New Marshall pedals!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jezzzz2003, Dec 20, 2005.

1. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Hi everybody.....
    I have recieved the new Marshall pedals.
    I havent seen them anywhere yet, not even the Marshall website.
    I was shipped some from our australian Marshall distributor.:dude
    There is the reflector reverb pedal, the regenerator modulation pedal and a delay too.
    These pedals are cheap and sound good, i liked the reflector alot better than the boss RV-5.
    There is also 6 different reverb types built in.
    Its a welcome addition to my reverbless rig.

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

3. seanc

seanc Member

those marshall pedals are built like a brick **** house.

wouldnt mind that delay either.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have a couple...the VT-1 (tremolo...vibrato "vibe") (LOVE it) and the ED-1 Ed the Compressor (also a keeper).

The only shame about these pedals....the damned silver knobs. The are the absolute WORST, and if the pedals didn't sound so damn good, they would be a show-stopper for me buying them.

Why aren't they listening? When the light shines (you know...kinda like what happens when you're...oh I don't know...ON A ******* STAGE!!) on them the "right" way it is virtually impossible to see where they are set. They at the very least could have had a "dimple" or carved a big triangle on the tops...it is just incredible to me that they make these this way.

Only other small gripe is, on a pedal board you almost HAVE to have their pedal in the first row (or if you have one with a back shelf it will work okay) as the curved top of the pedal and position of the footswitch make it really hard to hit if you have "normal" style pedals in front of it.

But the silver knobs are just nuts. I have an MTS3212 with almost the same knobs (but these have a dimple at least, so it is possible to see, with squinting) so you can imagine all the fun I have wondering where my pedals AND amp are set :)

5. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I've got a GV-2, a BB-2, and a VT-1. I recently scored a ED-1 and need to go pick it up at the mailroom at work today. I like their stuff. I saw the new pedals show up on the web site last week.:AOK

Looking for a Supervibe (looks like they're discontinued) to finish out my board. Want it for the rotary speaker tone it can do. Wondering if the Regenerator will do that.

6. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

I have de BB-2 and the discontinued MIEngland Shredmaster wich I think is the most marshall-in-a-box

7. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

|The Ed is an awesome compressor with a tele! Really great!

Bob:BEER

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think there is some real snobbery somtimes happening with butique pedals...and even though I think this, I get susceptible to them.

I listed my complaints (main one really is the damned knobs, not being able to see their settings) though as I mentioned the pedal's sound quality, and their features are well thought out, and excellent.

But I mentioned to, so far both of my Marshall pedals are as good as anything I've tried...I have a Barber Tone Press, but I gravitate back the the ED-1. I have or have had a supa-trem, demeter tremulator, Nobels TR-x trem, and made (at the time this was the best) a BYOC Trem clone.
    The VT-1 has 'em all beat as far as I'm concerned.

It really is weird...I know the feeling, we musicians like our own weird one-of-a-kind boxes and tweaks, and therefore we always kinda hope to get some new sound. We, almost all of us, are generous in that we share with the rest any great finds (and that really is cool!), but I think we all have a tendancy to dismiss mass-produced, manufactured pedals.

We get kinda snobby. I do it to, but I had to see...for one thing, the "pros" do screw up sometimes, but they at least have usually hired engineers, they cut costs (there also, we get sucked into the butique sometimes on that...and sometimes rightfully so, but still...sometimes some butique also scrimp on parts costs and even technique) and they mass produce which should at least in theory make sure all of a run of pedals sound pretty much alike.

Don't know why I'm ranting, just realizing, I like the quality and the sound, and the features (except the damned knobs) of Marshall pedals. I ought to ues my head and audition a few more of them.

Boss makes some damn good pedals too. Some not so good...the GE-7 I really don't understand, they screwed up that one royally with the noise everyone knows about...and it is a cheap fix too. But generally, the big names are too often looked down on and overlooked.

9. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

When do these new pedals hit the USA? I am getting close to getting either Boss or EHX pedals next and these look interesting.

I

10. ABKB

ABKB Member

I will +1 with you on all that StompBoxBlues. When I went shopping for a Chorus, checked out everything I could get my hands on and it was no contest, the Marshall was the BEST to my ears anyway, for like 2/3 of the price of even Boss. Would not hesitate to check out any Marshall pedal including the new ones. Would love to hear any reviews of the new ones as well. I am also with you on the knobs :confused: of them things. Impossible to see onstage (or even offstage) and the led light is SO teeny you gotta squint and stand right over it to even see if it's on. Poor design, but GREAT sounding stuff.

11. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I got caught up in the boutique thing too. It kept me from even trying non-boutique stuff. Now that I'm over that I've built up a pedal board that works well for me - for relatively little money too. These Marshall pedals go cheap on ebay and classifid sections of various places on the web. :AOK

I used to sell MArshall directly from the factory back in the late 80's. My contact there was Ken Bran. I used to see the labs and the test rigs. Those folks really do listen to stuff and strive to put out a decent product. I guess I forgot about that after hanging around on BBS's here in the Internet age.

12. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

Has anyone had a chance to try the delay yet? I have a VibraTrem, and for around $40 used it's a hell of a pedal. I've been trying to turn people around here on to these pedals for some time with pretty limited success.

13. ABKB

ABKB Member

How is that Vibratrem? Been thinking about one of them as it could replace my trem pedal I have now, but would only be interested if it did the vibe thing good as well.

14. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

I've found it to be perfect for my needs. It's versatile, and sounds great, not to mention great construction and true bypass. That being said, for the most part I don't get too wrapped up in trying to precisely recreate the sounds of vintage vibes and trems. I think the Vibratrem has some great vintage sounds, i.e. it would sound great in a classic rock band, but as far as getting THE tone of a specific trem or vibe, I just don't know.

15. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I definitely agree with you there!!

16. backwater

backwater Member

I am interested in the Echohead to go on my pedal board. I own a Supervibe and in the past have used the Bluesbreaker II and Bluesbreaker I.

I'm sure these are some of the most indestructable pedals going! :dude

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just so you know...the "vibe" is ONLY a true vibrato, meaning it "quavers" the not (takes it above and below the "real" note...I think that is a quaver but could be wrong) but it is really pretty cool in my opinion. If you know Hendrixes' "Land of the New Rising Sun" it does THAT.

The tremolo, in my limited experience (see my post above. I have tried a number, but not by any means all of the butique trems) is about the most user friendly and versatile, though I have no interest in the "helicoptering" kind of trem sound. I play blues mostly, and like a good "swamp trem" and smooth transitions, I like musical tremolos (and to me the Fulltone Supa-Trem and the Demeter were NOT that...the Nobels TR-X could get it, but had too many knobs and settings...some pedals I like lots of options, in a trem I like simplicity but also variety) and I like trems to be easy to set. This does it!

One word of warning, I first found out for myself, then read on HC User Reviews the same conclusion, that when run on batteries the Trem is way too laid back, not pronounced, but with a power supply giving it the 9 v. it really sounds great. It is intuitive, and I love that you can shape the wave with a knob instead of having to choose between two distinct waves (square and sine).

If you are interested, you really ought to check it out. That is another plus with mass-produced pedals like these, you can ALWAYS find a music store with one in stock to try out. It's only hit and miss with butique pedals.

Just to be clear, I am definitely NOT down on butique, I frankly just want the best pedal for my money, sometimes butique IS way better (I have high hopes for my newly ordered Zendrive and MI Blues Pro...and love my Visual Sound pedals, and Mojo Vibe) and I think it is just as silly to ignore great pedals because they are mass-produced as it is to ignore great butique pedals.

Try one out (Vt-1) and let us know what you think!

18. carltonh

carltonh Member

For whatever reason, the Marshall website with pedal info doesn't work on Firefox 1.5, but seems to work when I open it in Internet Explorer.

19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Sorry, I meant to add when I said "is only a true vibrato" that I mean that as opposed to the most "vibes" where it is the chorus-vibe part that most of us are after.

20. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Not to rain on someone's parade, but the Marshall pedals are not true bypass - they all have the same "output switching only" system as MXR/Dunlop et al. The main input is permanently wired to the effect input, and the switch only selects which signal (the direct or effected) to send to the output jack.

I tried the Vibratrem out when I was shopping for a tremolo, and ended up not buying it, mostly because of the knob situation. I used it on one gig, and while I liked the sound a lot, not being able to see how the knobs are set without kneeling down right over the pedal sort of spoiled it for me... :)

/Andreas