New Mesa Boogie amp: Fillmore 50

epauley

Can't wait to hear some personal reviews on the amp!
The separate reverb footswitch logic, I'll take a shot at it. I have owned and loved many Boogies (currently have 3 Marks and a Recto) and I kinda get where they are coming from.
I postulate that the separate reverb footswitch is keeping it simple and reliable.
--There is a reverb level knob on each channel, and most players tend to set and forget their reverb. Since you can dial it in that much better than a global level for both channels, having a reverb footswitch is made even more unnecessary, for most.
--Having the front panel channel switch jack right under the input and the reverbs, EQ, boosts, etc... via the back panel/chassis jacks is part of the old school, Mark based way. You add what footswitches you need, a la carte. If you just need to channel switch, a simple, solid single button switch is there. This is also the pre Mark IV way, where their footswitches were not modular anymore.
--Those Boogie footswitches are solid and reliable. If you have any issues, it's easy to get parts or a cable and keep on. 1/4" jacks on the amp, no resistance switching, just solid open/close mechanical switching. Having just simple open jacks on the amp side is also proven as the long haul winner vs multi pin, DIN, etc... for jacks and plugs.
Many, like myself, just dial in a little reverb and leave it on all the time when using it. If you do that you don't need the switch so the main footswitch can be smaller and less expensive.

I've found that in many halls, particularly larger ones, there's enough natural reverberation that reverb isn't necessary, so in that situation I clearly wouldn't need the switch either.
Thanks for responding to my question. The only Mesa I own is an original Express 5:50 and, as you probably know, it came equipped with a single three-switch footswitch for selecting channels, and for turning the reverb and the contour EQ off and on. Your reasoning for excluding the option on the Fillmore (and other Mesas) makes sense — certainly not a deal breaker. In my case, there's not an urgent need to switch the reverb off and on as I seldom adjust it after the initial setup at a venue...again, just curious.

chance0

You use the word "hype" more than anyone else in this thread.
Sometimes the self-appointed anti-hypsters are the most full
of hype. Ironically enough. ;)
Cutting words. I found a bandage though. I'm immune to them now.

Here's what's going to happen: you're going to investigate the amp. You're going to find that it sounds slightly different from other Mesa amps. You're going to hear a little bit of Tweed, a little bit of spank, and a little bit of Mark I flavor. You will have most of the same reactions to these sounds as you do other Mesa amps with the same modes. You will be satisfied with cloned channels.

Mesa is a known quantity by now. If this isn't evident, your lack of experience is not really my concern.

Alchemist XP

Cutting words. I found a bandage though. I'm immune to them now.

Here's what's going to happen: you're going to investigate the amp. You're going to find that it sounds slightly different from other Mesa amps. You're going to hear a little bit of Tweed, a little bit of spank, and a little bit of Mark I flavor. You will have most of the same reactions to these sounds as you do other Mesa amps with the same modes. You will be satisfied with cloned channels.

Mesa is a known quantity by now. If this isn't evident, your lack of experience is not really my concern.
Take a deep breath and please point to the place on the doll where Mr. Mesa Boogie touched you ...

I am optimistic about this amp, but will provide my unbiased review after spending some time with it.
You are already biased if you bought it. Unless its a complete turd, which its not, you will find something to justify your purchase. But congratulations on 'taking one for the team'. You people crack me up. Have a nice day.

Pongo

Assuming it hasn't been snatched up already, will be trying out a combo today on lunch break, in order to relieve myself of the breathless speculation and hype.

If previous Mesa experiences are anything to go by, I suspect it will be pretty rad overall, and a tiny bit frustrating when it comes to really dialing things in (despite the knob/switch reduction). Pretty excited, to be honest!

mikeller

I am gassing for one - looks ideal for me. Glad to hear someone has one on the way and someone is hoping try one today!!

I have an Electra Dyne head that I pair with a Royal Atlantic wide cabinet. It sounds great but the older I get the less I want to carry, so lately I have been gigging with an early Supersonic (60) which I think sounds great and works well with my guitars/gear.