New Marshall Heads. Can They Compete with Boutique Heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redplexi, Feb 3, 2006.

1. redplexi

redplexi Member

Is Marshall making a Head that can compete with the Boutique Amps?

2. doctord02

doctord02 Member

define what features you wanna go toe to toe on; their hand wired vintage repro stuff is as good as anybodys, but you'll pay as much as boutique. If you are talking about their channel switcher stuff I have no experience...

*edit* for my money, I'd look hard at Germino for the vintage vibe...

3. redplexi

redplexi Member

More So there Channel Switching Higher Gain amps. I have Plexis, and swear by them. I was just curious if they had a Line out to Compete with the Bogners, VHT, Diezel, etc.

4. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

In a word.. NO. Not even close. Of course this is just my opinion but I personally don't care for any of the modern Marshall channel switching amplifiers. The only one I felt was even slightly redeeming was the 6100. But that's about it. IMHO

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

The new 1959HW is killer and I've had 3 Germinos, a Blockhead, a Roccaforte, and many others. Amazing tone, low noise, and the build quality is stellar.

If Marshall decides to use the HW format for a killer channel switcher, count me in!

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely! But, I'm glad they are getting back to some high quality gear. I A/B'd the 1959HW against a mint 1967 Plexi and we were amazed at how incredibly similar they were. My friend thought that my head acutally sounded a bit better.

7. Thelonius

Thelonius Member

"if it wasnt for all the "boutique" amps out there marshall would not be doing what they are doing now with the hw series"

And if there weren't a Mashall there wouldn't be much of a boutique market.

Chicken and Egg.

I'm not really suggesting there would be no boutique market without Marshall. But "the Marshall sound" and "the Fender sound" are practically the basic building blocks of amp sound. More than a fair number of those boutique makers are either striving for the sound of some hard to obtain vintage Marshall or improving in some way on their favorite Marshall. It is a bit silly to suggest that Marshall can't compete with a market of clones, tributes, revisions, and tweaks.

8. Badger71

Badger71 Member

IMO, Marshall never needed to compete with the boutique companies. They just needed to make their quality control better to redeem their name. Musicians want a quality product for their dollar, and Marshall for the longest time wasn't giving up the goods. In swooped the boutique small shop companies, and they've slowly but surely wittled away at Marshall's bottom line. I think they've realized, albeit maybe too late, that build quality has become equivalent to tone in the eyes of many musicians. These HW series are an attempt to gain back that market....a market willing to shell out over 2k for build quality AND tone.

9. Pearly Grapes

Pearly Grapes Member

Absolutely!
    I've personally tested the 1974x & the 2061x & feel they can definitley hold their own against the boutiques. I even bought the 2061x, even tho' I didn't really need it. It's definitley one of my best sounding amps.:AOK

And from what I hear/read, the higher watt reissue Marshalls are also great.

PG

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I think the title of this thread should have read

"Can Marshall make new amps that compete with or live up to the amps they used to make?"

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I personally think the Marshall DSL series are killer and I've owned/heard a few boutique amps in my day. Take that for what it's worth.

12. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Yes in the handwired series. My 2061x is second only to my Z. And it's a fine fine line....

Now the DSL I had, utter shite.

13. big mike

Ah yes...the lust list...that does change daily.
    I've partaken of many..only a few were allowed to come home. :D

14. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Wow. It's real easy to make a DSL sound killer...

15. big mike

Different strokes I guess. I could never dial the harshness out of it.

16. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

About a month ago I bought a DSL for the classic rock band I play in. It is not in the same league as most of the boutique stuff I own or have owned. However it is a great sounding and feeling amp, and a great value used.

I am running it through an Avatar 2x12 with V30s. I would be curious for the people who hate the DSL to know which cabinets they tried with it ?

17. big mike

V30 loaded 4x12...open back 2x12 with G12T75's...can't remember what else. Really,, I've become a single channel, non MV kinda guy.

I've been fortunate to own some great amps, several marshalls, and have played stuff I never thought possible. 2 rocks, Komets, etc etc.

I'm still REALLY happy with the stuff I have now. None of what I've tried works as well for me as the three amps in my harem.2 Marshall designs.

18. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

Me too really. Just find it tough to get decent tone out of a non MV 50 Watt Marshall type amp in the venues we play. Not a fan of attuenators and I find the 18 watters plenty loud but too small sounding with a three piece.

The other band I play in I mainly use a Reinhardt 18 watt.

I figured the G12T75s would come up with the DSL. I can imagine that is a harsh sounding combination.

19. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Yeah, the HW amps are in there with the boutiques. Better or at least equal to SOME of the originals. Old Marshalls are all so different from one another you have to make comparisons one at a time. They used whatever parts they had in the parts bin to build the amps up to about 1969.

Having said that, I really love my Germinos. Have to put in a plug for one of the best plexi boutique builders in the US IMO...