New Mesa Boogie amp: Fillmore 50

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Silver Supporting Member
Having played a lot of Mesa's over the years, my take is that they simply don't get into their sweet spot unless they're played reasonably loud.
When I am looking for an amp, I am looking for one that sounds really good well below the sweet spot.
I think the Triple Crown 50 sounds great well below the sweet spot but the "Output" knob needs to be at at least at 9:00 for the clean channel to sound it's best. The gain channels sound really good all the way down to bedroom levels. For that reason it's a stellar practice amp. I haven't gigged with it yet but the one time I jammed with it the thing sounded fantastic.

It sounds like the Fillmore could be a great amp for some players and if a person likes the Mesa brand but wants to get away from Dual Rec and Mark V tones the Fillmore could be a viable options. I'm looking forward to hearing more clips and reading more reviews.

logdrum

Dang it. I have 2 Boogie guitar amps left. I sold most of it (6 amps left) Well it looks like I am getting another one. Will be my second new - original owner Boogie.

Strat_lover

I think the Triple Crown 50 sounds great well below the sweet spot but the "Output" knob needs to be at at least at 9:00 for the clean channel to sound it's best. The gain channels sound really good all the way down to bedroom levels. For that reason it's a stellar practice amp. I haven't gigged with it yet but the one time I jammed with it the thing sounded fantastic.

It sounds like the Fillmore could be a great amp for some players and if a person likes the Mesa brand but wants to get away from Dual Rec and Mark V tones the Fillmore could be a viable options. I'm looking forward to hearing more clips and reading more reviews.
I think Mesa really was shooting for a stripped back amp, not only to have a more simple offering, but for the price point. I would imagine this amp with the output circuit, cab clone, etc. like the TC would've tacked on at least a few hundred more bucks to the sticker. This amp definitely functions in a more vintage, "normal" fashion than most boogies. It's a working man's stage amp, that's made to play loud, like most 50 watt amps are intended. That may scare off some potential buyers, but a higher price tag probably would've scared off more...

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I suspect, with the Filmore, this is true as well ... especially if the "vintage" element they're promoting has to do with the interaction between preamp and power tube overdrive.
But the manual talks about the MV being just a resistor....................great tone despite where the MV is set etc........

logdrum

Also my experience and seems counter intuitive, the high gain channel or mode on Mesas benefit from a TS or treble booster. Mesa guitar amps' high gain channels behave when threatened with a boosted signal source. They should pt that in the manuals but then we would have nothing to complain about.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
A big part of the whole "great tone" equation is a speaker cab that's being pushed hard.
I agree, which is why I don't necessarily agree with how Mesa talk about MVs in the manual.

Not saying they're wrong (as they are obviously the experts and I'm just some muppet on the internet), but there's more to the equation.

Still really digging the amp. Had a chance to play it for a while now. I've got the combo amp. Perfect size grab and go amp. Running in 50watt mode, it doesn't seem as loud as some other 50 watt amps I've owned but def seems loud enough for any gig situation barring a full on metal band. In hi mode its very easy to coax notes in to a very musical and sweet feedback. This thing is super versatile. Dwell of the reverb seems a bit long to me but it's easy to dial the reverb back and in lower settings it's very tasteful.

High/Deaf

I think Mesa really was shooting for a stripped back amp, not only to have a more simple offering, but for the price point. I would imagine this amp with the output circuit, cab clone, etc. like the TC would've tacked on at least a few hundred more bucks to the sticker. This amp definitely functions in a more vintage, "normal" fashion than most boogies. It's a working man's stage amp, that's made to play loud, like most 50 watt amps are intended. That may scare off some potential buyers, but a higher price tag probably would've scared off more...
I agree.

Rather than think of it as a stripped down TC, I'm seeing it as a more flexible. feature-packed DRRI.

They added a second footswitchable channel (with various gain settings), separate reverb controls, midrange knobs, double the output power/headroom (but switchable to DRRI levels), and it's lighter to boot. For maybe a 50% increase in price? If I didn't already have a DRRI, I'd have this on my radar. My LSS covers a lot of this ground already, though.

Puckbucker

Running in 50watt mode, it doesn't seem as loud as some other 50 watt amps I've owned but def seems loud enough for any gig situation barring a full on metal band. In hi mode its very easy to coax notes in to a very musical and sweet feedback. This thing is super versatile. Dwell of the reverb seems a bit long to me but it's easy to dial the reverb back and in lower settings it's very tasteful.
I agree that the 50 watts didn't seem very loud but that is also true for the clean mode of every Express 5:50 I've played. I'd also agree that the reverb seemed a bit heavy on the Fillmore for my tastes. I'd dial it way back.

bgh

Silver Supporting Member
I got to thinking about this more. I may be the only one but, so far, from the videos that have been posted alone, I'm not sure I view the new Fillmore as a better purchase than a used TA-30. But as we know, there's no substitute for playing any amp in person.
The TA-30 is a fantastic amp if you're more into the lower-mid gain tones ... Easy to dial in. I'd suggest testing the head and matching it with a few different cabs to get the tone you really want. The clean tones on the Voxy side are stellar, IMHO ... And you've got tweed and Marshall flavors on the other channel. Good master volume ... reverb on both channels ... master volume or not, if you want it. Even the high gain tones that are more Mesa flavored are less compressed and congested than what you typically get on Mesa amps.
When I first heard of the Fillmore, I wondered how much of the same ground it would cover as do my current Mesa amps. If it was a lot different, it would look pretty promising. But, as reviews come in and videos are viewed, it seems it and the TA-30 cover a lot of the same ground - as far as what I use. I don't use a lot of high-gain. The TA-30 is very nice for what I need it for. When I need more vintage Mark tones, the Mark-IV handles it pretty well.

chance0

The HRD is a simple, workhorse amp that most people can afford. I see the Fillmore as the same.
Many working or gigging musicians live in the sub-$1000 space in the amp budget. Mesa should start this one at $1199 to make it appealing to those guys who want to step up to a USA-built amp, but then perhaps some features would have been sacrificed. A used Express Plus will go for $700 now, and some used Lone Stars are dipping below $1000 while in mint condition. I don't see how Mesa pushes the Fillmore at $1500, especially among those guitarists just looking for a workhorse.

epauley

The HRD is a simple, workhorse amp that most people can afford. I see the Fillmore as the same.
I can understand why you might conclude this but to me, the Fillmore harkens back to an eariler blackface pre-CBS period. Supposedly, a Fillmore like amp was conceptualized even before the Mark series became Mesa's signature model. Of course, this a conjecture on my part as mine hasn't been shipped yet.

Seth L

Many working or gigging musicians live in the sub-$1000 space in the amp budget. Mesa should start this one at $1199 to make it appealing to those guys who want to step up to a USA-built amp, but then perhaps some features would have been sacrificed. A used Express Plus will go for $700 now, and some used Lone Stars are dipping below $1000 while in mint condition. I don't see how Mesa pushes the Fillmore at $1500, especially among those guitarists just looking for a workhorse.
It's a thoroughbred workhorse. They'll sell a million of 'em.

la noise

And yet, in the bigger picture you have Suhr, Bogner, and Friedman
amps with similar feature sets coming in at $2200 to $3200. I
think the price in the USA is well within reach, even to the point of
being a remarkable deal in comparison to those other brands.

Trending Topics