New Mesa Boogie amp: Fillmore 50

Hmmmm.......Mesa TA -30. I wonder what a Friedman TA-30 would be an acronym for? Any guesses?

Love this thread. Rage on.

Played a Hot Rod Deville ML today...sounds just like the videos. Honestly it kicks the Mark V cleans to the curb. Full, dynamic and perfect balance. The Mark V sounds super clear but anemic and condenesed with no blooms to notes.. I hear a bit of that in the Fillmore, not as bad though.. Imo the combos with c90 are more biased to gain tones, not cleans. It does the Mark 1 gain and channel 3 gain pretty tight for a combo.but the cleans suffer. Mesas really benefit from different cabs, although the Electradyne combo with c90 really works well as a compromise for clean and gain.

Last edited:

Jazzgear

Supporting Member
Hmmmm.......Mesa TA -30. I wonder what a Friedman TA-30 would be an acronym for? Any guesses?

Played a Hot Rod Deville ML today...sounds just like the videos. Honestly it kicks the Mark V cleans to the curb. Full, dynamic and perfect balance. The Mark V sounds super clear but anemic and condenesed with no blooms to notes.. I hear a bit of that in the Fillmore, not as bad though.. Imo the combos with c90 are more biased to gain tones, not cleans. It does the Mark 1 gain and channel 3 gain pretty tight for a combo.but the cleans suffer. Mesas really benefit from different cabs, although the Electradyne combo with c90 really works well as a compromise for clean and gain.

1967SG

TA? - Surely in another language = svelte amp builder babe magnet.:D:D:D

SRT2011

I just played the Fillmore for quite awhile, and I'm really impressed. It doesn't sound like any other production Mesa that I've played or owned; I currently own the ROV25 and V:25, and this covers very different ground. You know what that means. :Devil
I agree, the Fillmore doesn't sound or feel like any other Mesa I have played or owned which is most of them. Not saying other models are bad (I liked many), the Fillmore is definitely a new direction for Mesa. I am loving it so far.

epauley

I agree, the Fillmore doesn't sound or feel like any other Mesa I have played or owned which is most of them. Not saying other models are bad (I liked many), the Fillmore is definitely a new direction for Mesa. I am loving it so far.
This is good to hear — especially from someone who has one. As a Mesa amp owner who really likes the brand, I'm hoping for a different flavor this time around.

Andrew.

I've been in the market for an amp that can do Fender Blackface cleans and especially Fender Blackface overdrive, yet at the same time have an effects loop so I can use all the modulation I want and still enjoy a consistent drive tone without any effects muddying it up - could this be the ticket?

Really never considered anything Mesa at all, but this one in particular really piqued my interest.

Alchemist XP

What does the drive tone(s) remind you of in terms of other amps it's closest to ... (not necessarily other Mesa amps) ... If you've ever played a TA-30 that has 3 distinctly different drive tones (Vox TB, Mesa and Tweed/Marshall) is it a completely different flavor than any of those?

PaisleyWookie

I agree. I love most Mesa amps; I just see this as a new color of crayon. :D

What does the drive tone(s) remind you of in terms of other amps it's closest to ... (not necessarily other Mesa amps)
I thought it felt both looser but also smoother than most other Mesa amps. Very dynamic. Definitely has an American feel to it; I don't get a "British-ey" vibe at all.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Silver Supporting Member
The biggest difference I hear/feel between the TC clean and the Fillmore clean is how they compress when they start to break up. To me the TC clean feels like it wants to stay clean, and fights breaking up. I think that’s what Mesa was going for, because I’ve heard them talk about wanting it to stay very clean. The Fillmore clean starts to break up easier, and more like an old blackface when it’s cranked. I have to run my Morning Glory into the TC clean to get something like that.

The other thing I’ve said before, so far I’ve only heard the Fillmore through the C90 speaker in the combo cab. I’m looking forward to getting my head because then I can see what it sounds like through other speakers. I know when I had a Fender Supersonic 22 for a while it sounded great through a Celestion Creamback, so I’m expecting the Fillmore will too.
That is definitely true of the Clean channel in normal mode but in drive it breaks up pretty easily. I have a couple of Prosonic combos, the predecessor to the Supersonic, so I'm guessing our tonal preferences regarding gain aren't too far apart. I'm glad the Fillmore is working for you.

BTW, the Clean channel staying clean is one of the things I really like about the TC. My most used Fender combo is currently the George Benson HRD. Due to the 12at7 instead of a 12ax7 it has more clean headroom. I was quite surprised to find that the TC is actually a great amp for Jazz. So far, I haven't heard those tones coming out of a Fillmore.

I don’t think it’s necessary to go on and on trying to defend your rationale for not buying the Fillmore. You made your point, let it be.
Again. No thread about an amp should be limited to accolades by fans. A balanced commentary about pros and cons is much more informative than an endless stream of praise. Just because I don't particularly like what I've heard in clips doesn't mean it's a bad amp, but if my observations hold water they may be helpful to some who are considering buying one. Sadly, I've seen too many purchases based on rave reviews posted on TGP only to end up in regrets by the buyer and the amp ending up in the emporium within a week of purchase. An opinion from a different perspective can be helpful when considering an amp that has been recently released with few opportunities to actually play one.

