ 7 and Pro Tools M-Powered™ 7 software that are compatible with the new Intel-based MacBook Pro and iMac computers. These new versions of Pro Tools® software will enable customers to combine the improved processing power of Intel-based Mac computers with the creative power of Pro Tools.

13. Orren

Orren Member

And my 2.0 GHz MacBook Pro ships in early March... :)

(I'm a Logic guy, and Logic for Intel Macs is already available).

Orren

14. holyears

holyears Member

Oh yes, believe me, I know. I've had more crashes with Pro Tools (and basically most other programs and one time or another) then I can even remember, but in the NAMM setting, where everyone's trying to put their best foot forward, it was funny. The timing and environment made it comical...guess you just had to be there.

And Orren - thanks for the update!
    Those new Macs seem awesome (especially those new Quad-processors). Now I just hope that Digidesign doesn't charge and arm-and-a-leg for the upgrade! I noticed that you have to buy the upgrade for Logic. I guess after you drop a couple K on a new computer, it doesn't hurt to pay $50-100 more to make sure that your software will be compatible with it.