New member looking for quick overdrive advice.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eric_K, May 9, 2008.

1. eric_K

eric_K Member

I realize this is a topic that's been hashed and rehashed here, but I'm interested in what you guys are thinking TODAY.

I play a Fender Strats with a S.D. Hotrails in the bridges into a Marshall JCM900 4100 100 watt half stack. I'm currently using an stock Boss SD-1 for overdrive. To my ears this current rig sounds OK, but I'm looking for a new overdrive pedal with better tone.

My band plays half original music and half covers and it's mostly hard rock and country-ish rock but no metal.

I'm on the waiting list for a King of Tone, but I need something NOW. Based on sound clips, user reviews, etc; I've narrowed my choices to a Fulltone OCD or Fulldrive, A Keeley Modified SD-1 or Blues Driver, or an Analogman Boss SD1/808. I'd like to spend less than $200.

As I said, I realize this has been discussed at length here before, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

What I am thinking TODAY is about the same as I was thinking yesterday.:dude

3. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

You've got to start somewhere. You really can't go wrong with any of those, so you should just draw straws or something and pick one. Once you've used it for a while you'll have an idea exactly what you want.

I would probably go with the OCD or a Barber Direct Drive. None of the ones you listed are a bad choice though. They are all great pedals in their own right.

D

4. Rock72

Rock72 Member

As the previous poster stated, the Barber Direct Drive is a great choice with excellent tone shaping possibilities suiting the needs you described at a GOOD price!!!

5. poimenmfm

poimenmfm Member

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have a lot of OD's and personally...after just recently getting an OCD, I think that would be the absolute best, and most value for money (bang for buck) you could get.

It's REALLY nice. Not Metal, but exactly for what you describe.

7. reo73

reo73 Member

Another vote for the OCD. Just a great sounding pedal that stays very articulate. I got mine during the run of the first version. I use it as my main OD generator for anything from bluesy tones to hard rock and have no plan of ever selling it.

8. dave s

dave s Member

good suggestions so far. OR ... drop about $80-90 on an MI Audio Crunch Box. Should be one floatin' about the emporium today.

dave

9. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

The MI Blue Boy Deluxe is more like an overdrive. You will notice some frequencies that were missing from your Boss, and won't break the bank.

10. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I think an OCD was my first venture into ODs beyond the stock Boss and TS9 stuff. Definitely a good place to start.

11. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

The OCD ain't a bad place for a guy to start.

12. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

If you want versatility, get a used ZIM for around $200. You won't believe it until you try it.

13. iggs

iggs Member

Quick overdrive advice? Geez ... would you like fries with that??? :D

As you already have a mid-high gain amp, I would suggest something that will just add "more" instead of having loads of gain on it's own.

Xotic RC is a great low-gain OD pedal and the only one that worked with my old VHT 50CL that already had plenty of gain. Everything else sounded like mush through it.

14. amphead777

amphead777 Member

The Barber Direct Drive is a great versatile pedal. It was my first "boutique" OD.

15. mondo_generator

mondo_generator Member

check out the Zenith for $225, must be the most versatile overdrive I ever used.

16. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Addrock Not So Ol Yeller. Done.

17. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

+1 What Rock72 said

Dave Barber's stuff kicks booty and is priced great!:eek:

Check it out here

http://www.barberelectronics.com/about.html

18. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

I love my Eternity but a very nice OD with a lot of flexibility is the NOC3 Effects Firefly. Nick builds them and is a member here. Do a search and check out Zucker's video of it...

19. eric_K

eric_K Member

Hey guys! Thanks for all the good advice - it's very much appreciated. I'm expecting my Barber Direct Drive by the end of the week. I've also convinced (sweet talked / conned) the accounting dept (the Mrs.) into setting aside another $200 or so for another O.D. sometime in the next couple weeks. :) The band I'm in usually plays 3 sets of 50 minutes each over the course of a gig, and I tend to get bored of hearing the same sound come out of my amp all night. A couple quality O.D.s on my board (and a BUNCH of others) will "break things up" nicely.

And why again would someone opt for a rackmounted digital effects processor or a modeling amp???

Reading through these pages, I've come to the realization that my taste in gear is sadly unrefined; and for now I'll have more little to offer here than a series of stale questions - but this is a great forum, and I plan to stick around. Thanks again! :AOK

20. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I have to vote for the Fulldrive 2 Mosfet. Extremely versatile pedal with a nice set of options available simply by moving the two toggle switches.
    Toggle one gives you the Vintage Tubescreamer sound/ Flat Mids more modern sound/ or Compressor Cut cleanish boost for those Mark Knoffler tones.. Toggle two lets you select between Standard and a creamier Mosfet setting. For the money (around $150 or so) it would be hard to have more excellent tonal options at your footstep. I dig my OCD as well but it doesn't have the versatility of the FD2 which is valuable to someone just getting into higher end pedals. The good news is that any of the pedals you listed are great choices so whatever you get, I'm sure you will be happy with.:dude