Last edited:

SRT2011

I agree that the Fillmore gain voicings are more closely linked to American, yet it also kind of has it's own vibe to it. Also, a variety of nice gain sounds are achievable in all 3 modes. The clean mode with gain dimed offers a very nice alternate overdriven sound which is why having two identical preamps makes the Fillmore so versatile! The Fillmore is by far the most vintage sounding and feeling than Mesa that I have ever played.
It really needs to be played to be appreciated if "vintage" is what one is after.

stratzrus

Silver Supporting Member
I agree that the Fillmore gain voicings are more closely linked to American, yet it also kind of has it's own vibe to it. Also, a variety of nice gain sounds are achievable in all 3 modes. The clean mode with gain dimed offers a very nice alternate overdriven sound which is why having two identical preamps makes the Fillmore so versatile! The Fillmore is by far the most vintage sounding and feeling than Mesa that I have ever played.
It really needs to be played to be appreciated if "vintage" is what one is after.
:agree

What I'm hearing is Fender plus Mesa, not just Fender.

relix63

Supporting Member
I would love to play one of these but there isn't a Mesa dealer anywhere near me. I probably won't have a chance to test one until they show up on the used market. On paper it sure looks like it would work for me.

epauley

I would love to play one of these but there isn't a Mesa dealer anywhere near me. I probably won't have a chance to test one until they show up on the used market. On paper it sure looks like it would work for me.
I hear you and wish a Mesa dealer was closer (about 90 miles in my case to Columbus, Ohio). There was one about 35 miles away but it stopped selling them. There is only one other music store in between but unfortunately, it can't afford more expensive inventory. Consequently, this time I elected to purchase mine online...wouldn't be my choice otherwise.

bgh

Supporting Member
Again. No thread about an amp should be limited to accolades by fans. A balanced commentary about pros and cons is much more informative than an endless stream of praise. Just because I don't particularly like what I've heard in clips doesn't mean it's a bad amp, but if my observations hold water they may be helpful to some who are considering buying one. Sadly, I've seen too many purchases based on rave reviews posted on TGP only to end up in regrets by the buyer and the amp ending up in the emporium within a week of purchase. An opinion from a different perspective can be helpful when considering an amp that has been recently released with few opportunities to actually play one.
This is why I posted my comments. While I have not seen one in person, much less played one, I began to sense from other comments and video that while it was a very good amp, it probably would not fit into my scheme of things. I didn't see it as a dis to the Fillmore to post it. The Fillmore is a great amp. Some players will love it, but others will find it doesn't meet their needs. And this is coming from a long-time Mesa fan.

Edit: Realized I had typed TA-30 when I meant to type Fillmore. (The TA-30 is also a great amp).

Last edited:

Pongo

This!

I've found TGP really helpful for at least getting me "in the ballpark" in this regard when amp/guitar hunting, and it has opened me up to gear I didn't even know existed before; both the positive and negative feedback is important.

Of course products come with people who need to bullhorn their fanboyism/hatred, which is not helpful, but it's pretty easy to figure out who is who if ya lurk in the forums long enough.

fjs1962

Silver Supporting Member
That is definitely true of the Clean channel in normal mode but in drive it breaks up pretty easily
There's a good reason for this: the drive and tight switches engage what amounts to a overdrive circuit with the gain, tone and output preset in front of the amp. It's a great feature. I mainly use it to tighten and focus the red channel on my TC and use my other drive pedals if I want to hit the clean or blue channels harder. What I think would really be cool is if they had made it footswitchable, but they built so much into the TC anyhow that that might just be too much. :)

My favorite way to get a light grit from the TC clean is my JHS Morning Glory pedal. The Morning Glory sounds like it was made for the TC clean, they blend so nicely together!

stratzrus

Silver Supporting Member
There's a good reason for this: the drive and tight switches engage what amounts to a overdrive circuit with the gain, tone and output preset in front of the amp. It's a great feature. I mainly use it to tighten and focus the red channel on my TC and use my other drive pedals if I want to hit the clean or blue channels harder. What I think would really be cool is if they had made it footswitchable, but they built so much into the TC anyhow that that might just be too much. :)

My favorite way to get a light grit from the TC clean is my JHS Morning Glory pedal. The Morning Glory sounds like it was made for the TC clean, they blend so nicely together!
I've posted a zillion times that I wish they'd made the drive switch MIDI capable. If it weren't for the 5 year warranty I'd get it modded for a relay like I did on my Deliverance 120.

On the recommendation of a TGP'er I picked up a Grid Slammer. That's pretty close but it never duplicates the very lowest gain overdrive that the drive switch does.

Last edited:

PaisleyWookie