New Mark Campellone Build!

duaneallen

Silver Supporting Member
That's a beauty, no one does better sunbursts than Mark! I sometimes wish I hadn't gone blonde on mine!

Congratulations, hope you enjoy that guitar as much as I do!

i-47XQs67-X3.jpg

i-cKjZfVH-X2.jpg
Stunning!

duaneallen

Silver Supporting Member
Hey Duane, looks awesome and really enjoy your playing. Could you share who else you were considering and why you chose to go with Mark?
Hey, thanks for the kind words! There are many great builders out there right now, but Mark was always on my radar because he is considered one of the best for getting closest to the classic Gibson archtop sound. I don't have access to try most of the builders out there, but I was able to try a Campellone in person through my friend Frank Potenza. I was blown away by it, and it was exactly what I was looking for. To be honest, another major reason is because Mark's prices are very reasonable as well. I am a professional musician, so I can't spend an exorbitant amount on a custom guitar. I believe that Mark makes guitars for players, not just wealthy collectors.

bluejaybill

Silver Supporting Member
Looks great! Can I ask what scale length and width you chose? And is the Lollar a regular or lower wind?

duaneallen

Silver Supporting Member
Looks great! Can I ask what scale length and width you chose? And is the Lollar a regular or lower wind?
I believe that scale length is 25.5 and the width is 1 11/16th. I asked him to spec it as close to an L5CES as possible.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Hey, thanks for the kind words! There are many great builders out there right now, but Mark was always on my radar because he is considered one of the best for getting closest to the classic Gibson archtop sound. I don't have access to try most of the builders out there, but I was able to try a Campellone in person through my friend Frank Potenza. I was blown away by it, and it was exactly what I was looking for. To be honest, another major reason is because Mark's prices are very reasonable as well. I am a professional musician, so I can't spend an exorbitant amount on a custom guitar. I believe that Mark makes guitars for players, not just wealthy collectors.
I would agree with that. Mark and Jim Triggs are the two builders who really get close to the old Gibson archtops.

Of course, Jim used to run Gibson's custom shop in the 90s.

I met Mark at a guitar show a decade ago or so. Simply stunning instruments and he was a very nice guy. Yours looks fabulous. I hope you put up a clip of your playing it once it arrivves.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Looks and sounds great. I assume regular round wound strings? I think I would have to go flat wound which is what I'm running on my '49 ES-125 right now. I've wanted to pick up one of his guitars for a long time, this thread isn't helping.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom