New Mesa Boogie amp: Fillmore 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PaisleyWookie, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Yeah, I agree with that too. Its a perception thing for sure. I love lower gain sounds I get out of my Dual Rec, its bright and crunchy on Raw or Vintage mode. Its just great for that type of sound and I love how it feels under the hands. The dynamics are really good. It would make sense though to go to a Vox or Marshall for that sophisticated sound. Certain amps really do well at certain things, and in the end and I think its safe to say no amp does everything perfect.

I am going to watch the used market for the next couple years as well. If the Fillmore got discontinued or if they release some other 'vintage' style amp, I would be curious to see how it impacts the price. I would love to see it become a 'classic' like the Mark or Rectifier amps, but its hard to tell right now. I know I will get one at some point.

2. SleepingSG

SleepingSG Member

I was actually in the store ready to buy a fillmore 25 when my wife called and had a minor emergency with the baby. Everything is fine but I didn’t have time to mess around with salesmen ringing me out and getting a box from the warehouse etc.

Leaning towards a LSS at this point with its proven staying power.

3. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Nice, probably a safe bet. The nice thing is, Mesa has incorporated a lot of elements of the Lonestar circuitry in all the newer/current amps. Even my Dual Rectifier (mutliwatt version) has Lonestar elements in the clean channel, I love how it sounds. As far as I know, the Mark series also has Lonestar like cleans.

One thing for sure though is the LS and LSS are the more 'pure' Lonestar amps, so you get the best of that type of sound. Its a really great amp.

4. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

I definitely don't think the last sentence there is the case. The voicing changes significantly when moving from the Clean channel to Drive, and then again from Drive to Hi.

The manual covers it in detail. "Clean" has tons of very deep bass which can get flubby if you're not careful, and is very open sounding. "Drive" adds gain, changes the frequency of the Bass control to a higher range to avoid flub and adds compression. "Hi" adds more gain and also rolls off top end as well to get more of that Mesa smooth lead sound.

Still toying around with the setup of mine, and that will probably continue since it's so versatile. I could run Clean as a dedicated scooped/Blackface clean channel, or I could dial in just a few more mids and it works great as a pedal platform. I could use Drive as my dirty rhythm channel with a boost for leads, or just use the Hi channel. I even had really good success at rehearsal last week with a Strat using Hi for both leads and rhythm with the guitar volume rolled off, even though the manual suggested Drive is better for that.

I think that's why it'll be a long term keeper for me. Get bored with one setup (which I do)? Just change your configuration around and you've got something totally different to play with.

5. Alpione

Hope everything is good!!!

MkIIC+ likes this.
  6. SleepingSG

SleepingSG Member

supposedly the fat switch on a Mesa amp is the lone star button.

But I think you’re still using your amp or choices EQ knob set up. I don’t think for example pushing the fat button on the Mark V means your mid isn’t set up as a 6-12 mid 12-5 mid boost. You get the LS sound but not the nuances of the way the controls are tuned. Likewise on a lonestar you have a ‘thicker’ option to turn the drive into a Mark esque lead tone but it’s somewhat limited in how much variation you’ll be getting from it as the amp sort of starts to lose it when the drive goes up past 2.

Man. I’m really sniffing cork though. I guess I should ask, Randall loves playing with wiring and power types. Should I be shopping Mark V or Mini-rec for LSS sounds without the cost of the fancy class A wiring? Or are they still too different for than lonestar? I’ve never actually side by sided them.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  7. SleepingSG

SleepingSG Member

:);):roll;):)
    Lol, it’s fine, was the stomach flu, and she wanted to quarantine herself away from the 2 month old. She recovered and he never got it.

Everything is great, except my guitar fix. Will resolve that soon!

cheers

ps: want the corona virus, I didn’t touch any of the asian import guitars at the store lol

Alpione likes this.
  8. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Gold Supporting Member

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. :aok

jens5 and weshunter like this.
  9. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Gold Supporting Member

No worries. I don't know what the sales numbers are, but it seems like most folks that get one really like it. Definitely keeping mine. Does twang, Texas blues, classic rock, and I can even get hair metal out of the thing. If I want "heavy" metal from it I use on OCD on the drive channel...and it gets pretty ridiculous adding gain on the high channel. Pretty rare that I use external od for this amp. To me, my Moog MF Trem in the loop completes the amp. Occasional delay in the loop.

All I know is that I really like mine, almost as much as my Rivera Jake Studio Combo, which is saying a LOT. Bonus is the weight - 45 lbs. The Jake is around 65 lbs. I broke my back a couple of years ago and that 20 lb. difference is huge for me. When I run them in stereo...well, it's just over for me!;)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Grad, Alpione and SleepingSG like this.
  10. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I’ve been listening to the Andy Timmons Band ‘Theme from a perfect world’ album on repeat. Forgotten that my favorite track on that album was dissected a bit in this Mesa video. I had kind of thought that the Fillmore 25 was higher on my list than the 50..... but, maybe not.

Abandoned, Alpione and MkIII Renegade like this.
  11. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

What about this? Does the drive/hi lack bass?

12. Alpione

Everyone needs to read the manual for this answer. Basically though, the Clean channel has the Bass control frequency set low for that big thump at low gain. When gain is increased in Drive and Hi, they set the Bass frequency higher so it won't get flubby.

https://mesa-boogie.imgix.net/media/User Manuals/fillmore50-WEB.pdf

I actually love this about the Fillmore. For home use, you can load up Clean with bass and thump away. If you want drive with lots of bass, you can set the other channel to Clean but with lots more gain. It has a LOT of bass. Even playing at home I have to drop the bass on Clean when in “tweed” mode or it just overpowers everything.

When playing with a band or wanting more compression, use Drive mode for a tighter sound. Using Clean with drive with a band can have WAY too much bass. Even Drive with the bass control up can really muddy up a band mix. I still turn mine down in Drive mode with the band.

Super versatile. Love it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  13. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

He had me at “Cry of Love!!” It sounds really good to my ears....

Alpione, StummerJoe and tjontheroad like this.
  14. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Rock machine!

15. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    * updates 'must have' list *

16. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Has anyone compared the 50 in 25 watt mode directly to a 25?

17. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

Love my 50. Not so much on the drive side but adding a J. Rocket "Dude" to drive channel is all the gain one could possibly want. BTW, either Fillmore 50 or 25 looks much better, imo., with white or cream colour knobs. Mesa doesn't offer knobs other than black so I ordered Cream, mini chicken-heads from Amplified Parts.

henryjurstin13, Joe Perry and Alpione like this.
  18. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Love the look with the cream chicken head knobs!

I've been dreaming of a Fillmore 50 with a Lone Star 4x10 cab!

Bucksears, jens5 and plan-x like this.
  19. presence

presence Member

I understand Mesa probably wanted the Fillmore series to come in at a relatively low price point to compete with Fender. I think the price is competitive for all these amps offer.

It would be nice if Mesa did a version of the Fillmore 50 with a line out and the CabClone XLR out. Even nicer would be a Fillmore 50 IR with some selectable impulse responses.

It seems like impulse response outputs will become fairly standard across amp manufacturers over the next couple of years.

20. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Have you tried a different speaker? That made a big difference for me.