• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New Mesa Boogie amp: Fillmore 50

la noise

I’ve got a head on order for myself, but the local Mesa dealer here got in a combo so I had to go give it a try!

I played it for a bit today with my Strat and I thought it was great. Very old school Fender tones imo, Very touch sensitive and responsive, very dynamic in how it responds to your playing the guitars controls. I agree with a lot of what the guys here have already said about playing the Fillmore. I’m on the side of really liking the Hi gain mode, mainly for the way it sounds turned up a bit. It’s a little deceptive because it’s so warm and smooth, but even with vintage output pickups on my Strat I could get it to sing and feed back musically even though it didn’t sound distorted. Almost reminds me of a Fender amp pushed with a Klon if you’ve experienced that, or maybe something like a Fuchs.

Anyhow I can’t wait to get mine! In the mean time here’s a little iPhone video of me noodling on the Fillmore today:

:aok

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve got a head on order for myself, but the local Mesa dealer here got in a combo so I had to go give it a try!

I played it for a bit today with my Strat and I thought it was great. Very old school Fender tones imo, Very touch sensitive and responsive, very dynamic in how it responds to your playing the guitars controls. I agree with a lot of what the guys here have already said about playing the Fillmore. I’m on the side of really liking the Hi gain mode, mainly for the way it sounds turned up a bit. It’s a little deceptive because it’s so warm and smooth, but even with vintage output pickups on my Strat I could get it to sing and feed back musically even though it didn’t sound distorted. Almost reminds me of a Fender amp pushed with a Klon if you’ve experienced that, or maybe something like a Fuchs.

Anyhow I can’t wait to get mine! In the mean time here’s a little iPhone video of me noodling on the Fillmore today:

Man, that's sounds like more! :D

Nice demo and playing - thanks for posting!

relix63

Silver Supporting Member

Did you have it in high gain mode at the end? It sounded great.

fjs1962

Silver Supporting Member
Did you have it in high gain mode at the end? It sounded great.
Yes, switched to Hi and turned the gain up to 3 o’clock for the sustain stuff at the end. It still cleaned up nice and stayed dynamic set that way. I only played with it for 10 minutes or so before the video, I feel like it will be even better after getting to know how the controls interact. If you look the controls on the second channel we’re all set around noon.

Jazzgear

Silver Supporting Member

I wasn’t even interested in this amp - but your impromptu video sold me on it. Much more real sounding than the studio productions from Mesa and Sweetwater.

I’m placing my order tonight

epauley

Thanks for posting! Can't wait for mine (the head) to arrive.

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Silver Supporting Member

This really SUCKED BIGTIME!!! I mean... what a crappy tone.

Awe jeez... I can’t even kid myself into thinking I don’t want it. That was awesome :aok

My GAS list just got longer. THANKS TO YOU ;)

starbelly

Silver Supporting Member
My local store got the combo in today, and I immediately went over to check it out. Played through it for about an hour.

I absolutely love most of this amp.

PROS:

-One of the best cleans I've ever played. It's bouncy, has that "soft" feeling under your fingers, and a great sparkly top end.
-Like Andy Timmons mentioned in his demo, it puts out a surprising amount of low end. It's very warm and round sounding.
-I really liked the reverb! Even cranked all the way up (on the clean mode), it wasn't super overpowering.
-The DRIVE mode has a bit more bite, and you can get really nice low-medium gain chewy leads out of it. Sounds great with single coils.
-HI mode is a bit louder, but doesn't have much more gain than DRIVE; instead, it's more of a different voicing, with more lows/low-mids. This makes it ideal for velvety, sustaining lead work.

CONS:

-I was not able to coax out a desirable (to my ears) rhythm sound for the neck humbucker on my tele (SD SM-1N). It was too muddy/flubby regardless of how I EQ'd it.

Overall, very impressive amp, but I was really bummed that I wasn't able to get the driven rhythm sounds I like. Like the manual and all the promotional material says, it's definitely more vintage voiced. To me, I associate that with rounder, "duller" gain tones; I prefer punchier, cutting gain tones with a clear top end. I think my best bet will be boosting that beautiful CLEAN mode.

EDIT:

Maybe you could all help me. How would you describe the gain tones here and here? I wasn't able to coax these tones out of the Fillmore 50.

Last edited:

NewWorldMan

I dig the video, sounds good! I'm one of the oddballs that prefers an iPhone video. With a mic and "produced" clips, you're at the mercy of so many variables - mic used, mic pres and interface used, mic placement, and on and on. Everything is coloring and altering the sound, and you never know what to expect from video to video.

With an iPhone/cell phone video, while it may not be the ideal recording device, I think we've all heard/made enough cell phone recordings that we have a relatively neutral basis for comparison to know how something we're hearing sounds.

It's like an engineer with his favorite crappy studio monitors. They may sound like garbage, but he's used them for so long, he understands how everything coming out of them translates while mixing.

Last edited:

starbelly

Silver Supporting Member
First clip sounds Tweed to me.

Also sounds awesome. Didn't know those little Bassbreakers had that in them.
The Bassbreaker 15 sounds great. Would you describe that tone as chimey? Cutting? I'm not sure. I wasn't able to get it with the Fillmore.

Trending Topics