New Mesa Alert: California Tweed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonnyducks, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Lord, that Strat tone is haunting me today.

Freaking love it.

2. Wgsig

Wgsig Member

I’m so glad this amp is getting some attention. I’m not anyone’s fanboy, but this is one of the few amps that inspires me. It’s so simple but so versatile.

MESA/Boogie likes this.
  3. Al Rose

Al Rose Gold Supporting Member

Indeed.....now I want one dang it.....thanks a lot...:rolleyes:

Al

4. Inupiat

Inupiat Member

Yeah man, only demo that captures the vibe I pick up from the cali tweed, most others do it no justice. I've been going back and forth between grabbing one of these or going the other way with a HC-30...the CT would be a phenomenal living room amp

5. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

That is a killer sounding video
    By far the best one I’ve heard
    Subscribed

6. Abandoned

Abandoned Tweed Tube Tone Purist Silver Supporting Member

It really is one of the few good demos out there. I’m hoping to check one out next week

7. Pongo

Pongo Member

I do to. I also resent you for posting that video. I really don't need any more amps, especially one I've been on the fence with for more than a year, but damn...

I'm telling myself it's just Mick, because he's one of those super talented chameleons who can pull off an amazing, authentic sound with just about anything but a djent intro or jazz fusion. Surely it's just him, and not the amp. Surely. Oh damn, it's at least partially the amp.

8. Abandoned

Abandoned Tweed Tube Tone Purist Silver Supporting Member

Many Mesa amps generally sound too “pre-ampy” to me and kinda too processed. (I hope that makes sense)

Is the Cali Tweed an exception to these factors?

Don’t get me wrong - I think Mesa makes great amps.

9. vatore3rd

vatore3rd Gold Supporting Member

Have had this amp for a few weeks now (a cool-looking slate gray version). It is exceptional. I find it works best with the master volume dimed and the gain 2/3 to 3/4. At 10W you get a nice clean tone with guitar volume (single coils) at 4-5, and an inspiring ZZ Top Hombre grind with guitar volume at 10. At 40W, same settings are glorious -- not as compressed, more headroom and dynamic range, but still a stellar grind with guitar volume at 10. Haven't felt the need to try a drive pedal so far.

I use an EQ2 pedal in front to boost for solos. I also found a few dB drop at 500 Hz + a few dB boost at 4k changes the character to a Voxy chime which is cool (my other amp is an AC30HW2x).

At 40W with master dimed it is very loud, but not as loud as the AC30. Backing off the master to 1/2 or 3/4 is a more manageable volume, but it changes the tone substantially and not for the better. I have a Dr Z Brake Lite on the way to see if I can keep the MV dimed but shave off ~5dB. I think that will be perfect -- bold cleans around 95dB, grind peaks around 102dB. Fingers crossed!