1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

New Member and already asking questions!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Sherlin, May 20, 2011.

1. Sherlin

Sherlin Member

Hello,

My name is Andy. I live in Nashville, TN and have a strong admiration for guitars. I'm still learning to play, but I have a few axes to learn on.

A friend of mine recommended that I join here for education and comradery. I may be making a guitar purchase this evening from a friend. But I am concerned about the authenticity. It's a Gibson LP Classic Flame Top that he purchased from a local Music Store. He bought it used for $800 and after having it for 3 years is selling it to me for $500. He has plenty of guitars and said he'd take the low price point from a friend.

Here are the two pics that I have of it. I hope that it isn't a fake. The serial number registers as a Gibson 2000 series according to my friend.

Headstock

Body

Thanks for any input and I look forward to the community!

~Andy

2. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

need better photos....but that headstock shot makes me think it could be fake....

3. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi Andy,

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

4. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

Dude, this is the place for questions! :)
    Welcome to the Page!

5. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Hello Andy,

Welcome to The Gear Page!

6. BlaXander

BlaXander Member

7. Sherlin

Sherlin Member

Hey guys!

Well, I spent hours researching the dynamics of fake vs real Gibsons. So, last night I got to my friend's house to look at the Les Paul. It passed about 12 initial "tests" until I looked at the inside. Turns out it was a fake. Upon removing the back plate, the cut-out in the guitar was "clover" shaped instead of "diamond" shaped. Instant fake! Also, I removed the truss rod cover and the nut/bolt were hidden way down deep inside the neck. You couldn't even see them. A geniune Gibson has the nut/bolt right there in plain site. Turns out my friend's other Gibsons were fakes as well. One of them had square/rectangle inlays. Gibson strictly uses trapezoid inlays. And his other Les Paul had 3 screws on the truss rod cover. Gibsons exclusively use 2 screws (unlike Epiphone which uses 3).
    So there ya have it. Case solved! It was a nice guitar though. However, I obviously didn't buy it. My friend was really bummed that he'd been duped when he bought those guitars, but he was still satisfied with them as they all played very well. He's going to just hang on to them.

8. Ken I

Ken I Member

Welcome aboard Andy!

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member