New Member with 12 string bass

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by mspin, May 28, 2015.

1. mspin

mspin Member

I am a recording artist that very recently acquired a 12 string bass for recording. I have always loved the sound of Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick and finally have got my own signature bass sound. The guitar is a Dean Rhapsody with EMG's. I tune it standard and love the harmonic sound. Here is a pic
    [​IMG]

2. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

cool bass. don't see too many of them for sale these days.
    personally, I have always lusted after the 10 string (octave course) bass john paul jones was playing live with Them Crooked Vultures on Austin City Limits. IIRC that was a custom build.

Here's a pic of a 12 stringer he plays as well: Built by Manson guitars

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http://www.12stringbass.net/Other12s.htm&ei=KQlnVcKTE4bLsATe2IPICA&bvm=bv.93990622,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNHzszZufIn9eDmz2bbgcKpsWB-ijQ&ust=1432902311569616

3. TomRichards

TomRichards Member

Super nice bass! I'd love to hear it live.

Let me know how it records. Most of the Cheap Trick catalog was recorded with P and T-Bird 4 strings.

4. mspin

mspin Member

Hello Tom,

I am including a link to the song I am sharing for a short while on soundcloud. I have just recently started using the 12 string to record with. There are some nuances with this instrument that are vastly different from recording a 4 string. The unison octave strings add some very nice harmonic brightness. The overall sound is huge. This particular song I recorded directly into my Apollo Quad and used some modest eq and compression. I am going to try playing it through my JCM 800 going into my 4X12 cabs. I like to use neumann TLM102's to mic my guitar cabs. I find them to really give a nice warmth to the sound. The high SPL of the pics lend them to be very versatile. I have tried using SM57's and some others but I keep coming back to the TLM102. I want to try to mic two speakers and blending the two on different tracks to achieve something special. I love the sound of tube amps so I think the sonic possibilities will be interesting. I can adjust the preamp on the amp to get the best possible overall sound. This guitar seems to sound like it has some hair on it due to the two unison octave strings. I love it. Any ideas you may have that you think I could try when recording this beast would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mark

5. LanEvo

LanEvo Member

12-string basses really need dual outputs IMNSHO. Send the bridge pickup to an amp with scooped mids and the neck pickup to an amp with boosted mids. Add chorus, distortion, etc. to the bridge pickup and leave the neck pickup clean, except maybe for some compression.

6. custom53

custom53 Member

A 12 string Bass has the most awesome and full sound.. Very nice..

Here is my 12 string Bass.. Hamer B12S with Dual Truss Rods.. Very similar to what Tom Peterson used before he changed brands..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picture of one of Pete's ..
    [​IMG]

And another one..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

to my ears 8 and 12-string basses need at least a little guitar amp type overdrive on the high end, those octave strings just sound clangy and nasty through clean bass speakers and especially tweeters.