new member, new guitar!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dryicekills, May 20, 2008.

1. dryicekills

dryicekills Member

ive been lurking these forums for a week, and now i have a reason to post in them. today, i bought a vintage mahogany les paul in the darker finish. it is the best investment i have made in a good while. i played a few and found the one that sat best with me. QC is definitely an issue with this model guitar, but given the right one, its DEFINITELY worth every penny.

2. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to the board! Show us some pics when you can. Don't feel bad, the QC issue runs all the way up the line. You have to shop around. Best of luck with your new find.

3. dryicekills

dryicekills Member

thanks...if i had a camera, id take pictures. i feel like i got a really good guitar for a really GREAT price. i'd completely overlooked this guitar for so long. its my first LP and i'm definitely satisfied. i checked the 5 guitars in the store, and this one had the fewest pieces of wood (the only line i saw being straight up the middle). i feel like my other guitars will ALL get put on the back burner for awhile.

4. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Hey dryicekills,

Welcome to The Gear Page!
    This is a great place...

5. operanonverba

Two cool easy mods I've seen and done on these in the past are to get some polish and buff up the nitro for a more glossy finish. Another, which I did on one I had was to swap the plastic out for creme. It looked cool to me with the brown color. Not everyone's bag though. I like my other guitars but I'm definitely a Les Paul guy!

6. dryicekills

dryicekills Member

what sort of polish did you/ should I use?

Also, I've noticed that the fretboard is lighter in color on mine than the others that I could've chosen . Is this attributed to anything negative, such as unhealthy wood, or overly dry wood? Thanks to whoever answers.

7. operanonverba

Sorry to be so long getting back to you. I used my regular guitar polish, I think it's GH or GL. It's made for guitars. Others have used Meguires auto polish and turtle wax. Any type of polish for finishes that is not too abrasive will work. Take off everything you can and start by hand. Finish up carfully with a buffing wheel on a drill. Go sloooowwly and keep the speed low. Good luck. PM me if you need anything else. It takes me a while to re-check posts.

8. dave s

dave s Member

Welcome. Talk about scoring a 'perfect 10' on his first thread! Congrats on the new guitar. Pics to follow, I'm sure?

dave

9. dryicekills

dryicekills Member

thanks for the info. much appreciated. however, the more i play the guitar, the more i feel that the LACK of shine is what makes me love it.

and sorry, but i dont have a digital camera. next investment, maybe!

10. jay66

jay66 Member

These are great guitars and a fine deal. The only thing I could bitch about with mine is it had a couple of sharp frets and needed to be setup right but I fixed those problems long ago, it sounds and plays great now.

11. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Yeppers, I bought one of those Vintage 'Hog LPs last year, and I really dig it. Just last month, I upgraded it with a Bigsby tailpiece and the ZZ Guitarworks mounting system (no permanent change to guitar). Now it's even more useful to me. BTW - I had no QC issues with mine!

Welcome to TGP, dryicekills.

12. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Welcome dryicekills and congrats on the new guitar.

Don't feel bad about the camera either......all of money goes to guitars so I'm without one too!

13. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

Congrats on the LP and welcome to TGP! My LP Vintage Mahogany is a great guitar! I love it! Oh, since you're new to TGP, probably a good idea to forget your PayPal account and hide your credit cards. This place is dangerous ;)

14. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Welcome to the board :) Congrats on the LP!

15. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Enjoy in good health. And welcome to you.

16. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to the board, dryicekills (I'd like to abbreviate that but it wouldn't come across the way it was intended). Sounds like a great guitar - if you'd like to darken the fretboard and do a nice thing for the wood at the same time, treat it with some Fret Doctor bore oil. It's great stuff - a little bit goes a long way.

17. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

18. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Welcome and congrats of the axe. I hope you're pleased with your new member too (pics not needed, thanks).

19. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Welcome to the gear page Aaron. Now get back to work. Only I am allowed to be on TGP while on company time.;)

20. 5E3

5E3 Member