New Mayer Album and his new gear!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by whaiyun, May 28, 2013.

1. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

i love me some john mayer. continuum is one of my desert island albums. and there are some great songs on his past two albums... but i really hope we get to hear some more electric guitar... and some more solos... and some more eye-opening playing this time around. there isn't enough of it out there on mainstream pop radio these days... he's basically carrying the torch.

2. kasperjensen

kasperjensen Member

It's nice to see someone as talented as him, achieve the success he deserves.

And then to be able to go nuts on gear... Yes, sir. Well done, JM.

3. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Guys in their 50s hating on John Mayer today is like people who were born in 1925 hating on Physical Graffiti. The math is the same.

4. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Member

Be still my beating heart.

:sarcasm

5. KennethC

KennethC Member

:aok

6. Don L

Don L Member

what's the story/detail on that sunburst strat?

7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Not sure the exact details, but I am pretty sure it is vintage and not a relic.

8. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

I thought that was a JM sig strat #1

9. neastguy

neastguy Member

he sounds great on those clips.. playing guitar .... still don't like his singing and I have a hard time watching him, looks fake to me.. hope you don't take this as hating.. just the way it is.. will continue to try though...

10. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Senior Member

The fact that people like him shows how far the bar has dropped in contemporary music. He's so derivative, but yet a talented guitarist. His first EP and album were inspired and distinguished him from everybody else, then he abandoned it and went all SRV, as if we didn't have enough dudes in SRV hats and ponchos doing that in sports bars already. Now he's mining 70's soft rock as if we hadn't done that in the 70's already.

Hope this helps.

11. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

The sunburst is off or different than the signature, and the sig is poly coated, I would doubt he would get that kind of wear. But I could be wrong.

[​IMG]

This is the signature:

[​IMG]

Actually, now that I look again, it could be the same guitar, but I would be surprised he could get that distress naturally.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  12. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Honestly? It helps demonstrate that you are not all that familiar with his recorded output, to say that Heavier things, Continuum, Battle Studies, and Born and Raised sound like SRV albums demonstrates you have not listened to them, and are likely just repeating things you have heard about him.

Just my opinion, but John is not a "lowering of the bar" I wish we had more people like him, willing to try new things on every album.

13. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

Derivative? Everyone is derivative. With that said, I don't know too many guys that combine Hendrix/SRV style playing with Charlie Hunter/Tomo funk grooves the way John does. Isn't that kinda the whole point of this game? Melding your influences into your own style?

14. parker

parker Member

Actually, it doesn't help...

15. 909one

909one Member

He's a good songwriter and great player but I don't care for his aesthetic at all.
    He's tone and playing are too smooth and too cautious for my tastes I guess. He's definitely carved out a niche for himself though, and I can respect that.
    Mostly, he seems overly narcissistic, especially apparent from all the interviews I have read of him. There's something about his attitude that just totally rubs me the wrong way, and I suspect that's why a lot of people dislike him. He's like the antithesis of being punk rock to me. For example, compare him to Derek Trucks. Two dudes with similar skills, sorta similar aesthetic, but Derek just is the real deal. He's humble. There's no infamous Playboy interviews, no dating Taylor Swift.

16. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Huh, seems to me that "infamous interviews" and "dating pop stars" are very "rock and roll" things to do. :)

17. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

not a fan of his hat, but that denim shirt with mother of pearl snaps is killer!

18. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

I do relieve that burst is his SRV signature he bought, and played the dog out of for years before he landed the endorsements. If you dig up pics from his first live DVD from Atlanta I believe the burst is the same an you can see the wear above the pick guard beginning. Add another decade and then some of regular playing (he's made many comments on why its one of his favorites) and you get the wear and burst.

The pick guard is usually what throws people off. He pulled it in favor of the tortoise shell, which his signature model then followed.

19. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

The worn strat is vintage (63 I think), not a signature

20. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Lord Baden-Powell is missing his hat.