New Member, Hi! Anyone playing through Accugroove cabs?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Troser, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Troser

Troser Member

Tim here, new member... I used to post years ago on HC and the Jackson/Charvel forums, in the early days. Not done much "posting" in the past five or so years, but I've got a few good friends who've highly reccomended the Gear Page, so I signed up. Howdy to all y'all!

Anyway, I'm kind of an "old school" guy, I guess you could say. I've had many amps and basses over the years, and keep coming back to the big Mesa tube stuff... as long as you have a big enough power section, you can keep the articulation tight, with all the brightness you need/want, and still get the tube warmth that solid state stuff can't match (in my opinion, of course!).

My current rig, which I've had in one configuration or another for quite a while now, is a Mesa Boogie Road Ready Bass 400+ with a current model Road Ready Powerhouse 1000 cab. I also have a compressor/limiter in the head shell, and generally employ that to some degree. I love my tone, and the Powerhouse 1000 cab is hard to beat; again, in my opinion... clarity on top, plenty of mid-range punch, and a whopping bottom end. Of course, the downside to the rig is the size and weight.

I've heard good things about these Accugroove El Whappo and El Whappo Jr. cabs; been thinking about trying one or a pair out, but haven't gotten my mitts on one yet. Anyone here playing through an Accugroove cab, and if so, have you compared it to a "big" cab like my Powerhouse? Is it going to be a compromise, sacrificing tone and fullness for weight, or can these smaller cabs really hang?

2. phatster

phatster Member

Welcome aboard Tim....I have the road ready 2-15 cabinet which I dearly love.I tried the el whoppo and thought it was a bit muddy however I couldn't really crank it...acyually I like my 1-18 gauss cabinet the best for LOW notes.The absolute LOWS I have ever heard were through the Bag End system...expensive but the best I've heard.Peace...:AOK

3. Troser

Troser Member

Yeah, I hear you. I played a Bass 400 through a 2-15" for years... That's the definitive rock bass tone. I lucked into a factory wicker-covered 2-15" cab and matching head in '87 or so, but ended up selling it years ago... I wonder where that stack is now? Probably still around the Portland, OR area... hard to miss with the twin old-school wicker grilles.

I've never been a fan of the 10" cabs on their own, but a pair of 15 's on their own simply rock

Bag End? I've seen them, but never tried them. Also, for the point of conversation, I think Accugroove also has an 18" cab that can compliment their El Whappo series, and add some deep rolling thunder. I'd like to get some more feedback on these.

4. Swampash

Swampash Member

Sorry I missed this...I don't check in on the section too often. :eek:

We have an El Wappo with a Thunderfunk head that we use at our church. The combination is very nice. We can't possibly use all of the volume it can offer, and the range of tones covers just about any kind of music I can think of. The tone-shaping section of the Thunderfunk lets you do ALL kinds of tweeks to get the sound *just* right.

Our bass players use anything from an upright bass to EB, to Fender, and a few others. A few moments dialing in the tone, and they're off to the races.

5. phatster

phatster Member

Now that IS one hip church! Pass the plate!!

6. _jmp

_jmp Member

i recently supplemented my SVTII / 810 with a thunderfunk / pair of Accugroove tri112Ls

i've played through an older el whappo, which is how i got interested in the Accugroove product...my short answer, a single el whappo will surprise you

my pair of tr112s hasn't left me wanting for the 810...especially when i can carry them one in each hand, ha...they put out serious lows and the low-mids are fantastic...a very uncolored cab, which opens up a lot of possible sounds via amp or instrument eq...i highly recommend Mark's products

7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

To be fair, there are really 2 different discussions going on here:

1. whether or not the Accugroove cabinets will sound comparable/favorable to a Powerhouse 1000?
    2. Will one or two of the smaller cabs reach the same SPL as the larger cab?

There are always tradeoffs involved in downsizing your rig...there's no free lunch here. None of the newer, lighter cabinets available today are going to sound like your Powerhouse 1000. They will sound very, very good...just different. The Accugroove cabinets sound wonderful IMHO, but they have a more "hi-fi" sound than any Mesa cab. The Schroeder cabinets also deliver incredible tone for a lightweight cab, but they're not designed to sound like mini SVT's. In other words, there are several choices out there based upon your specific tone and weight requirements, each with its own set of tradeoffs.

When I downsized my rig, I chose the Bergantino IP series (self powered stuff). It isn't the same as any of the massive rigs I've used in the past, but I've found creative ways to get the sounds I need to keep gigging (preamps, pedals, and basses...oh my!). The power, size, and weight of the Bergie stuff is simply amazing...pricey, but highly recommended!

Anyways, the choices available today are the best they've ever been so it's a good time to be a bass player.