New Mayer Album and his new gear!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by whaiyun, May 28, 2013.

1. Anaritacardoso

Anaritacardoso Member

Just the audio from Waiting on the day

2. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Not as keen on this tune...

3. MikeDojcsak

MikeDojcsak Member

Amazing.

4. Me Again

Me Again Member

Someone wa-a-ay back on this thread said

"I don't think there's anyone else out there with the entire package quite like Mayer."

And I couldn't have said it better. Pretty much every hater comment on here seems to evaluate him on one single aspect of his playing -- and pretty misguidedly, I think -- when there are so many other deep and broad aspects to his songwriting, playing, lyrics, diversity, dynamics, subtleties, etc. that i guess they just don't get. That's OK; it's music, it's art and it's all subjective. But man, the guy has it all, and he's one of VERY few artists today that I'll buy a CD from, sight unseen and not having heard a single note in advance.

5. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I like it, dylan/neil young vibe, but is this the final album version? seems less produced than I would have expected, sounds more like a well done demo to me.

6. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

I like it for those reasons too. I hope it is the final version. I like the feel of it

7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Interesting, a co-worker just walked in while I was listening to it and said it sounds like a Robert Earl Keen song. :)

8. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

It is apparently cut live with him, Sean Hurley on bass and Aaron Sterling on drums, there is a video floating around of it.

9. Anaritacardoso

Anaritacardoso Member

10. Ladhilbluesband

Ladhilbluesband Member

That's been my conditioned response for a long long time but it gets glazed over haha.

That's an interesting thought on the record, I think Mayer and Incubus are the two artists I'll buy without hearing a single note. Sad part is, Incubus failed me on the last record.

I don't care for waiting on the day, the lyrics are wonderful but the music is just....boring.

11. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Member

I've "known" about Mayer since around '99 or so. Living near Greenville SC my whole life we've always had a three day festival in the area called Freedom Weekend Aloft. I remember hearing his name on the radio then saying he way playing there, since it's the time he was in ATL.

He hasn't disappointed me yet. Sure, was he a douche for awhile? Yup. When I met him he was pretty chill. Super huge noggin' though. But he's got it all. I think it's awesome how he manipulated the system.

He used it to get big, then used it to push HIS style (relative term) and music. Pretty savy.

12. Santelope

Santelope Member

Personally I can't wait till he brings back The Grateful Dead's music!:hideck

13. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I dont disagree, but I think it allows the lyrics to shine, and I connect with the lyrics on that track.

Also, I doubt this will be the final album version, I think it might end up with some more instrumentation, although I dont think it needs it, I think the simplicity is right for the song, even if it lacks some complexity, I think that allows the song to stand on its own for its lyrical content.

I have liked both Paper Doll (it is infectious) and Waiting on the Day, but I agree with others that the album will need some more upbeat energetic numbers, but I expect that will come.

All him albums have been pretty dynamic in that regard, and I dont see why this one will be different.

14. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Born and Raised only had one upbeat number and, IMO, it sounded out of place. I loved the song, "Something Like Olivia", but wouldn't be surprised if John didn't do many uptempo tunes on this record.

I am digging the vibe, but not the harp. I don't like harmonica on Dylan albums, either. I just don't usually like the sound. I like the way John is giving attention to honing his lyrics, but I have mostly enjoyed his lyrics through the years anyways.

15. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

The Paper Doll riff is stuck in my head!

So is the prancercize lady hahaha

16. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Agree.

All the public things he's done were self calculated moves to get his name/brand trending, not done out of stupidity or immaturity. He must laugh out loud as he pulls the consumer puppet strings.

Look at "Paper Doll" video, truly marketing101, he knew it would trend in a big way, but in doing so, he diminished the song.

17. KennethC

KennethC Member

My sentiments exactly. I actually prefer this recording of Waiting On The Day, which is simpler:

Love the lyrics on this tune as well. The updated studio recording somehow feels different to me, and I find it less interesting.

John's music has never disappointed me, and I'm really eager to see how his lyrical abilities have improved in the new album. Def one of, if not my fave pop/rock musician.

Love the Paper Doll riff and melodies, and the lyrics are pretty humorous when taken in context of the possible purpose/meaning of the song. But if it really is meant to chide and poke fun at a certain ex-gf, then it's "cheap songwriting" on both ends of the stick.

18. vashuba

vashuba Supporting Member

^^ Who ever thought "the Wonderland guy" would be ripping blues guitar at the Crossroads Festival

19. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Actually I think everyone who knew about him in the beginning thought it would come to that. I've got a few bootlegs from 99-01 where he is playing electric on and just killing it!

20. Tomo

Tomo Member

His case, no need to receive any freebies... he buys stuff if he is interested in..

Tomo