1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

New materials for scales, arpeggio's, chords and tunes

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Gasp100, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Tunes: I guess I need a Real Book to start picking out standards to learn, practice and improvise over. But is there any recommended book(s) for learning rock/pop tunes that I could use once I get my reading down? I frequently get in situations where I'm playing guitar (sometimes acoustic) and although I'm playing some cool stuff, we don't have anything to jam on or people ask me to play songs and it's hard to just pull stuff out of thin air. What do you guys use?

Scales, Chords, Arpeggio's:
    Anyone use this book before - Guitar Fretboard Workbook by Barrett Tagliarino
    http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Fretbo...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199913657&sr=1-1
    It looks like this might use the CAGED system by reading through the table of contents

2. mrdavek

mrdavek Member

I got Guitar Fretboard Workbook by Barrett Tagliarino for x-mas

Highly recommended!!!

3. Gasp100

Awesome... I have some good materials for practice on the way from Amazon, can't wait - Thanks for the reply.

4. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

I use it with all of my students...I think its a great book...I even have a link to it from the CAGED system lesson on my site..

5. Gasp100

Thanks Mark. I've been checking out your site bigtime. I have to dig in a bit deeper, but I'm pulling all of these resources together so I'm going to have a ton of material to work on very soon. My Tomo DVD Accelerate Your Guitar Playing came in the mail today and I'm really digging the great chromatic warm up exercises... humbling.

6. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

Thank you!

I have seen mention of the Tomo materials several times around here and people really seem to dig it...can you give me a link? Its something I haven't heard of before and I'm curious...we're always looking for new stuff to either stock in the studio or use with the students....

7. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thanks for mentioning my AYGP dvd. It's 10th anniversary (in Japan) this year!!!!! Please work on those chromatics... with really slow tempo. Slower you practice you will get something... later.

Tomo

8. Gasp100

I will Tomo, picking up a metronome today (I've been using a web-based one but I need something to carry around the house).

Mark, here is the link from Amazon for AYGP:
    http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Ele...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1200062628&sr=8-2

I believe Tomo might have newer materials out that I will be sure to check out as well once I get through AYGP. I would PM Tomo directly for more information about the materials he has available. Check out his links in his signature above for more information as well.

9. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

It's best to order from Tomo himself. You get extra lesson material that way and I got some business cards and Tomo picks as well!

10. Mark Wein

Mark Wein Member

Thanks!