New Meris pedal (Polymoon)?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lapractica, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

2. donfrantz

donfrantz Yo! You stealin’ all the cool. Silver Supporting Member

Mine should be here tomorrow.

3. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

4. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

The (hold)tap for 1/2 speed delay is the coolest feature I have seen in a very long time.. I've only had about 30 minutes in but totally caught up in that feature at the moment.

Sasquatch and donfrantz like this.
  5. elevenstrings

elevenstrings Member

Very inspiring pedal. This was like 10 minutes into it. haha

jnam, Cgkindler, molokaio and 14 others like this.
  6. lingering_lead

lingering_lead Member

Order placed. I wasn't even in the market for a delay. LOL. In fact, I don't even use most of the capabilities of myt timeline. But I love inspiring delays.

Sasquatch likes this.
  7. Modulator

Modulator Member

I got a Nemesis about a month ago, already have almost a dozen other delays, delay was the last thing I was looking for. I saw the Polymoon, and I knew I would want it, the morphing controls with one expression sweep rather than one knob really sets Meris's work in another category for me. The range of delay is amazing, I was hearing comb filter/resonator type sounds at the fastest delay times, and with the multiply and dimension knob, the slowest delay time sounds amazing.

My only "gripe" and it's a minimal one as it wasn't intended in the design, is that I wish the fastest speed had a fine control setting, so I could actually play melodies using some Karplus-Strong style "synthesis".

For those on the fence, The Polymoon is a unique delay that isn't trying to be another nostalgic form of echo. If anything, it's getting into the strange delay territory that generally is reserved for plugins and the computer. Analog purist, stay away (although the oscillation does sound pleasant and not like digital noise), experimental musicians who want to still play music that an audience would hang around for, this is for you. I haven't tried it with my guitar or the other Meris pedals, but it handles line levels (of course) very well.

I suggest trying a very slow tap tempo (like a measure) and play around with the multiplier and dimension (stereo is a must for paying around with the dimension controls). You can get some nice rhythms just from the delay multiply.

I'll record something with the Buchla in the next few days.

8. martijn

martijn Member

So excited to see all these videos and read impressions. Can't wait to receive mine. @Meris: I assume the international dealers have been sent their batch of pedals already? Wish I could track the progress from the US to my dealer....

9. Yonderwanderer

Yonderwanderer Member

Well, I'm blown away by the Polymoon. Had about an hour last night, and barely scratched the surface, just twisting knobs and getting lost in some of what I was hearing. Paired it with the Ottobit, Jr and the Mercury 7, and I could probably only play through these 3 for the next year or more and be completely satisfied.

la noise and Sasquatch like this.
  10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

Glad you are loving it! Try holding Tap to engage Half Speed, this will give you some more drone options. Also, when I am dialing in ultra short drone sounds, I find that turning the Dimension knob gives you all sorts of interesting results (almost like formant bending).

Angelo

11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

That is high praise! Thank you so much.

For all of our effects, I designed the algorithms to occur as instruments that follow and flow with what you do rather than just be static pedals you turn on/off for solos (although there is absolutely nothing wrong with that :)). I keep discovering new sounds too!

12. mamsk

mamsk Member

yooo, vids soon??

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

Thanks Jason! I have fun with that too. I get a cool sound going then hit the 1/2 speed for some titanic subterranean monster echoes. The reverse is fun too. Enter 1/2 speed before you start playing and then let go mid way through the riff for octave up goodness.

14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

Early November. In the meantime, I would be happy to answer any questions on how the I dialed in the Polymoon to create the sound clips.

Angelo

15. Yonderwanderer

Yonderwanderer Member

I would like to know details about.... all of them....

Sasquatch likes this.
  16. Yonderwanderer

Yonderwanderer Member

A couple clips of just noodling around and twisting some knobs. The first is just the Polymoon. The second is the Meris Trio.

Marshal28, mapleneck72 and Sasquatch like this.
  17. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

Danger Will Robinson!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  18. katsumura78

katsumura78 Member

Gosh I’m so jealous lol. I want one of these so bad but I need to wait till payday.

19. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

That's all I've been doing since it got here LOL. Long feedback, hit note then tap for low sub, play some licks let off and then get those cool shimmers. I am playing with the alt parameters too but always going back to the 1/2 speed, its killer.

Sasquatch likes this.
  20. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

This is a simple modular synth sequence and not guitar but I think it really helps to hear what's going on this way as I fiddle through a bunch of different settings over 120 seconds