New McCartney Songs

Steeltoe

Silver Supporting Member
I listened to the whole album this morning on Tidal. While it is impressive that he still writes, plays, produces, I was hoping to hear something with a bit more excitement and/or perhaps a sense of urgency.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
It is pretty hard these days to write anything that has not already been written before. I personally never liked Mac on his own nearly as much as the Beatbois. But he sounds a lot better than a lot of the older guys still trying to do it, (The Strolling Thrones). Gotta love his mic collection. It looked like he had a $30k U47 (or U48) on just about everything except the drums.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
Where did you see that?

I know what they look like., so just in the pictures of his recording studio. It is well known Abbey Road had about 25 of these mics and it only makes sense that Mac would get the same things.

blues bird

Gold Supporting Member
Listened to the whole album last friday. Was depressed all day afterwards. An old man with a shaky voice, fighting for the right pitch and only a shadow of his former self. Terrible and sad.

Makes me fear old age: The abilities fade, the judgment fades and either you no longer have anyone who advises you to better leave some things be (like here to release the album), or you are now in a state of mind that you think you do not have to listen to the voices of reason.

No one is immune from this. Frightening.

Last edited:

darkwaters

I gave it a listen and my initial reaction was that I was quite impressed and Paul hasn't impressed me in a long, long time. Voice a bit shakey? Meh. His playing is great, particularly his electric playing.

Jp2558

Too soon for me to pass judgment. I tend to listen a few times, and then come back a few months later with different ears. Some of his stuff sometimes takes several years before I realize I really like it. That's how I approach all music I've collected over the last half century.

bobcs71

Listened to the whole album last friday. Was depressed all day afterwards. An old man with a shaky voice, fighting for the right pitch and only a shadow of his former self. Terrible and sad.

Makes me fear old age: The abilities fade, the judgment fades and either you no longer have anyone who advises you to better leave some things be (like here to release the album), or you are now in a state of mind that you think you do not have to listen to the voices of reason.

No one is immune from this. Frightening.
I think Macca has endured better than most. I'll still listen to it all even though I what I heard isn't uh, his best.
IMO John Prine's last album was well written and appropriate for accepting his age.

At 49 I have started fading. o_O

Gms

Silver Supporting Member
Those songs were much more interesting than I expected. Good to hear him turning out songs like these.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member

What would be truly sad is if he just hung it up because he believed what you are writing.

Doesn't make me fear anything - the man has been putting it out there fearlessly since 2005's Chaos and Creation. His album prior to this 'Egyptian Station' was amazing - especially Dominoes. We are hearing McCartney Stream of Conscious now - and he's like most men
at 70+ - probably hoping that Death Takes a Holiday. I like it - he's going out kicking and screaming like my Grandfathers Passengers on his last trip.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom